.exe by default opens in I.E..now how to deal???

SRJ

Disciple
What if someone accidentally open '.exe' in 'I.E' and while doing this accidentally choose it as a default program to open???
Now...how to deal with it????
Any suggestions???

Just right click the .exe file while pressing shift and "choose open it with" and then select your desired program and choose it as your default program.

If the avobe solution doesn't work right click the .exe file and select properties, you can choose default program for those type of files from there.

But if you don't mind, I didn't understand the problem correctly. How can .exe file's opens in IE?? I mean say if I run an application how can it open in IE???

Scan with a malware scanner. Its mostly an infection if it is automatically doing this. If it is something you did, you can always go ahead and change it from properties.

How did you get an option of opening .exe file with IE? Windows doesn't give you the option of opening executable file with a program. :S

Are you sure it's an .exe file?

Anyways, try what is suggested in above post.

^^^Right. Even I thought that. How can anyone opens .exe files in IE??

Probably it's a malware infaction. Try what that avobe member's suggested.

As it is in Windows 7 we dnt have any 'open with' option for .exe...

While applying some plug-ins of I.E...accidentally .exe opens in I.E from IDM.....

lol.. SURAJ didn't explain it correctly..

Guys what really happened was my friend downloaded a IE add-on and he thought like mozilla it can be opened in IE itself. (Didn't know it's a .exe file). So from IDM window he right clicked that file and opened it with IE. But in Win 7 when doing so, 'Always use this program' is checked.

So now EVERY .exe file is opening in IE including explorer :D . Of course PC goes into infinite loop or process!

As a temporary solution, we created a new account but how to get the old account settings back? Also in such cases what really can be done? It's like a catch-22 situation!

So it's not a malware infection for sure :D. Can ANYTHING be done in this case to preserve that account? Please note that even 'regedit' won't work as well or anything for that matter!

P.S. Suraj a.k.a SRJ is a friend of mine and this incident happened at his home while I was there!

start menu -> default programs-> set you default progs -> click explorer -> set this program as default.

Don't know. But this may help.

Back