Car & Bike F1 Australian Grand Prix 2008

kauzy said:
^^ u call that ownage???:mad:

Ferrari didn't even finish.... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

That is ownage at Alonso. His character (or lack of it).

Ferrari had a technical issue and they'll be back soon.

one race doesnt mean anything. There are 17 more to go. And eveyrone who has watched last season will understand that you simply cannot write Kimi or Ferrari out.

for the guys who watched the race, did u find any new feeling watching the race? i meant with manual controls i guess the race would be much more interesting.

I feel good for Heidfeld, what an under-rated driver he is.

Still feel McLaren shudve picked him ahead of Kimi from Sauber 3-4 years back.

montylee said:
for the guys who watched the race, did u find any new feeling watching the race? i meant with manual controls i guess the race would be much more interesting.

Seeing how much everybody was fishtailing at all the exits (notable exception Hamilton) it seemed the cars were much more on the ragged edge than previous years. Guess everybody's got some catching up to do.

I actually liked Alonso's drive. Quite spectacular, specially when he took back his place from Heiki (or was that because the latter overtook under yellow?) on the start/finish straight.

Also Williams. The team that was struggling two years back, finished with both cars in the points, now with a Toyota engine (where did those finish - let's see now), and absolutely the most improved team in three years.

Looks like things may be a lot closer this year, if Hamilton doesn't run away at the start. And restart. And restart. And restart. Was that how many times SC was called into the race?

8 cars finish out of 22? If that isn't different from other years, tell me what is ;)

sangram said:
Seeing how much everybody was fishtailing at all the exits (notable exception Hamilton) it seemed the cars were much more on the ragged edge than previous years. Guess everybody's got some catching up to do.

I actually liked Alonso's drive. Quite spectacular, specially when he took back his place from Heiki (or was that because the latter overtook under yellow?) on the start/finish straight.

Also Williams. The team that was struggling two years back, finished with both cars in the points, now with a Toyota engine (where did those finish - let's see now), and absolutely the most improved team in three years.

Looks like things may be a lot closer this year, if Hamilton doesn't run away at the start. And restart. And restart. And restart. Was that how many times SC was called into the race?

8 cars finish out of 22? If that isn't different from other years, tell me what is ;)

i can't imagine the situation at monaco :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :O:O

Just watched the complete race (iTV Coverage) :D

Was hiding from all the newspapers and websites etc, as i wanted to experience it as LIVE:p

Technical failures and mostly badluck for Ferrari..

- Kimi was out due to his mistakes, but atleast now he will get a fresh engine. Dunno he seemed uncomfortable while overtaking Heiki and Bourdais both. ECU effect maybe plus there was understeer in his Ferrari, Car setup problem may be (Although he drove spectacularly in patches)

- Massa was out due to bump with DC (But it was his mistake in the 1st corner that led him to the back of pack)

- Alonso did well to hang on with the pace. Nothing spectacular about him from that overtaking as it was Heiki's mistake as he accidently switched on Pitlane Limiter (50mph) after overtaking Alonso. Anyways he avoided any drama and drove with his car pace and was awarded. Besides his partner Piquet doesnt seem to be as impressive as he was thought to be.

Fernando Alonso isn't getting carried away with his fourth placed finish in Australia, conceding that he benefited greatly from the chaos around him.

And thats the truth. ;)

- Tough luck for Kubica, He was pretty good in Qual, But graining might have caused a considerable drop in his race pace.

- The combo of Vettel and Bourdais for Torro Rosso is pretty perfect. As both the drivers are talented and capable of dominating in the middle.

- Badluck for Heiki, As SC was out just before his Pitstop so he was sent to back of the pack. He drove "Spectacularly" i must say with transition from Renault to Mclaren. Besides overtaking Kimi and Alonso and that too with style. Definitely deserved a podium.
- Mclaren looked pretty good and drivers were very comfortable with thier cars. Lewis seems flawless but its F1 so at times even when you drive without mistake somethings bound to happen to you :p

Overall BMW were indeed sandbagging. Thier Pace is pretty good but definitely not as fast as Mclaren and Ferrari's.

Although Kubica was 2nd in Qual. He was the lightest and Massa was 4th as he was heavy as compared to both Mclaren and BMW by considerable amount.
Fernando Alonso, Renault, 4th

Strange to think that this might be Alonso's best result for the first half of the season. Given the strength of BMW and their proximity to McLaren and Ferrari, plus the continuing pace of Williams, this is less likely to be the start of things to come and more likely to be the best a man can get.

Here was a World Champion who looked just as good without traction control as he did with it, but the fact that later in the race his Renault couldn't live with the pace of Sebastien Bourdais in a Toro Rosso must be worrying.

In his private moments he must wonder if he has done the right thing by moving back to Renault. He could have been alongside Lewis Hamilton on the front row of the grid in a McLaren. He might have been on pole. There is no way he is going to become World Champion in 2008 and it's all his own making.

Though the smile of a man who has just overtaken a McLaren on the final lap of a race was one of great contentment, it can surely not make up for a season on the sidelines, no matter how much he wants to spin the line that he's back with "his family".

Source : The analysis here is pretty perfect and unbiased. A nice read

Actually only 6 cars crossed the finish line. 8 were classified. Havent seen such race too often.

But this race must have given chunk of data to the teams to figure out what they need to do.

Kimi was lucky with first safety car and unlucky with 3rd and also the technical problem.

Ferrari were fast, I still wish the FIA do away with the stupid tyre restrictions from next season. allow slicks from 1 manufacturer and let them slug it out on the track. Would be more fun. we will see more risky moves, faster cornering attempts with slicks. And will do away with tyre poker which still exists.

err Ferrari! fast but very reliable & unstable!
Ferrari is most affected team new standard MES ECU , NO TC and engine braking :(

^^
It just seems like that in 1st GP.. People jump on conclusions too soon..

The only thing that could be concluded through this GP was that Mclaren and Ferrari have the best Race Pace... and BMW is very close..

Nothing else was conlusive.. Just because thier 2cars failed at same time (Aus 06 both MSC and Massa crashed in Aus) means nothing but strings of badluck and driver error.. Technical issues here and there are part of game. If just by one failure one conclude's that TEAM is losing championship that year then one is gravely mistaken..

I cannot believe it...Heikki accidently pushed to pit lane limiter button ON ! after he overtook alonso....he says,"" After over-taking alonso as he tore off his visor,his hands triggered on the limiter ...causing him to slow down momentarily and that is how alonso managed to pass him :(

dipen01 said:
^^

It just seems like that in 1st GP.. People jump on conclusions too soon..

The only thing that could be concluded through this GP was that Mclaren and Ferrari have the best Race Pace... and BMW is very close..

Nothing else was conlusive.. Just because thier 2cars failed at same time (Aus 06 both MSC and Massa crashed in Aus) means nothing but strings of badluck and driver error.. Technical issues here and there are part of game. If just by one failure one conclude's that TEAM is losing championship that year then one is gravely mistaken..

During winter ,Ferrari's 3/7 race simulation failed! ...already it was known that ferrari is having reliability issues.In addition,last shake down of f2008 suffered engine & gearbox heat up!so nothing is coming from aus gp :bleh: ..it was already worry and even Costa mention it.

Lap Time Chart :-

snap1oi0.png

snap3gx4.png

Yes, Ferrari is quick if you consider fuel load :D

"Making fast car reliable is difficult than reliable to fast car".

...but nothing is impossible for Ferrari ;)

Forza Ferrari

Cmon now.. Just because simulation failed doesnt mean that they have issues.. Various settings with different data is tried and something or the other is bound to fail.. And they will disclose information only that they want for media to know.. Who will tell thier actually standings..

I havent beeen watchin F1 that long to comment but i havent seen some serios relaibility issue with ferrari as in them struggling whole season.. Ofcourse last year Massa had to face few.. And before that MSC's engine blew in Suzuka which handed Alonso the championship... It failed in patches... Whereas we know what Reliablity Problem means... its like Kimi in 06 or early part of 05... Where anything he did.. No matter how perfectly he drove ... Car just let him down..

I dont think its major worry for Ferrari.. Just a bad day and human errors from drivers costed them.. Else Massa and Kimi both had thier DEFINITE chances at Podiums..

And Laptimes prove nothing as Kimi was on 1 stop so he's bound to be heavy besides.. During Initial part of race he was behind Rubens for 20 Laps and soon after that he had near equal laps as Mclaren.. Then there was SC incident.. After that he messed up against Heiki and he was in for Refuel.. Again he was heavy so his laptimes doesnt give much...

And Laptimes prove nothing as Kimi was on 1 stop so he's bound to be heavy besides.. During Initial part of race he was behind Rubens for 20 Laps and soon after that he had near equal laps as Mclaren.. Then there was SC incident.. After that he messed up against Heiki and he was in for Refuel.. Again he was heavy so his laptimes doesnt give much...

Man.... he was so heavy ? I think Mark Webber is heavier. He is six feet tall.

Kimi cant weigh so much to make such a big difference. If it was me in the car, well.... that's a different story in itself.

Nikhil said:
Man.... he was so heavy ? I think Mark Webber is heavier. He is six feet tall.

Kimi cant weigh so much to make such a big difference. If it was me in the car, well.... that's a different story in itself.

^^ u completely messed up :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

he was talkin bout the car... it was on heavy fuel load... :p

P.S. or was that sarcastic :ashamed:

He left the pit lane when the light was still red and apparently he got disqualified for it. Yesterdays paper only seemed to confirm that. Although, Nikhil might come in and tell me that my paper is wrong, again.:mad:

Ck Nish said:
He left the pit lane when the light was still red and apparently he got disqualified for it. Yesterdays paper only seemed to confirm that. Although, Nikhil might come in and tell me that my paper is wrong, again.:mad:

Not this time :p

Barrichello was DQed. Sad :( . Ferrari didnt deserve that point and Honda deserved those points.

Anyway, Honda's pace is encouraging. Hope to see better stuff from them.

BTW, did anyone notice that even Narain Karthikeyan doesnt get his facts straight before writing his stupid useless article in TOI for which he must be getting paid big bucks.

He called Sebastian Bourdais, Bourdain !! I thought it was a typo but then a few lines letter, it was again BOURDAIN !!

Jeez.... why cant we have good F1 columnists in India ? Why dont they give me the job ? I sure could use the money.

Back