Graphic Cards Fan replacement for Msi ventus GPU

combatknife

Disciple
I have a MSI ventus 1660ti bought from the US. A few days ago i noticed that one of the fan blade is broken off . I checked the card since there was a buzzing sound coming under load. What happened to it or where it disappeared is still a mystery. No sign of the broken blade within the case or within the shroud.
Is there someplace where i can get a replacement fan for cheap? Any compatible fan should work.
I see listings in aliexpress but shipping charges seems to be high at 80$.
IMG-20210914-WA0003.jpg

If replacement isn't, just deshroud the card and use regular 120mm fan(s) strapped to the heatsink, assuming you have space under the card to do so.
This will likely give you better temps and noise as well.
Here's a relevant video to get you started with it:

temps are fine. Issue is that the card vibrates a lot beyond 50% fan speeds. I am afraid that the vibration will eventually kill the fan or may be the other one also.

This might sound hacky, hear me out.
Since your temps are fine and the only issue here is vibration. I suggest you break off the fin opposite to the empty/broken one to counterbalance the weight distribution. Since your fan is broken anyway, I don't see additional harm done. It is the non-uniform weight distribution that is causing vibration. Good for short term till you find a compatible fan to replace it with.

The above makes sense because
1) It's already broken. You've got nothing to lose.
2) Exact replacement is very hard to find in India.

My old MSI 1050Ti fan died on me while gaming. It was a single fan card so hunted a lot for the replacement but wasn't able to find any. Ultimately I bought a 90mm 2 pin fan from amazon and mounted it on the heatsink of the GPU by removing the shroud. The performance was better than stock cooler and the GPU can control fan speed as well.
Just make sure if the replacement fan also has the same Voltage and current ratings as original if you intend to power it from PCB of the GPU else you can power it via 12V on motherboard.

Decided to live with it for now. Meanwhile i jammed the broken fan. Now the other fan runs at maximum. So the vibration is 'solved' with a little bit of fan noise..

GPU can control fan speed as well.
You didn't have to use an adapter? I had to use one to convert it from 4 pin PWM to mini 4 pin that's on the GPU.
Decided to live with it for now. Meanwhile i jammed the broken fan. Now the other fan runs at maximum. So the vibration is 'solved' with a little bit of fan noise..
Jammed that fan? That's not going to hurt the fan?

You didn't have to use an adapter? I had to use one to convert it from 4 pin PWM to mini 4 pin that's on the GPU.
I did. What I ordered had a motherboard 4 pin at the end but it only had 2 wires so no PWM, only voltage based control and that is exactly what my GPU also had, a 2 pin fan.
So I just had to swap the connector at the end to appropriate size using the original one.

I also added a review on the product with pics on amazon: https://www.amazon.in/gp/customer-reviews/R1TVOAX43AM1FU/

So if i connect to the board , will it be possible to control the fan according to gpu temp? Know there are fan control softwares but they dont set fan speeds according to gpu temps.

I'd recommend a PWM fan that'll be great for this fan controlling purpose.
you can run furmark bench and manually adjust speeds, I'm using Asus Suite software to controller speeds!

p.s. Better option is to connect it to GPU board that'll auto control fan according to GPU temps
or you can make a fan curve in MSI afterburner also!

Found the missing fan blade. Removed the shroud to try a noctua fan and found the blade stuck inside. What can mend the broken blade? superglue i guess, or something else?.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2021-09-26 at 14.59.53.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-09-26 at 14.59.53.jpeg
    162 KB · Views: 71
You can try glue gun or fevikwik but just remove it totally as you're going to put a noctua on it it'll be much cooler than stock ones.

The above makes sense because
1) It's already broken. You've got nothing to lose.
2) Exact replacement is very hard to find in India.

My old MSI 1050Ti fan died on me while gaming. It was a single fan card so hunted a lot for the replacement but wasn't able to find any. Ultimately I bought a 90mm 2 pin fan from amazon and mounted it on the heatsink of the GPU by removing the shroud. The performance was better than stock cooler and the GPU can control fan speed as well.
Just make sure if the replacement fan also has the same Voltage and current ratings as original if you intend to power it from PCB of the GPU else you can power it via 12V on motherboard.
You can only use GPU temps to control fan speed post deshrouding if you have a mini 4 pin to 4 pin adapter. I haven't found one in India.

Back