FIFA World cup 2010 discussion thread

b_naresh said:
What was expected to be a keenly contested match turned out to be such a one-sided affair!

I very well knew that Argentina will get raped. They hadn't faced one one good team and everyone was busy hyping them up. Maradona is a tactically incompetent coach. Heck, even Bolivia thrashed them 6-1 in the CONMEBOL qualifiers.

Cambiasso and Zanetti had to be selected. They also lacked a creative force in the midfield - someone like Riquelme with whom Maradona was busy feuding with.

pinarina said:
I very well knew that Argentina will get raped. They hadn't faced one one good team and everyone was busy hyping them up. Maradona is a tactically incompetent coach. Heck, even Bolivia thrashed them 6-1 in the CONMEBOL qualifiers.

Cambiasso and Zanetti had to be selected. They also lacked a creative force in the midfield - someone like Riquelme with whom Maradona was busy feuding with.
Agreed , not selecting Cambiasso and Zanetti was a big mistake from Maradona . Defensively Argentina were in shambles .

pinarina said:
I very well knew that Argentina will get raped.
Oh really, did not see you say that before the game began.

Why not tell us how the Spaniards will do against them then ?

pinarina said:
They hadn't faced one one good team and everyone was busy hyping them up.
I get the impression this is true for S.American teams in general, its either Brazil or Arg, same like last time exited at the QF stage. The one thing good for Brazil is maybe they might go back to that former flair& artistic play now that Dunga's strategy did not work.

pinarina said:
Maradona is a tactically incompetent coach.
He's done no worse than the previous much more 'qualified' coach at the last WC who just got his team to the QF.

Btw many who slated Maradona in the press when the qualifiers began have already apologised, maybe they should have waited longer.

pinarina said:
Heck, even Bolivia thrashed them 6-1 in the CONMEBOL qualifiers.
So why aren't Bolivia in the WC then :)

pinarina said:
I have no clue what went wrong with Arg, the only weak element was their defence but then the star strikers could not break down the german defence.

In the end Arg was a grp of individuals whereas Germany were a team.

blr_p said:
Oh really, did not see you say that before the game began.

blr_p said:
Right, so you did not really KNOW that Argentina were going to get raped then did you :p

This:
pinarina said:
^^^ you really think that Netherlands will be a cakewalk for Brazil? :lol: I really don't think so.

People are overrating Argentina and underrating the teams like Netherlands. Does anyone even know how Argentina qualified for the WC? Maradona is an idiotic tactically naive coach. Argentina will get knocked out the day they face a tactically competent team. (Germany)

However, it's football. Anything can happen.

Out of the current teams in the Quarter finals, the country which truly deserves to win a World Cup is Netherlands for pioneering Total Football in 1974. That team was legendary. I'm an eternal Brazil fan, but rooting for Netherlands.

blr_p said:
He's done no worse than the previous much more 'qualified' coach at the last WC who just got his team to the QF.

Pekerman was a tw@t too. Subbed off Riquelme against Germany and then Germany equalized. The Argentina Football Association also has no idea whom to appoint as the manager. :)

blr_p said:
Btw many who slated Maradona in the press when the qualifiers began have already apologised, maybe they should have waited longer.

Korea, Greece, Nigeria. The only decent team they faced was Mexico. No one apologised actually. :)

pinarina said:
Argentina will get knocked out the day they face a tactically competent team. (Germany)
See, Argies did slightly worse than england who at least managed to get one goal.

So both these teams don't do tactics well ?

Something else maybe.

pinarina said:
Out of the current teams in the Quarter finals, the country which truly deserves to win a World Cup is Netherlands for pioneering Total Football in 1974. That team was legendary. I'm an eternal Brazil fan, but rooting for Netherlands.
I will support any team that knocks out the Germans :)

well todays match was nightmare for me :(

World cup is over for me .

Argentina defending was so weak man .

Maradona's champ Messi also failed today :(

Bad day for Argentina fans like me

blr_p said:
So both these teams don't do tactics well ?

England's national team has one of the greatest modern manager - Fabio Capello. However, their players don't really care about representing the nation and their media is like India TV. It keeps on hyping them up before every major tournament. The Gerrards, Lampards, Terrys and Wooneys haven't really done anything for their country tbf. Last time they didn't even qualify for the Euro 08. They all are league performers and happy earning £100k per week.

The days of Lineker, Gascoigne, Shilton are over. The last player who actually did something for England were Alan Shearer and Sol Campbell.

Another reason is that EPL actually has more overseas talent compared to the national talent. All clubs are responsible for this. Clubs like Chelsea are one of those who don't really promote youth football imho.

Have a look at the German squad. All of them play in the Bundesliga. Bundesliga spends much much more money on their youth facilities than the EPL.

Argentina did'nt deserve to win. They did'nt even get the ball close in the D, how can anyone expect them to score.

pinarina said:
Another reason is that EPL actually has more overseas talent compared to the national talent. All clubs are responsible for this. Clubs like Chelsea are one of those who don't really promote youth football imho.
I don't entirely buy this one because it implies Capello could not have chosen a better team.

But the team he chose did not deliver, which leaves open the charge that he could have chosen differently.

kauzy said:
I have absolutely no words for this line of urs..
Its a long standing grudge because they always beat the team I support :(

Anyway back to the game, what is happening here ?

Is the Paraguayan defense that good, it looked awesome in the qulaifiers or is Spain conserving their energy. They think they only need one goal to win.

legit goal disallowed , paraguay is pressing spain for everything its worth , but cant see them keep it up for 90 mins ...if only that goal had stood ...lucky spain

^ I may be wrong but wasn't Cardozo (who was offside) involved in the play ? I think it was a correct decision ..

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

pinarina said:
I said this.

I replied to that only .. He wasn't the best player ever to play in the premier league .. Cantona , Ronaldo , Lampard , Shearer , Henry , Keane to name a few still are /were amazing .

Personally I think Ronaldo was/is much more talented than Bergkamp ever was .

Spain in in trouble, penalty given.

Errr............

Damn it.

Brilliant save though.

WTF, penalty given to Spain now. Geez.

Penalty taken, spanish player enters box too early, penalty scored but ruled out because of spanish player in box and taken again and saved.

OMFG! what a drama!.

LMAO COL.

Back