Firefox and Chrome are squaring off over ad-blocker extensions

I am very scared to use Adguard Home setup on my router, as in use the RPI4 ad guard DNS on router as if my RPi4 goes down for whatever reason, my internet would be shut and if I am not at home, no one would know how to fix. Also, if ever power goes, I have observed that when it comes back, the router takes couple of minutes or so to get network and since RPi4 is already on , it will not latch to the network, no idea why and only fix is to shut down Pi and restart physically by powering off and on.

I am very scared to use Adguard Home setup on my router, as in use the RPI4 ad guard DNS on router as if my RPi4 goes down for whatever reason, my internet would be shut and if I am not at home, no one would know how to fix. Also, if ever power goes, I have observed that when it comes back, the router takes couple of minutes or so to get network and since RPi4 is already on , it will not latch to the network, no idea why and only fix is to shut down Pi and restart physically by powering off and on.
Use public Adguard DNS servers: https://kb.adguard.com/en/general/dns-providers#adguard-dns

As for the power down issue, I have my modem/routers/pi and any other networking equipment on inverter backup but I simulate the downtime when I restart my modem/router and my Rpi auto-connects to the Wifi when it comes back on.

My router and extender already has a ton of dhcp issues. Pihole made it worse. And it doesn't help that my pi becomes non responsive once in a week or so. Gave up after that

@enthusiast29 These are the kind of issues I was talking about. We any predict these, but they happen all the time.

@enthusiast29 These are the kind of issues I was talking about. We any predict these, but they happen all the time.
Honestly @greenhorn's issues sound like a bad extended router setup if there are DHCP issues causing IP conflict or Double NAT and other horrors. It has nothing to do with a local server setup. He already has issues with existing network.

I am also using extended router with DHCP off and deligating the DHCP server to primary router only. I have no issues running upto 20 devices.

You can find my network layout here: https://techenclave.com/threads/isolated-guest-router-network-setup-on-existing-network.205921

Problem with guest router (3rd) is resolved but layout remains same.

Anyways, I'm not forcing anyone to use a Local Pi-hole setup if they don't want to. People are free to choose their own solutions whatsoever they see fit.

Last edited:
Use public Adguard DNS servers: https://kb.adguard.com/en/general/dns-providers#adguard-dns

As for the power down issue, I have my modem/routers/pi and any other networking equipment on inverter backup but I simulate the downtime when I restart my modem/router and my Rpi auto-connects to the Wifi when it comes back on.

My RPi is connected via LAN and still it doesn't auto connect. The only proper chronology is...Turn On Router -> Wait for proper internet to be On -> Turn on RPi4.

Anyways, I'm not forcing anyone to use a Local Pi-hole setup if they don't want to. People are free to choose their own solutions whatsoever they see fit.
It's not that you're forcing anyone. It's about insisting that it's not that complicated. Somehow people who are familiar with networking and Linux tend to not understand that these things are actually quite complicated and it seems simple to them only because they're already familiar with it.

It totally depends on the router. When I used Pi-Hole in the past, I tracked the queries with and without the secondary DNS (which I used to set as the Adguard Public DNS). All queries went to the Pi-Hole till it was shut down.

Most routers are designed to switch to secondary only when the primary is busy or unreachable, so the proportion of queries going to the secondary DNS is not going to be much and if you specify a public ad blocking DNS, then you will still continue to get generic ad blocking.

Of course, if you can set up ad blocking on the router itself (like Adguard Home on Asus Merlin), then there is no issue of configuration at all.
Well unless the router documents that the secondary dns is a failover, the only way to find that out is to trace the queries as you have mentioned. I faced the same issue with my Iball router when I set only the primary to Pi Hole at first and 8.8.8.8 as the secondary. Thereafter I moved to device specific blocking but again setting only the primary as the Pi Hole on Windows are not blocking all ads. Your idea of setting the secondary DNS with a public ad-blocking DNS is a pretty good one as that retains the existing ad-blocking functionality while continuing to provide name resolution if the Pi Hole goes down.

It's not that you're forcing anyone. It's about insisting that it's not that complicated. Somehow people who are familiar with networking and Linux tend to not understand that these things are actually quite complicated and it seems simple to them only because they're already familiar with it.
I agree with the sentiment I never said it's not complicated. It would definitely be somewhat complicated for someone who's new to linux and networking and for them routers/gateways/modems are just a backbox.
All they want is internet and ad-free if possible. In that case I suggested using a public DNS such as Adguard. No local setup needed. Just have to put in the IP in primary and secondary DNS in the modem/router and you're set.

Something being "complicated" is a matter of knowledge and perspective. It can't be generalized.

Back