First step into head-fi! :D Well, almost. :\

^ No ways the Porta Corda and Maverick sounded in the same range ,from my listening experience :p Nevertheless the Porta Corda is one of the best VFM DAC + amps Ive heard .I was gonna buy it from Brendon but it wasn't very portable so had to let it go :(.

FaH33m said:
^ No ways the Porta Corda and Maverick sounded in the same range ,from my listening experience :p Nevertheless the Porta Corda is one of the best VFM DAC + amps Ive heard.
Good to know :)

Price wise the maverick sells for more than the porta today.

In 2006 it would have cost the same as the maverick today.

This is one of the tricky aspects of the game. Do you go with something more uptodate or get a second hand one for less. The tendency is always to go with more recent and brand new vs used or older. But this might work or not if one was going with something more recent in the meier range than with another brand altogether.

blr_p said:
Both the maverick & the porta corda are in the same range, decent for starter DAC's.

Except that the Maverick offers better inputs and not to mention the tube pre-outs which is certainly an added advantage. Besides, the Maverick is also an excellent pre-amp and not just headphones amp. :p

raja_mastana said:
If a user wants to use PC > amp > bookshlves, is this the best option? How about ibasso d4? Its also in the same price range.

This is one good option IMO. But that method you have posted, works for powered bookshelves such as AudioEngine A2/A5. If you need to hook a pair of passive bookshelves, PC>Mav D1>Power amp>Bookshelves is the option.

I haven't heard the D4 Mamba but from what I garner from reviews and user impressions, it is an excellent DAC and a standalone amp.

Vandal said:
The world of mid-fi awaits...congrats :)

Danke! :p

raja_mastana said:
Congrats Gannu!

If a user wants to use PC > amp > bookshlves, is this the best option? How about ibasso d4? Its also in the same price range.

the d4 would be fine for iems or not-too-high-impedance headphones
you would need a fullsized amp for bookshelves..the norge2060 is a popular choice around here

^heh he you know I was kidding before! Thanks mucho for the link. IIRC I saw the ad in What HiFi Mag sometime back. Thanks Vandal. :)

Desecrator said:
Except that the Maverick offers better inputs and not to mention the tube pre-outs which is certainly an added advantage. Besides, the Maverick is also an excellent pre-amp and not just headphones amp. :p
More options for inputs true, but the only input that matters is USB right ? As presumably that gets you the cleanest signal given the source is a PC.

Can you explain about the pre-outs ?

Why is a pre-amp needed when an amp is supposed to do the job anyway.

blr_p said:
More options for inputs true, but the only input that matters is USB right ? As presumably that gets you the cleanest signal given the source is a PC.

Can you explain about the pre-outs ?

Why is a pre-amp needed when an amp is supposed to do the job anyway.

Hey, USB is not the cleanest form of digital input to a device. It usually is accompanied with a lot of jitter. As a result the output signal is flawed to a certain extent. Thus, there are devices such as the M2Tech HiFace or the Musiland Monitor which are essentially USB to SPDIF converters but the output has jitter is reduced to a larger extent thus the DAC receives a much cleaner signal input.

Shall tell you about the pre-amp when I get back home. :)

*runs to catch the bus* :p

Desecrator said:
Hey, USB is not the cleanest form of digital input to a device.
Sure but what else gives you the cleanest signal from your rig to the Maverick ?

The idea of going with USB is somehow you do away with the electrical noise that is inherent in your mobo. The tradeoff is the added jitter, but that's relatively less of a problem than coming out of your soundcard or is it ?

Recall reading a USB2 DAC is better than a USB1 in this regard. Your Maverick i think is still a USB1.
Desecrator said:
Thus, there are devices such as the M2Tech HiFace or the Musiland Monitor which are essentially USB to SPDIF converters but the output has jitter is reduced to a larger extent thus the DAC receives a much cleaner signal input.
You have one of those ?

blr_p said:
Sure but what else gives you the cleanest signal from your rig to the Maverick ?

None other than these. TBH I'm yet to find an answer to this question. USB, coaxial or optical - which is *the* best! :p

I've gone with the USB since my el cheapo G31 motherboard does not have a optical nor a coxial out. But it has a header though. I'm being lazy not to make a simple header for the coaxial out. :p

blr_p said:
Recall reading a USB2 DAC is better than a USB1 in this regard. Your Maverick i think is still a USB1.

Yes, the D1 is a USB 1.1 device. There are DACs based on the USB 2.0 standard. Not sure how it differs from though. E-MU-0202 is one such device. :)

blr_p said:
You have one of those ?
Nope they are very expensive. The M2Tech HiFace costs about 7~8k IIRC and the Musiland Monitor costs less than that. Besides, my present setup does not warrant one. When I may invest in a separate amp and a pair of good bookshelves, I may have to buy one of these. :)

Back