Monitors Flickering, Stuttering videos on my new MSI G44F E2

Woonz

Recruit
Hello, I bought my PC last month and since then I have been facing a unique problem which I am unable to resolve.
My monitor ( MSI G244F E2 ) on startup is unable to play certain videos (YouTube, Twitch etc.) and shows them in frames as if I am lagging or stutter.
However, this is not consistent with every video that I play. The funny part is the ads running before playing a laggy/ stuttery stream on twitch or YouTube video plays absolutely fine.

Also, I have no issues running a game and do not face any lag or stutters in game.
At present, the only way to fix it is to shut down the PC and switching it on. Doing so there is a random 50/50 chance it will fix by itself.

Troubleshooting-
1. The drivers are updated for my motherboard, monitor and GPU.
2. I am using the HDMI cable provided by the company. The problem persists on 60 upto-180 HZ. Changing the HZ doesn't fix the issue, so I assume a DP cable won't fix it.
3. I have checked the ports to ensure there isn't any loose connection multiple times.
4. Using a new 4-point Honeywell Power connector.

Please note: Restart never fixes the issue. I need to switch the pc off and switch it on. (Is the issue power draw related? I maybe wrong.)
https://vimeo.com/1013938883?share=copy (VIDEO LINK TO THE ISSUE)

Help me fix the issue. Thank you.

Attachments

• Monitor details.png
    Monitor details.png
    50.9 KB · Views: 18
  • CPU.png
    CPU.png
    51.3 KB · Views: 20
  • PC.png
    PC.png
    194 KB · Views: 19
Have you tried a different browser? What's your CPU usage like in task manager? How's your internet speed test with fast.com?

This looks like it might be related to hardware acceleration, you could try disabling that in the browser's settings.

Alternatively, try changing the streaming bitrate/quality and see if that's any different.

The problem persists on 60 upto-180 HZ. Changing the HZ doesn't fix the issue, so I assume a DP cable won't fix it.
This alone tells me its most probably about FreeSync than anything else.
Could also be browsers fault since you haven't clarified if this only happens on browser or on your whole PC as well.
Can you try re-installing fresh GPU drivers? Use DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) to uninstall GPU drivers. It's better than default uninstaller.

Thank you everyone.
Disabling hardware acceleration in the Microsoft Edge browser fixed the issue.
Now that it is fixed can someone explain what does hardware acceleration in a browser do/mean?

What I found on the net is that - "Twitch/Youtube keeps buffering on edge/chrome" often happens if you are using Edge/Chrome as your sole browser. Edge/Chrome is notorious for taking up a lot of memory and thus leaving little to nothing for your stream.

Which memory does it signify? I tested two browsers simultaneously.
Edge with Hardware acc ON had the issue but Firefox with default settings did not.
Link to test - https://vimeo.com/1014779806?share=copy

Hardware acceleration just means that it will try to use available hardware (which in your instance is your GPU) to accelerate the tasks that it can. Some tasks are done better (read faster and smoother) using GPU than CPU. It has pros and cons like how using it can divide overall load on your system efficiently so you have better experience but sometimes it can have issues like you had.

Chromium based browsers are known to consume too much memory (RAM), be it a myth or real. Especially chrome browser. Edge is chromium based while Firefox uses its own thingy.

How much RAM does your system have? If your PC starts running out of RAM the whole thing starts to slow down, not just the browser. If I'm to guess its a browser specific issue (maybe an extension is causing this issue) and reinstalling the browser should fix it.

Back