Flipkart returns mobile website

Reportedly Flipkart is back to senses and have re-introduced its mobile website.

Flipkart is not going completely app-only. It has reintroduced a mobile web option -- something it had discontinued in March.

The new mobile web application, however, is an extremely light version, and provides an app-like experience. Called Flipkart Lite, it is designed for those who do not want to install apps -- for reasons like low storage capacity on the phone -- and to allow customers to use Flipkart straight from links on other websites and social media.

Source

I hope they do this
"We know that screwed up last time with our app only policy. So after some YOLO meetings with our board we decided to do something about it. We've now implemented a new web version for our users who didn't want to install the app. However we'll be disabling our computer web version. In return users will get many flash sales in our mobile web version as well as on the app albeit unbelievely ridiculous very limited quantity of products. We hope that this new feature will help us gain some % of the customers when our smaller rivals in Snapdeal and Amazon kicked our butt! We also hope that you shopping on our site. Everyone at Flipkart wishes you a Happy Diwali".
Please flipkart :(

Since Flipkart has taken a U-turn I'd like to share an excerpt from one Snapdeal's Kunal Bahl interview a few months ago:
TOI: Why? Even Snapdeal sees almost 75% of its total orders through its mobile platform?
Kunal Bahl: What about the remaining 25%? Why should we change consumer behaviour, when it pertains to moving from PC to mobile, when consumers want PC? It's not right to see it only from the perspective that 25% of our orders come through the PC. Twenty-five percent of all discovery for orders that are eventually placed on mobile come from the PC. People start browsing on the PC and start buying on the mobile. When these guys (Myntra) announced they were going app-only, we decided to hold a survey for our consumers...
While only 20-30% use the PC platform, 80% of all consumers wanted the PC site to remain. We're not going to go against consumers' wishes. How do you get 300 million
ecommerce buyers on your platform?
You have to offer all choices--all choices in terms of all screens and all payment methods. Our overall team feels very strongly about this. We've had discussions about this, and we were like (Myntra's) is the dumbest and most consumer-unfriendly idea ever.
Good guy Kunahl Bahl.
Source:
http://timesofindia.com/tech/tech-n...pdeal-CEO-Kunal-Bahl/articleshow/48742022.cms

Last edited:
I was unsatisfied by my previous two deliveries on Flipkart . I too have been a regular satisfied customer from its inception .
Ordered an American tourister bag , and was not dispatched for a week , cancelled the order . Ordered an Samsung s5 and its amzer hybrid cover . S5 was lying at bhiwandi warehouse en route to Mumbai for a few days , me constantly complaining did not help . Amzer cover was misrouted for a few days and finally arrived after the phone . S5 was sold by ws retail and amzer by amzer India . Bought a samsung s4 on the same day as s5 from snapdeal , it arrived in three days flat . All my amazon experience has been great . They always deliver before time . I can safely say this will be the last time I buy on Flipkart . Amazon for me is good now . Even though I had a great experience with snapdeal , I will not pass a judgement on them with just one order .

May not be related and I know how many people don't like the App only approach of flipkart and even amazon.in where certain deals are app only, here amazon US has also started their app only BS for blackfriday.
There is a $150 50" LED TV deal which is app only on amazon. Some others as well.

Next thing they could do is shut down the ping messaging shit. They are losing orders because people cannot share the product link via instant messaging apps anymore.

May not be related and I know how many people don't like the App only approach of flipkart and even amazon.in where certain deals are app only, here amazon US has also started their app only BS for blackfriday.
There is a $150 50" LED TV deal which is app only on amazon. Some others as well.

It may still make some sense for Amazon US, just thinking out loud. They are really pushing on getting their app installed on all Androids off late with Amazon underground(real free apps). What surprised me was App only Prime Now.

Well don't blame Flipkart....it's in their name to FLIP, ain't it ;). So it's not like that they didn't tell us before.
1.png

It seems unintelligent to force your customers to go to the play store, download your 11MB app, then search and buy a product, when they can simply search and buy it by opening up your website.

Unique features like chatting and sharing your purchase might be good, but forcing your customers isn't.

Back