For how long you are using internet?

I still have a 630MB HDD. Yes it is 630MB and it works fine even today. I use it to backup my dad's tally data.
I can even install Windows 98 on that :p

My dad brought home a second hand computer back in '96 but my first taste of the internet was in 1998 at an internet cafe.

Got internet connectivity at home in 1999 - and have used MTNL, VSNL, Now, Mantra Online, BPLnet, Satyam and maybe a couple more.

Then in 2005 I upgraded to Airtel Broadband at home.

Like most of you guys, even I started using the dial-up net around 96-97.

Started off with VSNL, which I remember used to charge around 3000 bucks for 100hrs @ 56kbps with 1yrs validity. Since I also used to get charged for keeping the phone line busy had to end up paying 3-5k in bills to MTNL each month :O . Later moved on to sify who had somewhat cheaper plans.

After than moved to 64kbps(Later switched to 256kbps) sify broadband(LAN based) as soon as it was introduced in our area, it was a huge relief to not pay the insane telephone bills, but was bugged off by sify's auto renewal system and billing errors. Moved on to MTNL Triband (ADSL) and used it for a year or two, but had to wait till 12am for night unlimited which wasn't very convinient for me.

After a while Tata introduced their 2mbps plan with night unlimited from 9-9, which was perfect for me, so been using the same plan for the past 3 years.

Edit : I also wasted some money using a local BBS system before I had a net connection, which was total cr@p.

Since 1998 (VSNL) and DSL cable connection from Dishnet from 2001-2004 (may be among very few users having DSL cable internet during those days) and so on............ Now on SSV cable (1 Mbps unlimited)

From BSNL sad ass dial ups to Tata Indicom 64 kbps unlimited.Then went to Hathway,it sucked bigtime,came back to Tata Indicom which also sucked.Airtel came to my rescue 3-4 yrs ago and ever since I'm in love with Airtel :p

I started when I had upgraded from my first 486 PC to a P1 back in 1993. I was in Saudi Arabia then, was on dialup, then when I shifted to India back in 1999, I was on Satyam dialup for a few years and managed to get my BSNL phone bills running to 9thousand rupees. Then shifted to BSNL broadband back in 2003, used a few other connections while moving around India. At the moment, running on a local cable wala 512K Unlimited for Rs850.

First internet usage was in August 2009 in a cafe with 3 friends back in the day when it costed Rs. 30 per hour. We split the cost 3 ways (A). Since then it was cyber cafes for the next few years using dialup to email my brother who had moved to college elsewhere.

March 2002 I got my first PC and I got dialup internet a month later when MTNL came up with a standard number to dial with charges of 10 paise (Rs 0.10) per hour with additional phone call charges (Rs. 1 per minute). Yes, my phone bills soared. I still remember the days of downloading files at 2-3 kbps.
I still have my D-link modem somewhere in my computer spare parts collection. Since I started taking up old crap computers to salvage out test servers, I've come up with shit loads of 56k modems :p

In October 2004, I got my first cable connection. Fixed rates and 24x7 internet :D This is when I started really learning about the web and how things work. Prior to this, I was good at general desktop stuffs.. only so much I can do on dialup.. my conscience allowed me only to raise the bills so far.. with cable, those issues were gone!

Service went down though.. Got frustrated with the lack of ISP options and my ISP still costing me Rs. 400 a month of a 40kbps connection with 2-3 days downtime a month and me getting 1-2kbps download speeds with 0.5-1kbps upload speeds. Infinite time outs are an obvious side effect. The 400/month price was the same since I got the connection in 2004 until 2009 (and is still the same.. only now with a 64kbps connection which actually works like a 40kbps connection). This ISP is still in our area.. still exorbitant costs.. worst thing is that they charge the same cost for 256k or 512k connections elsewhere :| Simply because I despise them from the bottom of my heart :))) not only because of bad service (4 days to fix a broken cable when I live 50 feet from their office is unacceptable) but also exorbitant costs and the worst performance ever (my dialup gave me better speeds), I'd like to say that this horrible ISP that I'm dissing is Worldnet. F**k you! (Sorry for the language, I do hate them)

In Feb 2009 I finally moved to MTNL Triband 849 NU. I still think its expensive (compared to my friends abroad) but I've found this is the best I can do.. so no point in b**ching about it especially when I get 4.5-5.5GB a night (my only issue is sometimes connection stays on and downloads all stop until router is restarted.. happens everyday between 5 and 5.15 AM and I hate it)

Since 1998. Dialup VSNL, SIFY, Calltiger, SIFY then broadband Sify, Hathway
Still have the D-Link 56kbps modem. VSNL had a shell script to make it work on Linux, nebody remembers that??
Felt a rush downloading 5mb "files" off irc :eek:hyeah:

Yeah 7-8 years its been since I got a comp in my home and got a dial up connection and discovered the wonderful universe of Internet. It taught me many things...(*sigh* desibaba..those were the days).

Back