Front loading or top loading washing machine?

Guys I'm looking for a 7kg-8kg washing machine.
I have heard front loading washing machines offer superior cleaning. For those of you with experience with both, is this true.
Also, heater + drier also required.
Brand preferences: none. ( though those with good service are preferred).
I have read some bad reviews about ifb after warranty expiration. So...well I'm a bit averse towards IFB.

Edit: Budget: 35k
I have a samsung top load, an samsung front load and a ifb front load which I bought used.

definitely recommend front load, it cleans way better and also uses way less water as well.

brands i would recommend: IFB, LG, Samsung.
dont recommend Bosch as my friend who runs a repair shop says they break too often.

Leave the Bosch out as the tubs are sealed

What machine do you currently use?

Is IFB an option where you live, is this model available for delivery to your address
What do you mean by tubs are sealed? Sorry did not understand.

I use my hands as of right now but my partner has so many clothes that my hands will become bones. Lol

Ifb show deliverable. However i have not heard of this brand.

What do you mean by tubs are sealed? Sorry did not understand.

I use my hands as of right now but my partner has so many clothes that my hands will become bones. Lol

there's a tub araund the drum which can be opened by removing bolts/screws. which gives access to drum spider and bearings.
but some brands have started to seal them with heat. so repairs are harder/ expensive

Are any shops nearby? it is better if you can take a look at these machines in real life as it seems you are new to front loaders. You may also get better deals or other models that are not available online. If you do see any you like, take down the model number and post it here,

the Samsung you selected is an option but I prefer LG as I think they are better built, run quieter and have better wash action. With LG's keep in mind the depth and ensure it's 55cm and NOT 45cm which comes with a much smaller drum and a cheaper price but the smaller drum is a bad idea. It's better to do fewer full load washes than more smaller load washes.

This is LG's base model, just the bare minimum but enough. A step up with AI features model costs a little more

IFB is an Indian brand, that model has buttons and not a touch screen like the new models these days. It's a 2019 model. The only downside with IFB is it does not have load sensing so you have to select a modifier to shorten the duration of the wash if is a light load. The Samsung & LG do have load sensing and are a little more convenient that way.

Are any shops nearby? it is better if you can take a look at these machines in real life as it seems you are new to front loaders. You may also get better deals or other models that are not available online. If you do see any you like, take down the model number and post it here,

the Samsung you selected is an option but I prefer LG as I think they are better built, run quieter and have better wash action. With LG's keep in mind the depth and ensure it's 55cm and NOT 45cm which comes with a much smaller drum and a cheaper price but the smaller drum is a bad idea. It's better to do fewer full load washes than more smaller load washes.

This is LG's base model, just the bare minimum but enough. A step up with AI features model costs a little more

IFB is an Indian brand, that model has buttons and not a touch screen like the new models these days. It's a 2019 model. The only downside with IFB is it does not have load sensing so you have to select a modifier to shorten the duration of the wash if is a light load. The Samsung & LG do have load sensing and are a little more convenient that way.
Understood. Will go and check nearest croma. Also, is the depth specified somewhere or i have to measure it on my own.

Also is there any checks that i need to do before buying?

Last edited:
Understood. Will go and check nearest croma. Also, is the depth specified somewhere or i have to measure it on my own.
Just check the specs of the machine, the depth should be mentioned. Won't hurt to take a measuring tape with you.
Also is there any checks that i need to do before buying?
Whether it fits where you want to locate it. Availability of 16A power outlet. Adequate water pressure. Water tank at least two storeys above where the machine will be. If not you will need a booster pump.

Whether service is available in your location for the brand you choose. Where are you based btw?

Just check the specs of the machine, the depth should be mentioned. Won't hurt to take a measuring tape with you.

Whether it fits where you want to locate it. Availability of 16A power outlet. Adequate water pressure. Water tank at least two storeys above where the machine will be. If not you will need a booster pump.

Whether service is available in your location for the brand you choose. Where are you based btw?
I am based in Bangalore. The water tank is one storey up ie there is penthouse above me and then water tank.
And I think the owner has put up 16A outlet in the bathroom.

Last edited:
A machine with a clear glass door is preferable to tinted glass.

@blr_p Am looking on finalising this model. There is an offer with SC card and I think it will work out to 34k approx.

An LG model one of the members picked earlier. Too bad it does not come in white. Full loads appear to complete faster apparently in this model than with the more basic models I recommended thanks to this AI business.

With older machines, it's around 2h30-3hours. It seems halved with the above machine.

I have a samsung top load, an samsung front load and a ifb front load which I bought used.
Which model IFB is it and does it have a sealed tub? Can you post a photo of the underneath as shown here

Or you could pop the top off and take a photo that way
Prime day is also starting on 15th July. Hopefully I'll get some good offers on washing machine.
What kind of washing machines have you used before?

I'm wary of offers unless it offers a discount on a machine YOU have selected rather than selected by THEM for you. If you know what I mean.

What kind of washing machines have you used before?

I'm wary of offers unless it offers a discount on a machine YOU have selected rather than selected by THEM for you. If you know what I mean.
Not used washing machine. This would be my first one. I'm looking for lg the one you marked on your previous comment.

Update:-
So I went to croma and saw FHV1408Z2M.ABMQEIL model. Looked good. Drum size looked 55cm did not measure. They quoted approx 39k including extended warranty of 2years for 4k.
Also they suggested one haier model hw80-dm14959cs6u1 quoting how durable it is as the door hinge was made of metal and they said it's latest release etc etc. Were giving good discount. Quoted around 33k. Plus they also said belt drive is good than direct drive. They confused me and i came back to post this here.

Last edited:
Not used washing machine. This would be my first one.
Better to get it from a store then. If there's a problem you will have somewhere to go and someone to talk to. I've not needed any in seven years but for first machine store is better than online.
I'm looking for lg the one you marked on your previous comment.

Update:-
So I went to croma and saw FHV1408Z2M.ABMQEIL model. Looked good. Drum size looked 55cm did not measure.
If you're fine with the colour then that should be your first choice. Do they have it in white? white is usually a little cheaper than other colours.

It's got the AI thing so more future proof and a little better than the base model.

See attached for depth. This is the 55-litre model which has an adequate drum size. Since LG uses direct drive the motor is attached directly to the drum instead of the belt-driven models. That is why depth matters with the LG.

The 44 cm model has a smaller drum which I recommend people avoid. These are the ones that get discounted and people fall for them.
They quoted approx 39k including extended warranty of 2years for 4k.
No need for an extended warranty with LG.
Also they suggested one haier model hw80-dm14959cs6u1 quoting how durable it is as the door hinge was made of metal and they said it's latest release etc etc. Were giving good discount. Quoted around 33k. Plus they also said belt drive is good than direct drive. They confused me and i came back to post this here.
Direct drive is quieter, has a stronger torque than belt driven and as a result better wash action. Forget the Haier.

They all have metal hinges. What surprised me when I was looking back in 2016 is the Bosch has a plastic door catch instead of metal and that just put me off. Meaning the part of the door that locks to the machine was made of plastic.

Attachments

• FHV1408Z2M.jpg
    FHV1408Z2M.jpg
    332.4 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
If you're fine with the colour then that should be your first choice. Do they have it in white? white is usually a little cheaper than other colours.

It's got the AI thing so more future proof and a little better than the base model.

Direct drive is quieter, has a stronger torque than belt driven and as a result better wash action. Forget the Haier.

They all have metal hinges. What surprised me when I was looking back in 2016 is the Bosch has a plastic door catch instead of metal and that just put me off.
Even I want white one. I did not ask.

Ok Haier forgotten.

Even LG one has plastic catch if I am correct. Did not see it properly.

Also do you think the price is good? Or should I ask to remove the extended warranty?

Also also, croma or lg best shop?

Last edited:
Updated my previous post. The door catch is metal on mine.

Can't tell in the amazon image

Attachments

• Door catch.jpg
    Door catch.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 50
  • FHV1408Z2M-catch.jpg
    FHV1408Z2M-catch.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 43
Back