Front loading or top loading washing machine?

Prime day is also starting on 15th July. Hopefully I'll get some good offers on washing machine.
During Prime sales, prices go up by ₹100+ over normal price. The discounts are all fake.

@blr_p this model has your favourite 6 motion dd and the metal catch.

LG 8 Kg 5 Star Inverter Direct Drive Touch Panel Fully Automatic Front Load Washing Machine (FHM1408BDM, Steam for Hygiene, In-Built Heater, 6 Motion DD, Middle Black) https://amzn.eu/d/9Oo0NK2

Last edited:
@blr_p this model has your favourite 6 motion dd and the metal catch.

LG 8 Kg 5 Star Inverter Direct Drive Touch Panel Fully Automatic Front Load Washing Machine (FHM1408BDM, Steam for Hygiene, In-Built Heater, 6 Motion DD, Middle Black) https://amzn.eu/d/9Oo0NK2

White is cheaper but it is quite basic. Has fewer features than mine from 2016

The metal catch is from my machine. Someone will have to confirm whether its the case wth the models recommended. I expect it is still the case.

I'm looking to buy a new front load, currently have an IFB front load that runs like it's about to take off.

@blr_p Are IFBs reliable? Both our iFB washing machine and oven touch panel board died within 5 years, couldn't save the oven but somehow they retrofitted the washing machine panel with some other model's non touch based control. Are their new models any better? I saw great reviews for Bosch but after reading here that their drums are sealed i dropped that brand.

Currently considering LG model you suggested above but after experiencing their after sales service for TV even within warranty I'm slightly worried if I should be buying from them considering washing machines are owned for a long time. Kindly advice which brand and model to go for and their after warranty maintenance costs if possible.

Even i'm looking for washing machine front load.....had bad time with IFB tp load fully auto 8kg.
What was the problem with the IFB top load?
Are they any better now since 2018
Depends on how you define better. They come with touch panels these days instead of buttons which would be more durable. The Rinse hold feature that i like has gone missing in models since mine came out. It's on that IFB model though.

New models have a steam function which does not serve any purpose other than marketing for covid.
I'm looking to buy a new front load, currently have an IFB front load that runs like it's about to take off.
Just needs a bearings change. Which model is your present IFB. Try to fix it.
@blr_p Are IFBs reliable?
If taken care of. Mechanically speaking, any machine will last longer.
Both our iFB washing machine and oven touch panel board died within 5 years, couldn't save the oven but somehow they retrofitted the washing machine panel with some other model's non touch based control. Are their new models any better? I saw great reviews for Bosch but after reading here that their drums are sealed i dropped that brand.
Ah, electrical is a different thing. All brands now come with touch panels, unfortunately. That IFB I linked above has buttons but its the last of its kind
Currently considering LG model you suggested above but after experiencing their after sales service for TV even within warranty I'm slightly worried if I should be buying from them considering washing machines are owned for a long time. Kindly advice which brand and model to go for and their after warranty maintenance costs if possible.
If the IFB touch panel conked out in five years, chances are the LG will as well. It's the same tech. A couple of users already complained here earlier in the thread of their LG developing phantom touches four years in. They were recommending not to go with LG. Well, then which other?

Maybe buy some spares to keep for the eventuality. That is all that can be said. Expect a failure and plan for it.

Last edited:
Went to lg best store and they showed me this model https://www.lg.com/in/washing-machines/lg-fhp1208z5m

Looked good to me. Any thoughts? @blr_p
Plus they said they can do approx 34k for this.
This is the 46cm model I told you to avoid. They always push these because the higher chance of sale as its cheaper

You can get this one in white but unfortunately its 46cm also

Tinted door which I don't like or recommend. You should always be aware of the state of the wash which you get with a quick glance and a clear window

The outer tinted pane can be removed but I doubt anyone here is going to like that idea

Attachments

• LG forty six cm.jpg
    LG forty six cm.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
What was the problem with the IFB top load?
Only a month out and it conked of.....water kept on filling never stopped...was replaced.
Ran good for 2 yrs then in first lockdown relay conked off....that hd to use bucket to fill it....then third year shockers gone.....bought aftermarket ones...sanded them to fit and now again they are gone and wash is also not that good.....and rust is everywhere.
The Rinse hold feature that i like has gone missing in models since mine came out. It's on that IFB model though.
Mine has it
Depends on how you define better. They come with touch panels these days instead of buttons which would be more durable.
In terms of quality....the one i have has the touch buttons.

Only a month out and it conked of.....water kept on filling never stopped...was replaced.
Ran good for 2 yrs then in first lockdown relay conked off....that hd to use bucket to fill it....then third year shockers gone.....bought aftermarket ones...sanded them to fit and now again they are gone and wash is also not that good.....and rust is everywhere.
Which IFB top load model was it? Can you post any images?
Mine has it
Your top load had rinse hold? thought it was a front load feature. Used to be anyway.

In terms of quality....the one i have has the touch buttons.
Any problems with them

Ah, electrical is a different thing. All brands now come with touch panels, unfortunately. That IFB I linked above has buttons but its the last of its kind

If the IFB touch panel conked out in five years, chances are the LG will as well. It's the same tech. A couple of users already complained here earlier in the thread of their LG developing phantom touches four years in. They were recommending not to go with LG. Well, then which other?

Maybe buy some spares to keep for the eventuality. That is all that can be said. Expect a failure and plan for it.
Is Siemens worth considering in India?
They're rated good in other countries but read an Amazon review in India that the spares are very costly. Also are the drums in Siemens sealed?
For now I'm considering IFB/LG models, will update when I'm going to buy.

Quite a discount. Was that from Croma?

Next is to get the right detergent. Read this

Surf Excel Matic powder for front loader

When they install it ensure it is properly levelled
In Bangalore I heard from colleague that devi international is quite famous. So there i went. They directly Said don't buy smaller drum.
So I booked this one as this was quoted cheap than the other retailers.

Sure will look into the detergent.

Has anyone used Midea washing machine.....i was looking at some and found This....this is washer dryer currently going for very cheap at 36k....but only thing is they have only 2yrs of comprehensive warranty...i have 5yrs old carrier midea inverter AC and that is very good and also have midea Geyser.....but don't know about there washing machine....but as per reviews it is very good.

Has anyone used Midea washing machine.....i was looking at some and found This....this is washer dryer currently going for very cheap at 36k....but only thing is they have only 2yrs of comprehensive warranty...i have 5yrs old carrier midea inverter AC and that is very good and also have midea Geyser.....but don't know about there washing machine....but as per reviews it is very good.
The link does not work. Sammy does washer dryers at the same price too. They are more complicated than plain washers. The drying takes a long time as well. It's better to get a dedicated dryer if you need that.

The thing with Chinese is whether parts will be available later. Established brands like Samsung & LG would have them.

Sealed drum is an open question here.

Back