Front loading or top loading washing machine?

Where did you see that?

Still says two years for washers on their site. Click on the home appliances header and says 24 months

Otherwise yeah, the motor warranty is more meaningful for fridges than washers as the compressor is the critical part that packs up.
Washing machines had 3 years warranty 1 year ago.

Any comments on this particular one? (Samsung 7 kg, 5 star, Eco Bubble Technology, Digital Inverter Motor, Dual Storm, Fully-Automatic Top Load Washing Machine WA70BG4441YYTL)

Is this a sealed drum?
What are the most common failure points?
... as washer dryers to be avoided as well
Is the same true for Top loaders?

Last edited:
Any comments on this particular one? (Samsung 7 kg, 5 star, Eco Bubble Technology, Digital Inverter Motor, Dual Storm, Fully-Automatic Top Load Washing Machine WA70BG4441YYTL)
https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B0B8NHX62W/
If you are already spending close to 18k on a top loader, then why not go for a front loader? I bought samsung 7kg front loader around 21k. There are plenty of offers available all the time. FL provides much better cleaning than TL.

Is this a sealed drum?
Sealed drum is usually a problem with FL not TL. Samsung FLs aren't sealed.

What are the most common failure points?
Inverter washing machines are mechanically highly reliable thanks to their simplicity. The first thing which might give out would be controller chip or display or buttons.

Is the same true for Top loaders?
Washer dryers are a special type of machines and generally not seen in India. I don't think dryers come in TL config. The regular washing machines you normally see around, will spin clothes to 90% dryness and that's fine for most of us.

Really? Maybe that was Samsung but the standard warranty for appliances and for long now is two years.

Sammy must play with this from time to time to promote sales. See attached

IFB offers four.
It doesn't have an internal heater so your wash quality is dependent on whatever water temperature comes out of the tap. Colder that is the less well your clothes will be cleaned.

Washing at 30-40 degrees is better for cleaning in general as well as stain removal

There is a difference in drum size between 7kg and 8kg models. if you can see models in a shop take a measuring tape with you and verify. The bigger the drum the better the wash action will be provided you do not overload it. Forget 7kg, look at 8kg

If you don't have a solar water heater consider top load models with an internal heater or consider a front load which has it already

What machine are you using presently?
What are the most common failure points? Is the same true for Top loaders?
Failures happen more often when the machine isn't cared for or used in the wrong way or put more plainly. abused.

This happens because people do not understand how to use a machine. Buying a smaller machine to save money and then overloading it. Better to buy a machine with a bigger drum.

Keeping electronics aside and looking at mechanical I would say the shocks.

The shocks will give way if the machine does one too many out of balance spins. They could also give way because the machine is continually overloaded.

With washing machines, the mixie rule is to be followed. No more than 70% dry clothes loading, preferably 60%

The clothes should be balled up when loading so they don't congeal into some mass that does not move and consequently don't get cleaned very well either.

That mass then puts stress on the shocks during the spin cycle.
May I know if there's a reasonable difference between the two 8kg LG machines available at these two links other than cost (32.5k vs 38k)?

As far as I can see it's just that the more expensive model has AI driving the drum, and a few more wash programs which no one would select anyway. I saw some people in this thread bought the AI model, so if you could let me know why you opted for the AI one I would be grateful!
From what I can tell, shorter wash time on a full load.

The first one would take at least two and a half hours to do a full load as mine from 2016.

@benryu has not visited the board since May so let's wait until @r4hul has more experience of full loads and can give us a review

Attachments

• 3yr warranty.jpg
    3yr warranty.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Was chatting with someone and the topic of how to avoid shrinking in clothes came up.

It happens when there is a difference in temperature between the wash cycle and the rinse cycle.

If you use a hot wash and then rinse at a colder temperature that is when shrink happens especially with woollens or any stretchy fabric.

So those need to be washed at warm and hopefully, if your tap temperature isn't more than ten degrees lower all should be good otherwise better to handwash these items if the tap temperature is too low. You can wash warm and rinse warm and all will be clean and no shrink.

So it isn't necessarily the wash temperature but whether it gets a cold shock at the rinse stage that causes the shrink.

The rinse cycle is by default at tap temperature. They removed hot/warm rinses decades ago with the first energy crisis. Warm rinses were more important when washing with soap than with the synthetic detergents we use today. Warm or hotter water rinsed soap out of clothes better than colder water. I have to think similar applies with detergents as well but the mantra these days is cold rinses are as good as hotter ones. Cold water will get the surfactants of the detergent out of the clothes just as well as hot water. And it's a moot point because no washer offers warm rinses anyway. LG's medic rinse has a warm rinse but it's the last one, the first two are tap temperature.

I've noticed my washer does a cool down at the end of the cycle. So if I chose say 60, it will add more water at the end to cool the wash down. I never understood the point until the shrink thing came up. If hot is brought down to warm then the gap between the wash temperature and tap water rinse will be smaller and should not cause any problems with shrinkage unless the tap temperature is 15C or below

It's a contentious topic, people with allergies are going to insist on more rinses and warmer ones if at all possible.

Last edited:
I recently went to croma to check FL washing machine and checked out few both washer dryer and standalone washer.....IFB seems to offer 4 yrs of comprehensive and 10yrs on motor and 10yrs warranty for spare availability....all others offer 2yrs comprehensive and 10yrs or 20yrs motor warranty... IFB W/D 8.5/6.5/2.5kg drum was 1 inch smaller than IFB 8KG washer.....also checked the croma branded washer dryer 8/6kg its drum was 1 inch smaller than IFB 8.5kg W/D and warranty was 2/10 yrs......price wise IFb WD at 67k(for specific coffee color, silver color is 2-3k less) was the costliest and croma WD was the cheapest at 42k and ifb 8kg washer was same at 42k.....online price for ifb are cheaper 8-9k cheaper for washer dryer and around 4-5k cheaper for washer alone on Amazon..... Also saw Haier branded washer/dryer too.....quiet new though and Marketing bigger drum at 525mm......don't know how they are...as per them it is quiet new in this....Now how are croma branded ones....seems quiet good for the price of a washer dryer

If you are indeed going for dryer then you should know there are different types of dryers and not all clothes are supported by all the dryers. @blr_p might know.

I think dehumidifier (don't remember the actual name) type dryer are good for all types of clothes.

I already told him to stay clear of washer dryers but he does not seem to listen.

I too had this infatuation back in the day and it took some real discipline to avoid. Once you understand it's not the panacea you think it is then it gets easier. But the marketing really hooks you.

Your clothes not dry in high humidity? put them out first thing in the morning after an 800rpm spin and in a day's time they will be dry in 70%+ humidity as is the case now. If not wait longer and they will get there. Zero cost, no fuss and no future headaches.

Buy more clothes, its cheaper than a machine.

^Read that @rockyo27

Interesting contrarian comment there

Not as bad as you think​

This is my experience buying dozens of 'faulty' Hoover, Candy, Indesit and Hotpoint washer dryers over the past 8 years. It used to be you could win faulty machines from eBay for 99p and most for less than a tenner, however, even machines with terminal faults such as drum bearings now go for much more so I very rarely bother these days.

First off I will agree that a washer dryer is a compromise over having separates, and if you have the space then I'd recommend dedicated machines, especially if you do a lot of washing. However, for single people or a couple, or those with absolutely room for only one appliance (or the 2nd space taken up by a dishwasher perhaps), a washer dryer is likely to be just fine.

First off, the design compromises: a washer dryer is a standard washing machine, but with dryer and condenser gubbins bolted on, and the associated extra (or different) programmes. This means the machine is just as good at washing as a wash-only machine, though sometimes some of the special programmes available on the standalone machine are missing and have been replaced by drying programmes instead (there are only so many selector positions available).

Secondly, as mentioned in the article, the drum is simply too small to allow good airflow to dry a full load of clothes. Tumble dryers have much bigger drums because they don't need a watertight outer tub. This means that unless you only half-fill the drum with washing, you will need to remove some before drying.

Thirdly - and obviously - the machine can only be washing or drying at any one time, so if you need to wash more then you'll need to wait.

Finally, the dry cycle takes longer as it's also drying the machine innards

Now for the supposed unreliability: as has already been said, it's a standard washer with dryer gubbins, so the baseline reliability will be the same as the washer it's based on. In my experience the extra water valve, fan and control module don't go wrong (they can, but I've never needed to replace them). The heating element can break but this is no more likely, expensive or difficult than the main wash heater to replace. I've replaced maybe three at most.

By far the most common problem, and one that all washer dryers will succumb to eventually, is build up of lint which restricts the airflow and causes the thermal cut-out to trip on the heater box. In theory the lint is washed down into the outlet pump by the water flowing through the condenser tube/box, but a small amount always gets through and this accumulates over time with usage of the dryer function.

It's a smelly and unpleasant job clearing this wet and mouldy lint out of the condenser and fan but that's usually all that is needed (along with resetting the thermal cut-out) to restore full operation of the dryer again. No parts, just labour.

The older Candy/Hoover machines were terrible for clogging up, but at least it could be seen through the translucent plastic condenser tube on the back of the wash tub. The newer Candy/Hoover machines, plus all the Indesit/Hotpoint ones I've seen, have all needed the combined heater box/fan assembly to be removed from the top of the tub to see and remove the clogging, but this layout seems less prone - though not immune.

Finally three advantages of washer dryers: they can automatically dry straight after the wash cycle (keep in mind load size), and they're all condenser models so don't need to be vented. Better than most condenser tumble dryers, you don't even need to emtpy the collected water! Also they tend to be cheaper than separates.

I think dehumidifier (don't remember the actual name) type dryer are good for all types of clothes.
Curious you should say this because some moons ago I mentioned dehumidifier for this purpose your bright idea was to use an AC as they are all by default dehumidifiers :)

Last edited:
I already told him to stay clear of washer dryers but he does not seem to listen.

I too had this infatuation back in the day and it took some real discipline to avoid. Once you understand it's not the panacea you think it is then it gets easier. But the marketing really hooks you.

Your clothes not dry in high humidity? put them out first thing in the morning after an 800rpm spin and in a day's time they will be dry in 70%+ humidity as is the case now. If not get a clothes horse and stick them on it and they will get there. Zero cost, no fuss and no future headaches.

^Read that @rockyo27

Interesting contrarian comment there
When wife keeps on poking you for that, you can't say no.

When wife keeps on poking you for that, you can't say no.
Tell her to read that article

Who exactly has told her to go for it? Has she seen the thing in operation at some friend's place and has first-hand experience?

Every three years you will have to dismantle the machine for maintenance as I've pointed out or it will die. This is going to be your responsibility

Has to be stripped and cleaned. How much is the labour cost for that? 5k or more.

If you're getting into this you go with your eyes open and expectations set at the right level. There should not be buyers remorse after.

Tell her to read that article

Who exactly has told her to go for it? Has she seen the thing in operation at some friend's place and has first-hand experience?

Every three years you will have to dismantle the machine for maintenance as I've pointed out or it will die. This is going to be your responsibility

Has to be stripped and cleaned. How much is the labour cost for that? 5k or more.

If you're getting into this you go with your eyes open and expectations set at the right level. There should not be buyers remorse after.
I will be moving her mind away from this by any means and make her settle for washer only....i already read on washer/dryer beforehand and told her....eventually will convince her

Here is a woman who insists on having one. Is your situation the same as hers

Her figures seem really high. I wonder if she used one of those stupid smart plugs to measure.

I average around 15+ units a month with 40-60 degree washes.

She says with heating the dryer its 10 units per wash and 7 units without heating meaning cold wash + dry :oops:

How the hell is a heated wash adding three units to the consumption !!!

She answered quickly. She used published figures to estimate power consumption. Published where? Clearly she did not directly measure anything :bored:

Well, here is the manual for her machine. And the max Sammy quotes is 2.4 units for both washing and drying under the specs on the last page. These would be max figures.

Decided to go hunting for reviews and found a good review for a higher-end Samsung washer Dryer. This one is wifi enabled and can make use of the smart things app which monitors energy consumption.

I will be moving her mind away from this by any means and make her settle for washer only....i already read on washer/dryer beforehand and told her....eventually will convince her
Why does she want one?

Attachments

• Smart things energy monitor.jpg
    Smart things energy monitor.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
If you are already spending close to 18k on a top loader, then why not go for a front loader? I bought samsung 7kg front loader around 21k. There are plenty of offers available all the time. FL provides much better cleaning than TL.
Space seems to be one of the main issues. FLs are larger in size. Also I am used to using TL.
Do the FL models spin the clothes to remove water to a similar levels as a TL one does?
Any particular TL model you would recommend?

Really? Maybe that was Samsung but the standard warranty for appliances and for long now is two years.
This 2022 one states 3 years as per the sticker.
Screenshot 2023-07-24 2352awd54.png

So I got the same model but manufactured in Nov 2022.
Replacement is not an option (only return and refund because the first one they attempted delivery was dented and replacement can be done only one)
The stated warranty on the product shows 3 years comprehensive + 10 years Motor.
Return will net me a loss of about 3K of discounts.
Please advice?

Is there any downside of receiving an older stock (~9months).

I am yet to confirm the warranty from Samsung but the article states that any product sold around and after December 2022 will have 20 years comprehensive motor warranty.

Last edited:
Here is a woman who insists on having one. Is your situation the same as hers

Her figures seem really high. I wonder if she used one of those stupid smart plugs to measure.

I average around 15+ units a month with 40-60 degree washes.

She says with heating the dryer its 10 units per wash and 7 units without heating meaning cold wash + dry :oops:

How the hell is a heated wash adding three units to the consumption !!!

She answered quickly. She used the figures in the manual to estimate power consumption. She did not directly measure anything :bored:

Why does she want one?
She is not that much insisting for washer dryer.....we will be getting washer for sure cause i convinced her by making her understand

Your clothes not dry in high humidity? put them out first thing in the morning after an 800rpm spin and in a day's time they will be dry in 70%+ humidity as is the case now. If not wait longer and they will get there. Zero cost, no fuss and no future headaches.

Buy more clothes, its cheaper than a machine.
I agree. The humidity in my house is ~78% - 81% from a week. Clothes dry in a day. I use folding floor stands for drying clothes. Keep it in a room where the fan is constantly on, like bedroom or hall and the clothes will dry out properly. Hang tshirt and shirts on hangars. They will move with the breeze and dry out.

The new machines with 700rpm or 1000 rpm spin speeds do a fine job of removing most of the water and the clothes are just damp. The heavier clothes are a bit wet but we can remove the lighter almost dry clothes out of the machine and keep the wet heavier clothes inside the machine and run another spin round to get the remaining water to come out. Put them under a fan or use a table fan and to blow air on clothes if the clothes are hung from the ceiling. 8-12 hours and most of them will dry out without any humid smell. Being doing this for years.

View attachment 173458

Replacement is not an option (only return and refund because the first one they attempted delivery was dented and replacement can be done only one)
The stated warranty on the product shows 3 years comprehensive + 10 years Motor.
Please advice?

I am yet to confirm the warranty from Samsung but the article states that any product sold around and after December 2022 will have 20 years comprehensive motor warranty.
Sorry to bump again but I am on a tight timeline here and looking for advice. Please check this.

I can't think of any problems when their expected life is around a decade in hot and soapy water. Sitting in a warehouse for 9 months should be no problem.
Moreover you get a longer warranty because of it being an older model when warranties were longer.

Space seems to be one of the main issues. FLs are larger in size. Also I am used to using TL.
Do the FL models spin the clothes to remove water to a similar levels as a TL one does?
TL models max out at around 700 rpm. FL models can go up to twice that but water extraction decreases past a point.
Any particular TL model you would recommend?
Well, yeah but you did not give us much time to suggest anything before pulling the trigger
Please advice?
It's a very basic model, I'd have recommended the Panasonic at 10k+ instead. Since you want to stick to top loaders. Check earlier in the thread
No

Last edited:
Sorry to bump again but I am on a tight timeline here and looking for advice. Please check this.
Hey sorry for late reply. I'm here on weekends only. I don't think there's any problem with 9 month older stock. Most of the applianced we buy TV, washing machines etc are half year old. It's normal.
If it says, 3 year on the machine then you'll get 3 years from the date of purchase. 2 year warranty machines are slightly altered (like stickers) so they are different SKUs internally.

Hey sorry for late reply. I'm here on weekends only. I don't think there's any problem with 9 month older stock. Most of the applianced we buy TV, washing machines etc are half year old. It's normal.

If it says, 3 year on the machine then you'll get 3 years from the date of purchase. 2 year warranty machines are slightly altered (like stickers) so they are different SKUs internally.
I was informed by the installation personnel that that is one has a 2 years comprehensive + 20 yrs warranty. Thanks

Back