Front loading or top loading washing machine?

The link does not work. Sammy does washer dryers at the same price too. They are more complicated than plain washers. The drying takes a long time as well. It's better to get a dedicated dryer if you need that.

The thing with Chinese is whether parts will be available later. Established brands like Samsung & LG would have them.

Sealed drum is an open question here.
Deal of the day: Midea 8KG/5KG 5 Star Inverter Fully Automatic Washer Dryer (MF100D80B/T-IN, Titanium Silver, Inbuilt Heater) https://amzn.eu/d/iYzsXpZ

I already have midea AC...exactly carrier midea AC.....also a geyser.....only thing is it has only 2 yrs comprehensive warranty....and that AC i bought 5 yrs back and is literally very good and cools very quickly.....so midea is a very good company only that haven't used their washing machines and warranty is also less than others.

Deal of the day: Midea 8KG/5KG 5 Star Inverter Fully Automatic Washer Dryer (MF100D80B/T-IN, Titanium Silver, Inbuilt Heater) https://amzn.eu/d/iYzsXpZ
tinted glass to be avoided as well as washer dryers

look at washers instead with a clear glass window
I already have midea AC...exactly carrier midea AC.....also a geyser.....only thing is it has only 2 yrs comprehensive warranty....and that AC i bought 5 yrs back and is literally very good and cools very quickly.....so midea is a very good company only that haven't used their washing machines and warranty is also less than others.
What is the service like? you don't know yet

Last edited:
What is the service like?
Service is good...the day i bought it i raised a complaint of it not being working at its lower watts as an inverter ac should do to maintain temps in room....and they were prompt, engineer came the very next day to check....and he explained it how it works

Got the machine fixed up somewhat. Need 5m inlent pipe now. 16a power extension. Water hardness filter.
Any suggestions for the filter?
Also, he threw a lot of mumbo jumbo. Like every 5 months chemical wash is necessary. Made us buy the tub clean powder. Also was offering extended warranty with chemical wash.
Also I am confused at tub depth. My measure is 46 cm(I know i can't do anything cos I bought it) but even the seller was like this is a big drum than others.

Attachments

• IMG20230705191656.jpg
    IMG20230705191656.jpg
    277.3 KB · Views: 74
Water hardness filter. Any suggestions for the filter?
What's that? you cannot 'filter' hard water. You have to treat it.

Do you have hard water, to begin with
Also, he threw a lot of mumbo jumbo. Like every 5 months chemical wash is necessary.
I'd recommend it at a shorter interval of three months. See here
Made us buy the tub clean powder.
Can you post a photo of it
Also I am confused at tub depth. My measure is 46 cm(I know i can't do anything cos I bought it) but even the seller was like this is a big drum than others.
External dimension depth is what I'm referring to. For the model you mentioned, it should be 55cm, measure again

They offered me one like that too. It's a gimmick
Could you test it for us? you would need a pH indicator as described here
Yeah for my model it's 55cm. I was measuring the drum.
As expected
Also, he threw a lot of mumbo jumbo. Like every 5 months chemical wash is necessary. Made us buy the tub clean powder.
You don't need the extended warranty

But those chemical washes will decide whether your front loader lasts 6-8 years without having a catastrophic mechanical drum spider failure or 10-14 years.

If you maintain the machine properly, do not overload it, and do not cheap out on detergent you can literally double its working life

Get into the habit TODAY of doing a boil wash every month, Cottons 95 with nothing in the machine.

You likely won't understand why a washing machine needs a self-clean on a regular basis but it does. And the thread I linked explains the whys and hows

You don't want to wash clothes in a dirty machine. And since you like pets there is going to be all that brings to deal with as well.

Try to keep the wash temperature to a minimum of 40 degrees for the best stain removal. Even delicates in a bag can be washed at that temperature which in reality is mid-thirties at most. Pick a less vigorous cycle than Cottons. Synthetics or mix will do. Does not have to be the Delicates program as that goes no higher than 30 I think which my tests show the temperature is really mid-twenties which isn't great for cleaning.

Last edited:
Yeah thought so. But for the water hardness I do not see the water in my house being hard. Easy lather etc. @blr_p do you still suggest water hardness test?
Also the machine has a smell do i need to do anything before first wash?

Yeah thought so. But for the water hardness I do not see the water in my house being hard. Easy lather etc. @blr_p do you still suggest water hardness test?
If you get Cauvery water then your water should not be hard right now. If you see hard water deposits in cooking utensils then you would need to test
Also the machine has a smell do i need to do anything before first wash?
Run a tub clean cycle with nothing. It's recommended to run an empty cycle anyway as they usually do a test in the factory.

what kind of smell is it

If you get Cauvery water then your water should not be hard right now. If you see hard water deposits in cooking utensils then you would need to test
My owner said that we get cauvery water.

Run a tub clean cycle with nothing. It's recommended to run an empty cycle anyway as they usually do a test in the factory.

what kind of smell is it
Something chemical like. Not too hard.
I got excited and started the first load. Lol.
14 clothes . AI told it will take 1hour 14 min. Temp 40, spin 800.
No weird sound while spinning.

My owner said that we get cauvery water.
I know because I tested my water throughout the year. It gets softer during the monsoons which is now. It gets harder during the dry season which is Feb to May. The hardest i tested was around 175ppm total hardness. Note this is with a hardness kit like this, not some TDS meter. TDS is not a measure of hardness.
Something chemical like. Not too hard.
I got excited and started the first load. Lol.
14 clothes . AI told it will take 1hour 14 min. Temp 40, spin 800.
No weird sound while spinning.
Looks like medium load. Buy more clothes and run full loads instead of more light loads. The idea of getting a larger machine is less washing, wear & tear and so on

Note this is with a hardness kit like this, not some TDS meter.

Looks like medium load. Buy more clothes and run full loads instead of more light loads. The idea of getting a larger machine is less washing, wear & tear and so on
Ok cool. I'll get the kit and test eventually as i want to confirm.

My partner has loads of clothes (women right) but the technician said 7 pairs ie 14 clothes. Can you tell how many clothes will make full load?

I usually keep dirty clothes in a basket and only put them in the machine when there is enough. I've never kept dirty dry clothes in the machine. I think airing them helps reduce the smells which would otherwise remain if kept in a confined space. If there is any liquid spills this is definitely better.

As for loading read this

View attachment 140460

That is what fully loaded in a front loader looks like. Just enough space to put your hand in between the top of the clothes and the top part of the port opening.
That is what full load looks like. The look is easier to gauge than numbers or weight

I find even though my machine says 7kG, the drum is full around the 3-4kg mark as weighed by a luggage weigher

Last edited:
Thanks a lot @blr_p . From the start in deciding the washing machine to its maintenance. Thank you.
Will go through the cleaning washing post you linked.

Nobody posts videos of the entire cycle for machines in India

See how they used that blue powder, hand wash think its called Easy Wash Surf already for the first wash :banghead:

Only front load CERTIFIED detergents should be used in a front loader.

Midea manufacturers most if not all ovens in the world. It's also an OEM manufacturer for dishwashers. Samsung, faber etc many other dishwasher are actually while label Midea products. I have its dishwasher. It's working great. Service was also good and it was provided by the carrier. Only problem I had with my machine that it came without serial number. WMs look like a new product category for them. Still, if there are other options, I'd go with a known brand.

Last edited:
Avoid washer dryers. They are harder to keep clean than regular washers. Also more complicated to fix.

A dryer should always have a larger drum volume than a washer if you want shorter cycles and your clothes to come out as wrinkle-free as possible. Which of course you won't get with a washer dryer.

You can consider stand-alone dryers by Bosch but these too need a disassembly every few years to remove accumulated lint otherwise they will die shortly after five years. That is to say even after cleaning the user-accessible filters there is still lint that clogs up the internals and needs to be removed.

This is the case even with their top end 'self cleaning' dryers that don't quite manage to live up to the claim. LG, Bosch, and Siemens all have this issue.

Last edited:
any comments on the 20 year motor warranty from Samsung?

any comments on the 20 year warranty by samsung?
10+ years of warranty is fairly common on inverter motors. I don't think any brand offers less. This is not a comprehensive warranty and it covers only motor.

In most cases, the machine will break before the motor. They might as well give 50 years of warranty on the motor which won't make any difference.

What the news clearly ignores that Samsung while extending warranty on motor to a hypothetical number of years, reduced comprehensive warranty by 1 year. And that's more important.

What the news clearly ignores that Samsung while extending warranty on motor to a hypothetical number of years, reduced comprehensive warranty by 1 year. And that's more important.
Where did you see that?

Still says two years for washers on their site. Click on the home appliances header and says 24 months

Otherwise yeah, the motor warranty is more meaningful for fridges than washers as the compressor is the critical part that packs up.

Back