Front loading or top loading washing machine?

Budget around or below 40K

Looking at these, my preference is currently LG non-AI model > IFB > Samsung

I very recently picked up the IFB Executive Plus MXC 1014 for around 34.2k after offers directly from IFB website. 2 working days for delivery and same day installation. This did not include exchange of the old machine which was sold locally to a dealer for 2k. Use code Suprise10 to get 10% off and then ICICI card to get the price I mentioned.

Alternatively for LG, best offers are on Amazon and FK with exchange bonus offers and SBI/ICICI card offer. You can also get additional discounts on FK on select models if you have some coins to redeem to get the additional discount.

I was looking at the LG 9kg ThinQ model initially and had also ordered this from Amazon for about 28.4k after exchange and card offers. But changed my mind when I saw the machine in person as it had the smallest drum when compared to IFB and Samsung. I dropped Samsung as it was more expensive than both LG and IFB with 2 year warranty.

IFB rose to the top due to its warranty length (4 years) and drum size (one of the largest in category).

It ticks all the boxes for a good front loader. Only negative is the dark front glass on the door in the model I went with. Alternatively, you can also go for a slightly older model which has a clear glass on the door (if that is a deal breaker for you).

Interesting interface on IFB's Executive / Senator smart touch

executive_smart_touch.jpg

No wifi and all programs on the machine. Like all 28 of them :)

Attachments

• IFB SMART TOUCH programs.png
    IFB SMART TOUCH programs.png
    544.4 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Though if you could confirm that with some drum measurements (depth & diameter of the metal drum in cm) by visiting a store then we'd have a confirmation.
Couldn't take a measuring tape, at least got to see washing machines from the three brands. LG and Samsung models at 8kg capacity didn't feel much different (w.r.t drum size). The LG could around 4-5cm less deep and 2-3 cm less diameter as a rough estimate. The tinted glass look of ifb 9014 and 1014 was very appealing, might go with the 10kg model. Salesperson mentioned LG 8 and 9 kg have same outer dimension and 9kg might fit 2-3 shirts more. Newer 9 kg model (1200 rpm) have even less depth and slightly larger diameter.

I very recently picked up the IFB Executive Plus MXC 1014 for around 34.2k after offers directly from IFB website.
The offer is over I guess. There are very few offers for SBI. Flipkart still has an offer for this model but only for icici cards, so nada their as well.
Guess I'll have to wait to see if flipkart brings SBI offer.
The combination of being in Delhi and having SBI card brings down the option...

Last edited:
Couldn't take a measuring tape,
They didn't have one in the store? That's why he can tell you BS like
Salesperson mentioned LG 8 and 9 kg have same outer dimension and 9kg might fit 2-3 shirts more.
Nah, they're the same drum volume as on date. Why pay more for 9kg?
The LG could around 4-5cm less deep and 2-3 cm less diameter as a rough estimate.
Can you live with the smaller size for a better engineered model? And what's with the non AI preference. The AI model I've recommended has a better UI than the non AI and you have the budget to cover it. If you don't have a fixation for the largest drum volume the LG should be the one to look at.
The tinted glass look of ifb 9014 and 1014 was very appealing,
Tinted glass is a bad choice as you won't be able to easily see into the machine. Always get clear glass. Check out this photo. How are you going to know what is happening with tinted glass?
might go with the 10kg model.
Why? Is there a drum volume difference between an 8kg ifb and 10kg ifb?

Are there features you want in the 10kg that the 8kg does not have.

Unless you measure you will never know. And the sales guy will tell you what he wants.

Can you modify your profile so it shows the time you were last on the board?

Last edited:
Can you live with the smaller size for a better engineered model? And what's with the non AI preference. The AI model I've recommended has a better UI than the non AI and you have the budget to cover it.
They didn't have and yeah it sounds like sales talk but there was no pressure for closing a deal.
See I don't have any experience with these front loading machines, so my preference would change depending on what I can get under my budget. If I can squeeze a good machine (in terms of build quality, and less plastic) with more drum capacity the better.

As for AI or Non AI, I might have not been clear, as I meant the newer 1200rpm model and the older 1400 rpm model by that. And my preference is for 1400rpm.

From what I gather IFB is not too shabby either with new models come with inverter motors. Still direct drive is my preference. Many people have complained with IFB upselling and pushing accessories to a fault.

Any comments on maintenance/repair cost comparison for LG and IFB are welcome.

Current choice of machine are- LG 8/9kg 1400rpm model > IFB executive plus clear 9/10kg

If I get a good deal from Amazon or Flipkaty with SBI card or other (with help from any FM) then I will go with either model at this point.
Also there's no doubt LG 8/9kg models are same, even the price gap is not much.

Last edited:
See I don't have any experience with these front loading machines, so my preference would change depending on what I can get under my budget. If I can squeeze a good machine (in terms of build quality, and less plastic) with more drum capacity the better.
After seeing both LG and IFB, can you live with the smaller 1400 rpm LG?
As for AI or Non AI, I might have not been clear, as I meant the newer 1200rpm model and the older 1400 rpm model by that. And my preference is for 1400rpm.

^Non wifi. With wifi has tinted glass.

^9kg with wifi for 1k more but with a tinted door. Irritating :sorry:

Keep in mind you will never run the machine at it's max spin of 1,400 rpm. Stick to 800 rpm or if needed 1,200 rpm. Your bearings will last longer with less stress.
From what I gather IFB is not too shabby either with new models come with inverter motors. Still direct drive is my preference.
Unless I get a confirmation from @L33TWiZaRd...

IFB does not do load detection like the LG. A light load or a full load will take the same time on the IFB unless you set timesaver for lighter loads. On top of that I noticed some IFB's default to 2h40m on empty and others 1h50m for the Cottons cycle. This discrepancy should not be there between models.

On my LG a light load defaults to 1h10 and a full load to 2h30. There are times in between for intermediate weights. This weight adjustment is there with every program and very handy and my model is from 2015 with no AI. The machine figures out itself how long to wash. There is no need for a timesaver option on LG.
Any comments on maintenance/repair cost comparison for LG and IFB are welcome.
Should be similar as both machines don't have welded tubs. I don't know if LG will have the option post purchase and for additional cost to change tinted front door for a clear one. Why not ask?
Current choice of machine are- LG 8/9kg 1400rpm model > IFB executive plus clear 9/10kg
Go to the shop again and take a second look at the LG I linked. Don't pull the trigger until you are clear what you want.
If I get a good deal from Amazon or Flipkaty with SBI card or other (with help from any FM) then I will go with either model at this point.
Also there's no doubt LG 8/9kg models are same, even the price gap is not much.
Since this is your first front loader I would recommend you buy from an offline store instead of online. That way you have some place to go if there are any problems in the future. And don't bother with any extended warranties. Learn how to properly use the machine and it will serve you well.

My LG completed eight years last week with zero issues. Since you live in Delhi I don't think you will have issues with the touch screen as may happen in the more humid southern parts of the country.

Last edited:
Installation matters. This time with a top loader. Ensure the drain pipe from the machine is attached at a height to prevent 'siphoning'. Which is a machine that is continuously filling and draining water at the same time or a combination thereof.

Ensure the drain pipe from the machine is attached at a height to prevent 'siphoning'.
must be different than Indian models for that to happen. If the drain pipe is attached at that height he's showing (top most water level is 8) then how will the water drain out? Even if it drains out, there will be stagnant dirty water in the pipe till that level. Yuk. Pretty soon that pipe will look black with mold and what not.

There is no drain pump in top loaders to pump water out. No pump at inlet to pump water in. If there was a pump, then we would hear it sucking water in the pipe. And no one would need to install water pump at home for increasing pressure to the machine. I don't take such yt videos at face value nor do i believe them one bit.

must be different than Indian models for that to happen. If the drain pipe is attached at that height he's showing (top most water level is 8) then how will the water drain out? .

There is no drain pump in top loaders to pump water out.
Looks like they found a way to minus a part and cut the cost with Indian top loaders. I'm surprised since my old semi automatic has a drain pump.

Your manual says the drain pipe should be no higher than 6cm so yeah that video is not applicable to your machine.

Attachments

•  LG drain pump.png
    LG drain pump.png
    238.4 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Your manual says the drain pipe should be no higher than 6cm so yeah that video is not applicable to your machine.
Even my old 12+ yr old Samsung didn't have a drain pump. ~25 years back, my Videocon twin tub machine didnt have it.
I don't think top loaders have a drain pump in India. Only the front loaders have those.

Is there really a difference using these anti vibration pads?

Had the machine been levelled with a spirt level there would be no need for these pads.

Even my old 12+ yr old Samsung didn't have a drain pump. ~25 years back, my Videocon twin tub machine didnt have it.
I don't think top loaders have a drain pump in India. Only the front loaders have those.
Well my close to 40 yr old Hitachi semi automatic from the ME does. I had the pump replaced a few years back.

I always wondered why people had the drain pipe near the drain at floor level and just let the water drain out and make a mess in the room it was installed. See, I just hook up the drain pipe to a sink which is a few feet above the floor and am done. The drain is at the opposite end of the room so I'm glad my semi automatic came with a drain pump.

Last edited:
Didn't know top loaders made a noise like this.

Clutch assembly gone. Depending on the brand probably too expensive tofix

This post is to do with overloading and how to spot it at runtime. When loading ensure a hands width from the top of the gasket to the top of the clothes. Another way is to try to touch the back of the drum with your hand. If you can do either then you're good. Don't press down on the clothes to pack them. Just drop them in and rearrange.

1)

^The idea is the clothes should tumble as the drum rotates.This machine is half full and can take more but you get the idea.

This allows
- proper wash action so cleaner clothes

- the machine to rebalance the load in case and out of balance situation occurs during spin.

- powder detergent to dissolve properly and no residue is left on the clothes. If you find any then load less the next time. Using powder detergent is good because you will get instant feedback if you are overloading. But instead what happens is people see this residue as a problem with powder, switch to liquid and continue overloading. A perception reinforced by the ifb demo guys who want to sell liquid detergent :banhappy:

- to reduce wear on the bearings and other supporting systems like shocks.

2)

^This is borderline overloaded. Don't fill more. Ideally when wet the clothes should be at the halfway mark or slightly above but never more. You can see there is space in the drum for the clothes to tumble.

3)

^This is overloaded. Notice there is no tumble and the clothes rotate with the drum.

4)

Proper overloaded. Zero tumble action. Clothes in the centre remain where they were and only get refreshed instead of washed.

People try to get done in one wash what really needs two. They will argue its not overloaded or machine can handle it.

Yes, it can if you're willing to sacrifice wash quality and longterm durability :bored:

Once I applied this criteria I was amazed how many enthusiasts that post wash videos on YT, who should know better were overloading :oops:

Last edited:
Today I noticed that my lg front load washing maching is leaking some amount of water from the bottom. Have asked for a repair from lg scheduled for this Sunday. Let's see what happens.

My guess is a torn front gasket seal. The grey rubber at the front, check if there's any tears there or if anything is blocking the drain holes located at 6 o clock

Another possibility is a leaking water intake solenoid valve but that should not be happening with a less than yr old machine.

My guess is a torn front gasket seal. The grey rubber at the front, check if there's any tears there or if anything is blocking the drain holes located at 6 o clock

Another possibility is a leaking water intake solenoid valve but that should not be happening with a less than yr old machine.
Front gasket is in quite good condition. When I checked it was from the bottom only. Let's see what the repairman says. Will update here.

Are the drain holes in the gasket, free?

There should be three holes at six o clock in the gasket
Yup they are.
Update:- looks like a one off issue. Engineer ran test mode. No leak. He opened back side and there were no dried water stains at the bottom of the plastic. It is a mystery now. All good.

Last edited:
Back