Front loading or top loading washing machine?

Folks after using whirlpool semi automatic with agitator I'm now keen on buying a fully automatic for the first time in my life. Please suggest as I'm also confused between top or front loader direct drum no drum Bosch or LG. Tia.

This is what i have in mind:

LG 9 Kg, 5 Star, AI Direct Drive Technology, Steam, 6 Motion DD & Wi-Fi Fully-Automatic Front Load Washing Machine (FHP1209Z5M, Intelligent & Convenient Fabric Care, Allergy Care, Middle Black) https://amzn.in/d/7WSS816

Last edited:
@blr_p : What's your opinion regarding this one:

LG 8 Kg (FHM1408BDM)

Official Product Page: LG 8 Kg - FHM1408BDM

I have been using this Bosch for the last 9 years: Bosch 6 kg Fully-Automatic Front Loading Washing Machine (WAB16060IN

Will this above LG 8kg suffice?

EDIT: I missed reading your post. Guess I'll have to look at an 8KG equivalent as 7KG LG drum size will be small.
I'd recommend one step sbove that model as its nicer

See here for LG.

Folks after using whirlpool semi automatic with agitator I'm now keen on buying a fully automatic for the first time in my life. Please suggest as I'm also confused between top or front loader direct drum no drum Bosch or LG. Tia.
What confused? Why don't you stick with what you got. You know how to care for it so itcanserve you indefinitely.

No top loader will compete with it for wash quality.
This is what i have in mind:

LG 9 Kg, 5 Star, AI Direct Drive Technology, Steam, 6 Motion DD & Wi-Fi Fully-Automatic Front Load Washing Machine (FHP1209Z5M, Intelligent & Convenient Fabric Care, Allergy Care, Middle Black) https://amzn.in/d/7WSS816
Avoid models with tinted doors. See the models i've recommended in the previous reply

Last edited:
What confused? Why don't you stick with what you got. You know how to care for it so itcanserve you indefinitely.

No top loader will compete with it for wash quality.

Avoid models with tinted doors. See the models i've recommended in the previous reply
Thx. my semi is working fine but off late I have realised it needs way more time than I would like to spend washing clothes :p Need a bigger one, I wash comforters in it as well.
+ It would be fun getting used to Automatic ;)
@blr_p

How about this one for 39990?

FHV1409Z4M

Last edited:
@blr_p : This morning I tried my Bosch machine and magically it started working again! Tested it with Spin and then a 30 minute empty wash and both times it worked without any hiccups.

Something strange happened in the last couple of days. My Samsung Microwave (which is 10 months old) suddenly started showing 'SE' error which meant there was something wrong with it's Touch Panel. I called Samsung and yesterday the mechanic came and replaced the touch panel on the microwave. No charges since it is still under warranty. The Samsung mechanic said it's due to the heavy rains and high humidity in Kolkata that affects touch panels sometimes causing a short and ruining them.

I don't know if it's humidity that caused my Bosch washing machine's control pod to malfunction too? Could it be? I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed and hope it runs now for a few more days giving me the cushion of buying a new machine in the next Sale. Of course if it malfunctions again then I'll just have to pull the trigger and order it sooner.

Thx. my semi is working fine but off late I have realised it needs way more time than I would like to spend washing clothes :p Need a bigger one, I wash comforters in it as well.
+ It would be fun getting used to Automatic ;)
@blr_p
You should check out these models in a store to decide whether they are suitable
How about this one for 39990?

FHV1409Z4M
Tinted glass door which I'm telling you to avoid

^Those are my recommends.
The Samsung mechanic said it's due to the heavy rains and high humidity in Kolkata that affects touch panels sometimes causing a short and ruining them.
That is one possibility and more likely in your case. The other is cockroaches.

Didn't you say it was making a noise too. That is something else.
I don't know if it's humidity that caused my Bosch washing machine's control pod to malfunction too? Could it be? I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed and hope it runs now for a few more days giving me the cushion of buying a new machine in the next Sale. Of course if it malfunctions again then I'll just have to pull the trigger and order it sooner.
Instead of waiting for that why not call for service and figure out where you stand.

You should at the same time explore options so you have a machine to go for when needed and don't end up making a distress purchase.
Then, a noise developed when the drum entered the rinse and spin cycle post-wash. This noise funnily enough went away a couple of months back but since last 3-4 days the noise returned even though it otherwise kept functioning normally.
^that

Should have made a video of it for reference

Last edited:
What is the usable volume in litres of your 8.5kg semi?
My bad it is 8 kgs. No clue about usable water volume. It is this one.

WP.jpg

@blr_p I have 8KG Semi right now will an 8kg Auto be able to wash same quantity of clothes in one cycle?
Yes

35 litres is the max load for an LG front loader having a depth of 55cm. I tend to keep to 30 litres as it puts less stress on the bearings long term. I find this is not the case with a number of people here who regularly overload the machine. Si be careful about that. Your semi is cheap to fix. A front loader costs more.

You might get away with a few litres more with belt driven machines like Samsung, Bosch & IFB. I'd still go with the LG though

Yes

35 litres is the max load for an LG front loader having a depth of 55cm. I tend to keep to 30 litres as it puts less stress on the bearings long term. I find this is not the case with a number of people here who regularly overload the machine. Si be careful about that. Your semi is cheap to fix. A front loader costs more.

You might get away with a few litres more with belt driven machines like Samsung, Bosch & IFB. I'd still go with the LG though.

35 liters is fine with me. I don't have time for washing clothes now.

Last edited:
@blr_p What is the biggest reason you prefer LG over Bosch?
LG's tubs are not sealed. So a bearings change if necessary doesn't require the whole drum assembly to be replaced which will be at least 40% of purchase cost. Who's going to do that. So you will replace the machine. Also if anything gets stuck between drum and tub you can at least remove it. If the tub is sealed you still can but you will need luck.

Bosch, Beko & Electrolux ie. Euro brands all have sealed tubs and for this reason i don't recommend any of them.

Direct drive machines have more torque and finer control of movement. So LG can claim their patented 6 motion cleans better because better wash action. None of the belt driven brands can claim that. More torque means a stronger drum support as well. Not to say others are weak but LG's will be tougher. Also another benefit of direct drive is quieter operation compared to belt driven. If the pumps are DC instead if AC you get a further reduction in sound but this only applies to their top end machines.

Load detect is there with LG which is missing on the other brands. I would prefer the machine figure out on its own if the cycle needs to be longer or not. Note that this applies only to a few programs but they are the ones you will use the most.

Ability to detect unbalanced spins and, attempt to rectify the problem. If an unbalanced spin is detected, slows down and reverses the spin direction in the hope the imbalance goes away. It will try at least ten times before giving up. This helps with longevity because it reduces unnecessary vibration over the life of the machine. Do other brands do this too or just power through an unbalanced spin no matter what? Not clear to me.

This also is why i recommend a clear door because you can see clothes clumping and maybe change how you load the machine next time to reduce chances of an unbalanced spin.

Last edited:
LG's tubs are not sealed. So a bearings change if necessary doesn't require the whole drum assembly to be replaced which will be at least 40% of purchase cost. Who's going to do that. So you will replace the machine. Also if anything gets stuck between drum and tub you can at least remove it. If the tub is sealed you still can but you will need luck.

Bosch, Beko & Electrolux ie. Euro brands all have sealed tubs and for this reason i don't recommend any of them.

Direct drive machines have more torque and finer control of movement. So LG can claim their patented 6 motion cleans better because better wash action. None of the belt driven brands can claim that. More torque means a stronger drum support as well. Not to say others are weak but LG's will be tougher. Also another benefit of direct drive is quieter operation compared to belt driven. If the pumps are DC instead if AC you get a further reduction in sound but this only applies to their top end machines.

Load detect is there with LG which is missing on the other brands. I would prefer the machine figure out on its own if the cycle needs to be longer or not. Note that this applies only to a few programs but they are the ones you will use the most.

Ability to detect unbalanced spins and, attempt to rectify the problem. If an unbalanced spin is detected, slows down and reverses the spin direction in the hope the imbalance goes away. It will try at least ten times before giving up. This helps with longevity because it reduces unnecessary vibration over the life of the machine. Do other brands do this too or just power through an unbalanced spin no matter what? Not clear to me.

This also is why i recommend a clear door because you can see clothes clumping and maybe change how you load the machine next time to reduce chances of an unbalanced spin.
Thanks! TBH all this is scaring me. I will use my semi for now. Let it die.

I'm getting TE error code in LG front loader. Seems like it is a thermostat error. I saw some YouTube videos on this. Do I need a service person or is it easy to fix this by opening the back panel and checking the thermostat.

I'm getting TE error code in LG front loader. Seems like it is a thermostat error. I saw some YouTube videos on this. Do I need a service person or is it easy to fix this by opening the back panel and checking the thermostat.
You will either need to change the wire that connects to the heating element or the heating element itself. I don't think the service guy will replace just the sensor (thermistor) . He will just replace the element.

Take a look at the back and see whether you can figure out what the problem is and then call the service guy. You will need genuine parts.

My Bosch machine which magically worked once yesterday has now bitten the dust. The drum just won't spin up. 9 years of solid service and it's mostly breathed it's last.

However, I called up Bosch Customer Care yesterday in the afternoon and lodged a request for a mechanic to come and check my washing machine. I was told I would get a call from a mechanic within the next 24 hours by their CC. Here I am 30 hours later typing this and haven't received any calls or messages from any Bosch mechanic. I once had to avail their customer support back in January' 2020 when the front control pod PCB was malfunctioning in the same washing machine and I remember that time too I had to wait a significant amount of time and make multiple calls to the Bosch CC before a mechanic finally showed up. It actually took them two visits just to diagnose the problem because the first mechanic who showed up didn't complete my call by getting and fixing a replacement PCB. Their service seems to have been maintaining the same abysmal state it was in back then.

Came across this thread on Quora as well about the woes of Bosch's after sales service:

How is your experience with Bosch appliances and their warranty?

Anyways, I won't be calling the Bosch CC up anymore as I have made up my mind to jump ship and get me a new washing machine. 9 years and it's about damn time I did! I'm currently debating between these two options:

LG 8 Kg - FHM1408BDW

Samsung 9 kg - WW90T4040CB1TL

@blr_p : You would recommend the above LG right between the two?

Back