Front loading or top loading washing machine?

Try a liquid detergent and see if it makes a difference. Try with half a cap if your water is relatively soft and then try going to a cap full. Make sure your water is enough.

Lint means the clothes are rubbing against each other so any thing that reduces that will reduce lint.

It's notable a FL does not have a lint trap. FL is gentler on clothes :)
Already tried liquid detergent, that too different brands. Also increased the default water level that the machine selects in the fully auto mode based on the load. Usually my wash time is 30-35 minutes and wash load is pretty light (5-6 clothes including undergarments) as I wash Dailly.

Already tried liquid detergent, that too different brands. Also increased the default water level that the machine selects in the fully auto mode based on the load. Usually my wash time is 30-35 minutes and wash load is pretty light (5-6 clothes including undergarments) as I wash Dailly.
What's the model# of this Whirlpool top loader ?

Which brand of pods ?

Cleaning better might be a result of better quality detergent able to clean at lower temperatures. Thing is this point was not made on the label for the Tide pods like it was with the ones in the UK as mentioned earlier.

That's the theory. From what i can tell, if the machine has a heater then a boil wash will clear out any plastic residue that accumulates inside.
These ones, which are readily available on Amazon and BB.

Honestly with the amount of friction clothes induce, I doubt the dissolvable plastic sheath is going to remain behind. My IFB in mixed fabrics mode runs for a whooping 1.5h. The cleaning is significant better with pod usage.

White magic classic 601sd
Your machine has a lint filter but it's under the impeller.

magic lint filter.jpg

The design is so there is no need to clean a lint filter.

There aren't too many complaints about lint with this whitemagic series. I saw a couple

Less than 1% complaints about lint. So something is up with your machine.

This one was interesting

Could it be the lint filter has got dislodged somehow and does not function as intended ? a blockage somewhere

You might need to take a look inside.

Last edited:
Descaler -
How often do you recommend one should use a descaler? We use our washing machine pretty much every alternate day.

Which descaler do you guys recommend? There are so many out there, each company sells their own, and now even Surf Excel sells their own. TIA!

This did the trick, it seems. The sticking of lint reduced to 80% almost. Thanks a lot for the suggestion.
The idea is the detergent lifts the lint and dirt and keeps it in suspension or separate from the clothes. Since your loads are light, overloading isn't hindering that process.

Which brand of detergent were you using ?

How much detergent were you using before and how much did you increase it by ?

Are the results the same for powder and liquid ?
Descaler -
How often do you recommend one should use a descaler? We use our washing machine pretty much every alternate day.
You need to understand water hardness and how that varies around the year. The way to measure water hardness is to get a titration kit. This one has a wide measuring range from 50-1000ppm

TDS meter can be misleading when it comes to measuring water hardness. Any other salts in the water will give you high readings when in reality your actual hardness as in presence of just calcium/magnesium salts might be lower.

Anything above 200ppm is hard and you would need to use a descaler regularly, so every three months. You would also need to increase your detergent dosing per wash. What it says on the packet. Detergents contain washing soda which acts as a water softener.

If its above 400ppm its better to get an ion exchange filter that you fill with table salt to reduce wear and tear on the machine and save on detergent.

My water hovers around 100 during the monsoons and can reach close to 200 in the dry season so Jan - May. So i'd use a descaler twice during this period only. I use half the recommendation (20gm) when washing and increase it to 30gm in the dry season. If the clothes are visibly stained then an extra 20gm in prewash.

I can tell because when i sterlise any bottles and dry them they seem to be coated with a white residue which isn't there during the monsoons.

Which descaler do you guys recommend? There are so many out there, each company sells their own, and now even Surf Excel sells their own. TIA!
Citric Acid will work. About two scoops in the detergent drawer. So 120gm.

Cheaper is available but I wonder as to its purity. Same quantity for half price. How do they pull that off ?

I'd be more concerned as to the detergents you use say do you use liquid and whether you use fabric softener on top. These are more problematic and leave smelly residues behind than if you stuck to powder.

What kind of machine do you use ? top loader or front.

Last edited:
I rarely use the hot setting in my front load and get clean clothes. Only if the water temp drops below 20c do I switch to 40c setting.

On very rare occasions for highly soiled clothes like when I work on my vehicles or doing some diy work, only on those days do I use a 60c setting.

If you have solar water heater you can dump the upto 55c hot water into the washing machine. Any higher the plastic detergent dispenser will discolor or become brittle fast.

Some washing machines may not work with hot water input and may throw up a error code. But In my LG front load and whirlpool front load its works fine.
1) Is there any way to regulate the temperature of water coming out of a solar water heater ?

Cloudy day the temperature is as hot as tap water. Hot day it gets how hot ?

I set my geezer to 65 degrees as that's what i like for a bath. These heaters are good for baths not so great at hooking up to a washing machine.

2) the problem with hot fill is twofold

By sending hot water into the machine right at the beginning it will quickly kill the enzymes in the soap. See the enzyme activity graph i posted earlier.

This means the cleaning has to come from bleach. In fact if you are doing hot washes then a detergent with bleach is necessary as that is where the cleaning will come from. Or you add it in as an additive. Otherwise all you get is whitening and if its white clothes or lights they will get dull with time if there is no oxygen bleach. Optical brighteners can only go so far.

By slowly heating the water through the internal heater the enzymes get more time to do their work. There is a class of stains that enzymes are better like blood, egg or grass. Takes at least 10-15 minutes to reach any set temperature by which time the enzymes have done the job.

The next problem is any protein stains like blood will get set at hot temperature and need extra detergent to remove. Those types of stains are best done no higher than 40.

Cold fill is better.

Hot fill is a classic example of washer makers not talking to detergent makers. Happens only with US machines. So people have to use more detergent which then requires more water to rinse out. And people used to this cannot comprehend how a front loader gets the job done with so less water. Can't be true. Obviously this must be a design flaw with FL's, lol.

Last edited:
1) Is there any way to regulate the temperature of water coming out of a solar water heater ?

Cloudy day the temperature is as hot as tap water. Hot day it gets how hot ?

I set my geezer to 65 degrees as that's what i like for a bath. These heaters are good for baths not so great at hooking up to a washing machine.

2) the problem with hot fill is twofold

By sending hot water into the machine right at the beginning it will quickly kill the enzymes in the soap. See the graph i posted earlier.

This means the cleaning has to come from bleach. In fact if you are doing hot washes then a detergent with bleach is necessary as that is where the cleaning will come from. Or you add it in as an additive. Otherwise all you get is whitening and if its white clothes or lights they will get dull with time if there is no oxygen bleach. Optical brighteners can only go so far.

I use a thermostatic valve which controls the output temperature. The pipe lines from solar to the washing machine has about 1 liter of cold water before the hot water starts to get above ambient temperature. Then it maintains 60c(my temp setting) assuming solar that day makes water as hot as that.

But this water when it passes through the drum the temp drops as the stainless steel absorbs heat.
So its more like 40 to 50c inside. I could of course by pass the thermostatic valve and get temp upto 80c in summers but not sure it will be good for plastics like the dispenser tray.

I use a thermostatic valve which controls the output temperature. The pipe lines from solar to the washing machine has about 1 liter of cold water before the hot water starts to get above ambient temperature. Then it maintains 60c(my temp setting) assuming solar that day makes water as hot as that.
So you set the washer to 40 degrees and if the water isn't hot it will heat it up otherwise the washer's thermostat will detect the water is hot enough and not switch on.

You have the best of both worlds. Optimised power consumption. 0.1unit per wash on a hot day for a regular wash otherwise more.

Front loaders add water slowly. This means the clothes come into contact with concentrated detergent initially just as the water heats up. This is another way front loaders clean better.

Where this solar heater setup will really shine is with top loaders or twin tubs with no internal heaters. In those places in the country that get 300 days of sun a year. The clothes will not reek of detergent and the cleaning will be better.

Thing is the rinses will also be hot. Not a problem but top loaders need more water and then there won't be enough hot water for the bath.

You only need warm water for washing, rinsing can be done in cold water but that requires some one to switch over when the wash cycle ends and back again for the next wash so not practical.

How long does the solar heater take to heat water up on a hot day ?

This also means washing has to be done earlier in the day if more hot water is required. Getting the wash done earlier in the day is a good idea as humidity is lower and drying times will be shorter especially in the wet season.
But this water when it passes through the drum the temp drops as the stainless steel absorbs heat. So its more like 40 to 50c inside.
If you can control the temperature of the water as it enters the machine then 40-50 is ideal for washing with the powder detergents we get here.

I could of course by pass the thermostatic valve and get temp upto 80c in summers but not sure it will be good for plastics like the dispenser tray.
No need. Let the water come in at your set temperature and then set the washer to anything higher as need. Tub cleans or boil washes will cost half as much this way.

Last edited:
So you set the washer to 40 degrees and if the water isn't hot it will heat it up otherwise the washer's thermostat will detect the water is hot enough and not switch on.
I set it to cold or default 20c for a 1hr fixed cycle( about 20min of washing, rest are just rinse and spin). If its cotton cycle only then its put to 40c.

Thing is the rinses will also be hot. Not a problem but top loaders need more water and then there won't be enough hot water for the bath.
A hot rinse means the cloths after spin will still be warm and will dry faster.
You only need warm water for washing, rinsing can be done in cold water but that requires some one to switch over when the wash cycle ends and back again for the next wash so not practical.
So I use about 160L of hot water a day I have a flow and temperature meter, so I know how much hot water is left out of the 200L solar water heater and also the real time temperature. So in summers there is plenty of hot water left, in months of oct or nov, dec like this year where we had ton of rains, there is no hot water at best we get 40c compared to otherwise 20c water.

How long does the solar heater take to heat water up on a hot day ?
So from say a 3 day rainy/cloudy streak and you get sunlight, by the afternoon the water will be above 50c, if the sky is clear it can go to 60c by the end of the day, the following day because the water in the solar tank is already hot next day it heats it up to further higher temperature so in summer unless we use 160Liters of water the temperature will exceed 80c which is very close to the rated temp spec of the CPVC pipes. So in those days we use hot water for everything from tea to cooker, dishwashers etc. Everything cooks or boils faster when the temperature is preheated for free.
In summer I also don't clean the solar water heater glass surface that often since it will get the water temp extremely high well above what the CPVC pipes can handle.

Decided to look this one up and check it out

Comes from a French company called Eurotab. When i look on that company's website for a descaling product i find one listed as a toilet bowl cleaner and a foaming product at that. So this can't be used on tub clean in a LG front loader.

I then try to find other products from Eurotab that are toilet bowl cleaners and discover a company in the UK outsources from Eurotab for a toilet bowl cleaner.

The product is called Astonish. A British rebrand. Astonish sells in India too. Reviews aren't great.

I'm interested in the ingredients. This info is readily available in Europe. Only contains 1-5% of sodium percarbonate.

That's not great to remove grime inside a washing machine.

Affresh has ten times more of that chemical. And Affresh tabs are 40 gm vs. 20 gm from HUL which is why they tell you to use two. Problem with Affresh is the price

Unless i'm mistaken HUL is selling a rebranded toilet bowl cleaner as a washing machine descaler.

Last edited:
My interaction with the RB corporation did not go so well :bored:

Can you tell me the product details of Vanish oxi action powder made in the India plant.

https://www.vanish.co.in/products/vanish-oxi-action-powder/

Ingredients list here is not as full as indicated below.

Please follow the same detailed format in your reply as RB does for their product sold in the UK

https://www.rbeuroinfo.com/s/brands...uage=en_GB&brand=61&country=UK&sku=27404-3787

Their reply

Thank you for contacting us.

We would like to inform you that 'Vanish Oxy Action Powder' is not a regulated product and therefore the ingredients are not mentioned on the pack. We are a duly compliant multinational company, and we disclose ingredients for specific products only, as mandated under the Drugs and Cosmetics and Insecticide regulations.

Please do not hesitate to call us at our Consumer Helpline at: 1800 102 7245 and our representative will be happy to assist you. We look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks & Regards,

Consumer Care Team
Not a regulated product ?

Only disclose for specific products under the regulations... :banghead:

Vanish is Sodium percarbonate.
Yes it has that but i wanted them to confirm whether its the same product as sold in the UK or whether there are some changes. They refused to answer.

I think it is because the price is comparable. Around Rs.1k for 1.5kg in the UK or Rs.200 for 400gm in India. Price is generally a good indicator of parity.

Does this mean other products that use this 'oxy' term also contain percarbonate ? like Henko's stain champion with 'oxygen power'

For that need a way to test for the presence of percarbonate. Easy. 5g in a steel flask and then pour boiling water slowly half full. Then wait for the fizz.

This happens with Vanish. But there is no fizz with Henko's stain champion with 'oxygen power'

So the term Oxy is used in a marketing sense only with other products.

I'm trying to come up with an affordable and effective way to do tub cleaning that can be performed regularly.

Pure Sodium percarbonate on its own needs 50 degrees and above to be effective.

Percarbonate releases hydrogen peroxide which then releases oxygen and this process does the cleaning.

Vanish can work at lower temperatures because it contains a bleach activator called TAED. It's out of patent so its there in the Vanish sold in India.

With a bleach activator the percarbonate is turned into peracetic acid which is even better at cleaning and this process begins at 25 degrees on. The cleaning increases further at higher temperatures.

It's that peracetic acid that oxidises aluminium vessels turning them black in a dish washer. Don't want aluminium vessels to turn black then use a dishwash detergent that does not contain percarbonate like Fortune. Price is less because it does not contain percarbonate. Same applies with laundry detergents when compared with their western equivalents. Ariel sold in the west has percarbonate. What about the one sold in India ? do the boil test and see.

Dishwasher tablets also contain percarbonate and bleach activators but the safety data sheets i've seen indicate it contains only a third of the percarbonate of vanish.

So Vanish is a better candidate than dishwash tablets to clean washing machines but the problem with Vanish is it foams too much.

Last edited:
Washing machine and Tumble dryer 2 in 1 >> https://www.lg.com/in/washer-dryer-combo

I have been using the 9KG model for over 3 years now and we use dryer for most of the cycles due to space constraints for drying clothes.

There are many dry modes available and we use the low temp mode and it takes 2.5 hrs to dry the clothes completely, for us to fold and keep them back in wardrobe.

F4J8VHP2SD.
You might want to check this out

The machine is a total disappointment. It produces so much lint that sometimes I have wash clothes twice to remove the lint. This problem
Could a dirty machine be the reason for lint ? I don't understand how that can be the case but a review i saw for a cleaner suggested it.

I've got a thread on cleaning the machine already.

Last edited:
Hi,
I own an LG washing machine and I would recommend everyone to stay away from LG as far as possible. Also, avoid touchscreen panels.

Any out of warranty product, LG will simply change the entire circuit board and charge exorbitantly for it. Doesn't matter if the issue can be fixed by a toothpick. Also, touchscreen panels work by having a copper sponge and they catch moisture and stop working.

Hi,
I own an LG washing machine and I would recommend everyone to stay away from LG as far as possible. Also, avoid touchscreen panels.
And who do you recommend instead ?
Any out of warranty product, LG will simply change the entire circuit board and charge exorbitantly for it. Doesn't matter if the issue can be fixed by a toothpick. Also, touchscreen panels work by having a copper sponge and they catch moisture and stop working.
Can you mention your experience where they did that

And who do you recommend instead ?

Can you mention your experience where they did that
1) Whirlpool. Purely because of their after sales service. They offer annual maintenance contract of worth 3 years for 7k. Any problem gets fixed immediately. This is the amount what LG quotes to me everytime I call them. ( Apparently, this is the cost of circuit board)

2) It happened with me. I've got a LG front load washing machine. One day it stopped working out of the blue. Refused to turn on irrespective of what I did.Called LG and they quoted 7k over phone. And they were providing only 3 months warranty after spending that 7k. A 22k 4 years old washing machine costing around 8k for repair didn't seem right. I did some research and apparently this was a very common issue and was fixed by replacing the contact sponge behind touchscreen by a metal spring. This didn't even cost 50INR. The youtube video which detailed this fix has lots of comments from people asking the same thing why LG is asking 7k for fixing such a small issue. That's how I got to know that mine was not an isolated incident. And mind you, they don't even provide any annual maintenance contracts.

Back