Front loading or top loading washing machine?

1) Whirlpool. Purely because of their after sales service. They offer annual maintenance contract of worth 3 years for 7k. Any problem gets fixed immediately. This is the amount what LG quotes to me everytime I call them. ( Apparently, this is the cost of circuit board)
That's for the main board. Whether that is necessary or not depends on the individual case.
2) It happened with me. I've got a LG front load washing machine. One day it stopped working out of the blue. Refused to turn on irrespective of what I did.Called LG and they quoted 7k over phone. And they were providing only 3 months warranty after spending that 7k. A 22k 4 years old washing machine costing around 8k for repair didn't seem right. I did some research and apparently this was a very common issue and was fixed by replacing the contact sponge behind touchscreen by a metal spring. This didn't even cost 50INR. The youtube video which detailed this fix has lots of comments from people asking the same thing why LG is asking 7k for fixing such a small issue. That's how I got to know that mine was not an isolated incident. And mind you, they don't even provide any annual maintenance contracts.
What is the model# of your LG machine and can you post the link to the youtube video you referred.

My machine is over 6 years old and no problems. It's quite a plain machine with no touch screen. Just plain buttons to select various options.

I don't see the value of maintenance contracts. They come over quick and fix whatever is needed.

That's for the main board. Whether that is necessary or not depends on the individual case.

What is the model# of your LG machine and can you post the link to the youtube video you referred.

My machine is over 6 years old and no problems. It's quite a plain machine with no touch screen. Just plain buttons to select various options.

I don't see the value of maintenance contracts. They come over quick and fix whatever is needed.
Hi, the model is FH0H3NDNL02.

Here's one of the youtube videos. There are many more like this.

My experience with LG front loading washing machine is very good. Earlier machine was a nonon- touch machine which serviced for 10 years without any major issues. Total service cost was rs 3000 maximum during the lifespan. All service requests were attended in same day or a day later. It was used daily my house was located in ground floor which was pretty damp during the monsoon (Kolkata). It was still in service when we decided to go for a bigger machine and exchanged it.

With earlier experience it was no brainer that I'd buy a LG again. So the new machine is a 8kg one with touch panel. Used daily, working as expected. But the touch panel sometime picks up ghost touches (someone passing nearby?) and switches off. This is only gripe and I'd not prefer a machine with touch panel in future if I have option.

My experience with LG front loading washing machine is very good. Earlier machine was a nonon- touch machine which serviced for 10 years without any major issues. Total service cost was rs 3000 maximum during the lifespan. All service requests were attended in same day or a day later. It was used daily my house was located in ground floor which was pretty damp during the monsoon (Kolkata). It was still in service when we decided to go for a bigger machine and exchanged it.

With earlier experience it was no brainer that I'd buy a LG again. So the new machine is a 8kg one with touch panel. Used daily, working as expected. But the touch panel sometime picks up ghost touches (someone passing nearby?) and switches off. This is only gripe and I'd not prefer a machine with touch panel in future if I have option.
Yes. That's how my problem started. Ghost touches and then later it developed problem of not registering touches at all. Notice only the switch off/on button is registering ghost touches and not other buttons. Reason being the copper sponge deteriorates with use and that button is the most used one. But at least you know the root cause now. This is a widely reported issue with LG front loaders with touch screen panels. Yet they haven't change the design in last 4 years.

Hi, the model is FH0H3NDNL02.

Here's one of the youtube videos. There are many more like this.
Thanks, my model is only couple years older than yours. I was confused when you said touch screen as i don't have that as mine only has buttons.

His fix is similar to repairing a remote control. A video i saw some time back recommended to use this tape.

conductive tape.jpg

Can't find it on amazon any more but it passes the conductivity test which is essential to test beforehand.
a very common issue and was fixed by replacing the contact sponge behind touchscreen by a metal spring. This didn't even cost 50INR. The youtube video which detailed this fix has lots of comments from people asking the same thing why LG is asking 7k for fixing such a small issue. That's how I got to know that mine was not an isolated incident.
This kind of behaviour is rampant among repair guys the world over. They always take you for a ride if they sense you are ignorant.
1) Whirlpool. Purely because of their after sales service. They offer annual maintenance contract of worth 3 years for 7k. Any problem gets fixed immediately. This is the amount what LG quotes to me everytime I call them. ( Apparently, this is the cost of circuit board)
@adder what do you make of Whirlpool ?

You paid 7k for the first three years ? I never paid anything because most problems will happen after 5 years.

If anything breaks within the two years the warranty will take care of it. Course here the risk is the wait time.

If they fix it quick then fine but if its weeks because they don't have the part its as good as having no machine. Most people end up paying because they can't be without a machine or trading in for a new machine.

It's for this reason i still keep an old Hitachi twin tub as a backup.

Fridges and washing machines are essential appliances these days. You can't survive more than a few days without either.

I remember IFB offering 4 years warranty as an incentive to go with their machines. Double what the Koreans offer. This i interpreted as their machine is more likely to break down compared to the Koreans. The amount of complaints i saw online for IFB and poor service put me off when i was looking for a new machine.

However I will remark IFB had the best user manual compared to any one else. They really took efforts to explain how to use the machine and educate the users.

Last edited:
Thanks, my model is only couple years older than yours. I was confused when you said touch screen as i don't have that as mine only has buttons.

His fix is similar to repairing a remote control. A video i saw some time back recommended to use this tape.

View attachment 138125

Can't find it on amazon any more but it passes the conductivity test which is essential to test beforehand.

This kind of behaviour is rampant among repair guys the world over. They always take you for a ride if they sense you are ignorant.

You paid 7k for the first three years ? I never paid anything because most problems will happen after 5 years.

If anything breaks within the two years the warranty will take care of it. Course here the risk is the wait time.

If they fix it quick then fine but if its weeks because they don't have the part its as good as having no machine. Most people end up paying because they can't be without a machine or trading in for a new machine.

It's for this reason i still keep an old Hitachi twin tub as a backup.

Fridges and washing machines are essential appliances these days. You can't survive more than a few days without either.

I remember IFB offering 4 years warranty as an incentive to go with their machines. Double what the Koreans offer. This i interpreted as their machine is more likely to break down compared to the Koreans. The amount of complaints i saw online for IFB and poor service put me off when i was looking for a new machine.

However I will remark IFB had the best user manual compared to any one else. They really took efforts to explain how to use the machine and educate the users.
Thank you for the tape details. For now I've used a kitchen dishwasher sponge piece wrapped in aluminum tape but this one is certainly better.

There is one thing I'll like to clarify regarding whirlpool. I'm not talking of extended warranty when I say 7k for 3 years. I believe extended warranty can only be taken while purchasing the product or in rare cases when the product is in warranty.

7k for 3 years was when my product was out of warranty. I think it had been more than 2 years since I had purchased the washing machine and then I had purchased that annual maintenance contract. Extended warranty might be much cheaper.

There is one thing I'll like to clarify regarding whirlpool. I'm not talking of extended warranty when I say 7k for 3 years. I believe extended warranty can only be taken while purchasing the product or in rare cases when the product is in warranty.

7k for 3 years was when my product was out of warranty. I think it had been more than 2 years since I had purchased the washing machine and then I had purchased that annual maintenance contract. Extended warranty might be much cheaper.
Ah, i've definitely not heard of such a contract with LG. This is being offered by the company that does the service, most likely 3rd party.

LG has their own people so don't offer such an option. I'd hardly use this as a reason not to buy an LG though.

While watching your video you can see the PCB is potted. It's covered in epoxy glue. This is done to prevent moisture affecting the components. It also means if just a capacitor blows which happens on any PCB that its impossible to fix unless you replace the entire board.

Boards that don't have this epoxy on them will give problems much sooner. Yeah they can be fixed but you'd have to do it more often.

Ah, i've definitely not heard of such a contract with LG. This is being offered by the company that does the service, most likely 3rd party.

LG has their own people so don't offer such an option. I'd hardly use this as a reason not to buy an LG though.

While watching your video you can see the PCB is potted. It's covered in epoxy glue. This is done to prevent moisture affecting the components. It also means if just a capacitor blows which happens on any PCB that its impossible to fix unless you replace the entire board.

Boards that don't have this epoxy on them will give problems much sooner. Yeah they can be fixed but you'd have to do it more often.
I have appliances of whirlpool, samsung,lg and sony in my house. It's only LG whose after sales service has left a bitter taste. In my case I'v registered service request 2 times with LG. Both times, the repair guy asked what the issue was over phone and then plainly told that the mainboard needs to be replaced. And like I said it didn't even cost me 50inr to repair afterwards. And it's not just me. The comments in youtube video which I posted clearly shows it's happening with other people as well. LG makes really good products but I'm going to stay away from them for near future unless they sort this out.

I Both times, the repair guy asked what the issue was over phone and then plainly told that the mainboard needs to be replaced. And like I said it didn't even cost me 50inr to repair afterwards.
No manufacturer authorised service center will offer you component level repair.

No manufacturer authorised service center will offer you component level repair.
I don't think this qualifies as a component level repair. Maybe capacitors, soldered memory chips can't be repaired but this is just a contact sponge glued to metal. (Check out the repair video). It can easily be replaced. Consider it like a thermal paste applied on CPU. You remove old one and apply a new one.

I have appliances of whirlpool, samsung,lg and sony in my house. It's only LG whose after sales service has left a bitter taste. In my case I'v registered service request 2 times with LG.
How has the service with whirlpool & samsung been ?
Both times, the repair guy asked what the issue was over phone and then plainly told that the mainboard needs to be replaced. And like I said it didn't even cost me 50inr to repair afterwards. And it's not just me. The comments in youtube video which I posted clearly shows it's happening with other people as well. LG makes really good products but I'm going to stay away from them for near future unless they sort this out.
Some time ago a relative of mine bought a Samsung front loader. They installed it but did not bother to level it. He was clueless about it. Then while using it the machine started dancing around. He called up service they told him he had to put it on a stand. Only then did it stop moving. I see number of reviews on amazon where people video the machine moving and say something is wrong. They too don't get it.

You don't need to put it on a stand. You need to level it. Many are not aware of this. I bought a spirit level before my LG front loader was installed and ensured the machine was level. It has not moved in the 6 years I bought it. Buying that spirit level was a learning experience in itself as the guy in the shop did not even have proper ones. I had to test 6 of which 3 were as good as useless and only the last two could be trusted. He wanted to sell me something for 5k that was better. I told him the 1k 2 foot long was all i needed. And i was pissed off as his shop was listed as seller of Stanley but he did not have any and had some generic that was slightly cheaper instead and proportionalety less accurate. But enough for purposes of levelling a machine.

People who buy split AC's these days. How many of the guys who install it will vacuum the lines first ? none will unless you insist on it to the point you refuse installation otherwise. Because this is what a paid 3rd party installer would do but the free installation guys refuse. This vacumming of the lines makes a big difference to service life.

This is the sort of thing that goes on across the industry. Nobody is into preventative maintenance in this country as they prefer to sell a fix later when it would not be required in the first place. I could make this argument even in the health care sector.

You pay nothing for installation which means the people who install it are not very knowledgeable. Or they are but they want to do it for least cost since they are not getting paid much for the job. Then the service guy says you need to do this and that. Anything so long as each service call ends up in some sale or other.

When i bought an LG fridge. It made a certain noise. My previous fridge was nearly 50 years old so i had no idea how quiet these new inverter fridges could run. The demo guy came over. They are repair people. He wanted to sell me a service contract for Rs.3k. Asked what he will do. He said he will come four times a year and clean it. I don't need a guy to do that. I can do it myself. Then i asked him about the sound which he seemed to have missed. He then pulled the back off and twisted a pipe coming out of the compressor and the sound went away and the fridge became dead silent. Had I not pointed that out at the time i'd have had to call him over again and pay the visiting charge and whatever service on top. It would have been a Rs.1k call. Which i got done for nothing because demo was free. That was three years ago. The fridge has been working fine ever since.

Being aware is half the battle. When my LG washing machine was installed the demo guy was pushing some sort of water softener for Rs.800 that was entirely unnecessary and on top was not even that effective. I refused it because water in my area is generally soft and when it gets harder in the dry season it still isn't hard enough to cause scale of any sort. None of the geezer heating elements have ever had scale on them.

Unfortunately the buisness model followed results in this kind of behaiour because they have to find some way to survive. We expect white goods to remain the same price yet ignore there is such a thing as inflation. The shift to touch screens on washing machines is another cost cutting way for LG to account for inflation while keeping the cost of the machine the same. It has not increased since i bought mine over six years ago. I noticed for the same price and drum volume some features have been removed. Otherwise its the same thing. They have increased the weight rating from 7 to 8kg.

The main reason to go with an LG front loader is the drums aren't as yet sealed. This means something like a bearing change is feasible. The rest of the brands have all moved to sealed tubs. You can't do a simple fix like a bearings change on them any more without replacing the entire drum assembly. Yeah, its because of that inflation thing I mentioned.

Last edited:
My Lg front load has touch panel bought in 2019 and so far no issues.

To those people here who are having touch issues are you close to the sea or lake or river. Where is the washing machine kept.

Whirlpool is definitely bad when it comes to service for front load WM.

For their fridges and top loaders which are made in india, the service is better. Since I see spare parts of those in spare stores.

But their front loaders are all imported from EU countries.
When my 2008 purchased whirlpool front load bearing went for a toss in 2015. Their service center flatly refused to service the front loader. Even after me telling the exact issue and what parts needs to be replaced.

So in 2017 I replaced the bearing with SKF brand vs the no name chinese brand from factory. In 2020 I replaced the shocks, shipped from UK during covid wave.

So my whirlpool is now 14 years old, used daily since 2019. Earlier it used to be used every 3 days once.

Had I bought a sealed drum front loader I would have probably be on a third washing machine by now.

How has the service with whirlpool & samsung been ?

Some time ago a relative of mine bought a Samsung front loader. They installed it but did not bother to level it. He was clueless about it. Then while using it the machine started dancing around. He called up service they told him he had to put it on a stand. Only then did it stop moving. I see number of reviews on amazon where people video the machine moving and say something is wrong. They too don't get it.

You don't need to put it on a stand. You need to level it. Many are not aware of this. I bought a spirit level before my LG front loader was installed and ensured the machine was level. It has not moved in the 6 years I bought it. Buying that spirit level was a learning experience in itself as the guy in the shop did not even have proper ones. I had to test 6 of which 3 were as good as useless and only the last two could be trusted. He wanted to sell me something for 5k that was better. I told him the 1k 2 foot long was all i needed. And i was pissed off as his shop was listed as seller of Stanley but he did not have any and had some generic that was slightly cheaper instead and proportionalety less accurate. But enough for purposes of levelling a machine.

People who buy split AC's these days. How many of the guys who install it will vacuum the lines first ? none will unless you insist on it to the point you refuse installation otherwise. Because this is what a paid 3rd party installer would do but the free installation guys refuse. This vacumming of the lines makes a big difference to service life.

This is the sort of thing that goes on across the industry. Nobody is into preventative maintenance in this country as they prefer to sell a fix later when it would not be required in the first place. I could make this argument even in the health care sector.

You pay nothing for installation which means the people who install it are not very knowledgeable. Or they are but they want to do it for least cost since they are not getting paid much for the job. Then the service guy says you need to do this and that. Anything so long as each service call ends up in some sale or other.

When i bought an LG fridge. It made a certain noise. My previous fridge was nearly 50 years old so i had no idea how quiet these new inverter fridges could run. The demo guy came over. They are repair people. He wanted to sell me a service contract for Rs.3k. Asked what he will do. He said he will come four times a year and clean it. I don't need a guy to do that. I can do it myself. Then i asked him about the sound which he seemed to have missed. He then pulled the back off and twisted a pipe coming out of the compressor and the sound went away and the fridge became dead silent. Had I not pointed that out at the time i'd have had to call him over again and pay the visiting charge and whatever service on top. It would have been a Rs.1k call. Which i got done for nothing because demo was free. That was three years ago. The fridge has been working fine ever since.

Being aware is half the battle. When my LG washing machine was installed the demo guy was pushing some sort of water softener for Rs.800 that was entirely unnecessary and on top was not even that effective. I refused it because water in my area is generally soft and when it gets harder in the dry season it still isn't hard enough to cause scale of any sort. None of the geezer heating elements have ever had scale on them.

Unfortunately the buisness model followed results in this kind of behaiour because they have to find some way to survive. We expect white goods to remain the same price yet ignore there is such a thing as inflation. The shift to touch screens on washing machines is another cost cutting way for LG to account for inflation while keeping the cost of the machine the same. It has not increased since i bought mine over six years ago. I noticed for the same price and drum volume some features have been removed. Otherwise its the same thing. They have increased the weight rating from 7 to 8kg.

The main reason to go with an LG front loader is the drums aren't as yet sealed. This means something like a bearing change is feasible. The rest of the brands have all moved to sealed tubs. You can't do a simple fix like a bearings change on them any more without replacing the entire drum assembly. Yeah, its because of that inflation thing I mentioned.
"How has the service with whirlpool & samsung been ?"

Whirlpool->good. Samsung->exceptional. I have a samsung refrigerator and samsung fridge. One day there was a power surge and both stopped working. Turned out the circuits were burnt in fridge. Didn't know what happened with TV but it was turning on and then display was fading off. Looked really bad. Samsung fixed the refrigerator under 3.5k by replacing both PCBs. Outside repair shop had quoted 7k. The TV was fixed only service charge was levied.

"The shift to touch screens on washing machines is another cost cutting way for LG to account for inflation while keeping the cost of the machine the same"

Well, there are issues with the panel as mentioned. Unless LG fix this, I'll stay away from their front loaders.

Need recommendations for the purchase of front loading washing machine.​

Asking here because you guys have insane amount of knowledge on washing machines. I have a 10+ year old top loading automatic from Videocon and it's very bad in every aspect. It started falling apart in just 1 year. We got it repaired several times, I repaired it a few times but after a while there were no spares available in the market and company had vanished. I hear people using their washing machines using more than 10 years and it sounds very magical to me.

I have few needs which I think washing machine should cover. Kindly suggest or correct me. We are family of 3-4 people and we usually wash frequently with lighter load rather than big load few times a week. Water is soft and electricity is good. Budget is ~30k. Some of my requirements might sound primitive but understand what ordeal my current machine has given me.

1. I was thinking to go with 6.5 or 7kg models in front loading wrt to my requirements. I think 8kg will be an overkill. Our current top loading machine is 5.5kg only and it's fine for us. Correct me if I'm wrong.
  2. Please, it needs to be reliable. I want to be a part of the elite club of people who have fully working washing machine even after 10 years. I'm okay with regular maintenance and some occasional part change but spare/service should be available.
  3. No need for fancy stuff like wifi, smart, ai, 55 different recipes for washing clothes.
  4. Should haves >
    1. Longer soaking time. My current machine can soak for only 5 minutes. It's useless.
    2. Should be able to clean thoroughly. It can take longer but it should be able to clean dirty jeans like clothes. Currently we have to soak the clothes in a bucket and hand wash them before putting them into machine.
    3. Should have water heater.
    4. Should have option to use fabric conditioner.
    5. Should have various options available to use as detergent, conditioner from the market. Meaning there shouldn't be any mendation to use detergent made by washing machine company only.
  5. Preferences >
    1. Wouldn't prefer touch screen as we live at ground floor and humidity can remain super high during heavy monsoon. We are otherwise relatively dry throughout the year (I'm in Pune). I have also found that appliances with touch screen break more often.
    2. Can pay extra for 1200+ RPM. I think 1400 RPM machines are available only in 8kg or more.
    3. Would prefer if it can dry the clothes 100%. No idea if such washing machines exist.
    4. No need for super silent. It can be as loud as it wants as long as it does the job.
    5. We don't have rodent problem nowadays, but would prefer to not have any gap at the bottom. I saw some images on Amazon and some machines look like they are sitting directly on the floor without legs. I have leveled flooring for washing machine.
Suggest me good brand/model. If you think I'm missing on some crucial feature that I might need then let me know that as well. I'm planning to get one in the upcoming prime day sale. I'll also dump current machine in the exchange.

Do look for brands which have good ASS in your area.
With my limited knowledge of using FL machine for 1.5 years, I would suggest LG given the balance it offers. Though it has touch screen for inputs, I think most models these days opt for touch panel.
My main priority was good wash and it hasn't failed me in this aspect.

Sorry to yet again highjack the thread but I am also looking for a new top load washing machine.
We have been using an LG top load for 15+ years and it's been super reliable so I would prefer to stick to LG and top load if possible but still open to suggestions. Looking for 7kg to 8kg model. I don't know anything about washing machines so any model suggestions would be really helpful. Prime day is coming up on Amazon so maybe there will be some good deals.
I also found this washing machine from realme which looks like a great deal. Are they any good?

Last edited:
Stick to reputed brands unless you want to spend money on a regular basis on these Chinese brands.
Any specific reason for sticking with Top load?
Reliability I guess? Been using a LG top load machine for 15 years and it has been super reliable with basically zero problems so I am inclined to stick with it. I'm also doubtful about the water pressure levels. Still, I'm open to suggestion or at least learning new things :)

I'm also doubtful about the water pressure levels. Still, I'm open to suggestion or at least learning new things :)
How high is your water tank from the floor where the machine will be used?
I hear people using their washing machines using more than 10 years and it sounds very magical to me.
Those are older models. Bought before 2010 or earlier. The main factor that determines how long a machine will last is water hardness and care. More important with front loaders than top loaders. There are also duty cycles that a machine can handle before it breaks down. Typically around the 2k mark. Meaning 2k washes. You might get more, it's just an approximation from how long people typically get ie. 5-7 years.

If you wash every other day then expected life will be closer to ten years. If you wash every day the machine will be done in 5 years. Wear and tear.

Duty cycles was higher in the past as the components used were of better quality. The thing with the appliance industry you have to understand is people expect to pay the same price for whatever new appliance that they paid 5 or ten years back. This ignores inflation. So companies are constantly looking for ways to cut costs and this inevitably leads to a reduction in duty cycles. Whereas you might have got more than 5k cycles a decade ago the figure is likely half these days keeping in mind maintenance and proper care of the machine.

There will be things you need to fix in the meantime. It will not be entirely fault-free. Electricals mostly. When you have mechanical problems that's when you will have to look at replacements.
I have few needs which I think washing machine should cover. Kindly suggest or correct me. We are family of 3-4 people and we usually wash frequently with lighter load rather than big load few times a week. Water is soft and electricity is good. Budget is ~30k. Some of my requirements might sound primitive but understand what ordeal my current machine has given me.

1. I was thinking to go with 6.5 or 7kg models in front loading wrt to my requirements. I think 8kg will be an overkill. Our current top loading machine is 5.5kg only and it's fine for us. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Here you need to keep in mind wash tub volumes. As the kg rating changes so does the volume. That isn't the whole story. kg ratings can change but the drum volumes remains the same because they used a more powerful motor. kg does not matter. Volume is everything.

Use the mixie rule. Don't load more than 60-65% for a full load. This will ensure proper washing as well as avoid overloading. Get an idea of what your wash load is in terms of volume. Life imposes change, what you think is adequate today might not be a few years from now. So add some more headroom say 20% on top and then choose the volume of tub you need. If you ensure you never load beyond 65% volume there will be less load on your machine and you might eke out a couple of years more life from it. Applies to front as well as top loaders.

8kg if you are looking at Korean machines is what I would recommend as it gives you a 55litre drum. Minimum size even if its just for one person as you can get more washed in one go. The 6.5/7kg models use a 43 litre drum which is too small and will lead to over loading. The only reason to consider that size is if you can't get the machine through the door or you are limited for space. These machines have a depth of 45cm. You want a depth of 55cm and no less.

1. Please, it needs to be reliable. I want to be a part of the elite club of people who have fully working washing machine even after 10 years. I'm okay with regular maintenance and some occasional part change but spare/service should be available.
Can't get more than 10 years. With touch panels on LG's those give trouble is less than 5 requiring opening the panel and replacing pads. Course they will tell you to change the whole panel which if you read earlier posts isn't necessary.

Saw this company getting recommended by one youtuber. They take care of repairs. But they only offer a max of 4 years. So manufacturer+4 is 5 years.

I'm in my 6th year with zero problems. I would like to get an extended warranty now :woot: Bet, they won't sell me one

I don't recommend extended warranties because they don't cover you when you really need them. In any case you said you have good electricity and soft water. Take care of the machine and you will be fine. That touch screen though :sorry:

1. No need for fancy stuff like wifi, smart, ai, 55 different recipes for washing clothes.
  2. Should haves>
    1. Longer soaking time. My current machine can soak for only 5 minutes. It's useless.
    2. Should be able to clean thoroughly. It can take longer but it should be able to clean dirty jeans like clothes. Currently we have to soak the clothes in a bucket and hand wash them before putting them into machine.
    3. Should have water heater.
    4. Should have option to use fabric conditioner.
    5. Should have various options available to use as detergent, conditioner from the market. Meaning there shouldn't be any mendation to use detergent made by washing machine company only.
1. You can soak as long as you want but it requires intervention. So once you load up the machine, select the pre-wash modifier, let the water fill and soap mix. Halfway through the prewash cycle or 2.5 mins later, switch it off at the mains. Simulate a power cut. Now soak as long as you want and then resume the power. The machine will detect it is full and resume at the start of the pre-wash cycle, complete 5 mins later and then move to the main wash cycle. I don't know if newer front loaders offer a soak feature. Mine does not so this is how I've improvised.

Another way is to soak in a bucket with vanish. Rinse out twice by hand and then dry. Next wash put the dry item in the regular wash. Drying is important here as if you put a soaking item into the machine it will assume a heavier load and pick a longer time to wash. A workaround is to use the daily wash cycle that has a fixed duration regardless of load.

2. Clean thoroughly is a question of the stain and appropriate pre-treatment. All the machine does is agitate clothes. It's not a miracle worker. You need an understanding of the kind of stain, its chemistry (see attached) and then use appropriate pre-treatment if necessary so it comes out clean. Enzymes are already present in Ariel & Surf which is why they caution not to use them with woollens. Enzymes will eat natural fibres like wool. But it's important to wash at a minimum of 40 degrees so enzymes can be fully activated. Oxidising is what Vanish does depending on the stain. Builders also are present and will take care of mud stains or particulate. Greasy stains are also handled by the detergent.

Given the nature of the stain, one attempt might not be adequate. It might take more washes. Meaning you have to wash two or even three times with pre-treatment. Typically if clothes are soiled I soak them in Vanish for half hour. Then wash as normal. As described in 1) for the reasons you mentioned.

3. Agreed. Wash all clothes in a minimum of 40 degrees which allows the detergents to activate completely and give you the best wash. With a top loader, this can become expensive as the water has to be heated. If you have a solar heater with a thermostatic mixer that can deliver water at that temperature you are good even with a top loader. otherwise, a front loader is the preferred choice.

4. I always discourage the use of fabric conditioners because it just leads to smell problems later. All models have a compartment to use and it typically is dispensed during the last rinse cycle. Make your own with citric acid crystals. 20% concentration with water in a bottle. Shake well so it is completely dissolved. Use 10ml per wash.

5. There is no requirement to use specific products by the manufacturer but it's always recommended to use washing detergent by either Unilever or P&g. Typically this means either Surf or Ariel, powder and not liquid, designed for front loaders if that is the machine you use. Stick to powders and avoid liquid or gel tabs and you will have minimal headaches to deal with. You will still have to do maintenance as I've detailed in another thread but it will be easier.

• Preferences>
    1. Wouldn't prefer touch screen as we live at ground floor and humidity can remain super high during heavy monsoon. We are otherwise relatively dry throughout the year (I'm in Pune). I have also found that appliances with touch screen break more often.
    2. Can pay extra for 1200+ RPM. I think 1400 RPM machines are available only in 8kg or more.
    3. Would prefer if it can dry the clothes 100%. No idea if such washing machines exist.
    4. No need for super silent. It can be as loud as it wants as long as it does the job.
    5. We don't have rodent problem nowadays, but would prefer to not have any gap at the bottom. I saw some images on Amazon and some machines look like they are sitting directly on the floor without legs. I have leveled flooring for washing machine.
Suggest me good brand/model. If you think I'm missing on some crucial feature that I might need then let me know that as well. I'm planning to get one in the upcoming prime day sale. I'll also dump current machine in the exchange.
1. You will have to shop around for this. The latest LG's all come with touch screens these days.

2. Use 400rpm if humidity is less than 60% and 800 rpm above. Skip the higher speeds as that just increases wear and tear on the bearings. Higher rpms are useful if you are going to put the clothes into a dryer which you will not do anyway. See here for more

3. Requires a separate dryer of which there are a few kinds. A washer dryer is more hassle than it's worth and takes several hours to dry clothes. Still there are people who prefer them like this lady.

5. Machines usually come with rat screens these days. It's just a piece of plastic that covers the base. LG has one. This became a requirement since people started sticking their machines on stands creating a gap with the ground for rats to enter. It's not advisable to use any stand. Properly level the machine instead. This is something to watch for as if it is not level then it will start dancing around. The proper way to level it is to use a spirit level which none of the installation or demo guys will have. Get your own 2-foot-long spirit level from the market in advance and when they install it you guide them. Online purchase is not advisable for this item. You have to check the level is true and the only to do that is in a shop after you asked them to give you 5 and you test all and keep the best.

If you don't want to do that, download this app. Select spirit level. Attach your phone provided it has a flat back to 2-foot long plane. And use the app to balance the machine. Two feet long will be more sensitive to incline than one foot. Remember to rotate the phone 180 degrees to double check, If they don't match the problem is with the plane. Find another as it is not level. This is also how you check if a real spirit level is true.

The machines that usually get recommended here are LG 8kg. So 55 litre drum. No sealed drum as far as we know (unlike other brands) this means bearings change possible in the future. Good ASS if you live in a tier 1 or 2 city.

There are several models you can look at depending on the features you want or not. Make sure the depth is 55cm.

Attachments

• vanish.pdf
    789.1 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
Back