Front loading or top loading washing machine?

If you're going to do that how about a video?
Sorry about the delay. I made a quick video with this Jet Spray thing in action. It actually works automatically in normal, prewash, aqua reserve and turbo modes, I just didn't notice it before.
I didn't try the magnet thing so filmed through the tinted glass but for some reason, when recording throught the glass, within 10 seconds of recording, my pixel 4a's camera lens kept fogging up :/
It seems to be spraying wayy above but then again, there were only a few cloths and the machine only selected water level 4. Also, it uses the spray during both- wash and rinse

Attachments

• PXL_20220823_060012566.jpg
    PXL_20220823_060012566.jpg
    345.9 KB · Views: 53
Sorry about the delay. I made a quick video with this Jet Spray thing in action. It actually works automatically in normal, prewash, aqua reserve and turbo modes, I just didn't notice it before.
Very good. Here we see the jet spray in action, it's the equivalent of putting your hands under a tap and waving them around. It does not simulate rubbing hands which I guess 'wave action' is trying to do.

That black clothes item on the top does not move around in this 30s clip. It seems to remain on the top. Clothes are only being spun around instead of rotated.

To catch the movement you have to film the 'turbo drum' aspect of the wash. Turbo drum just means the tub and impeller move in opposite directions at some point in the wash cycle. I think that will move the clothes around a bit more and we will get to see how good the wash action is like. This will be more apparent with smaller items than bigger ones like a bedsheet.

What I want you to try is record for a longer duration and then speed it up 8x. This way we can see 4 min of washing in 30 seconds. And if it's not too hard try shooting in landscape instead of portrait.

I didn't try the magnet thing so filmed through the tinted glass but for some reason, when recording throught the glass, within 10 seconds of recording, my pixel 4a's camera lens kept fogging up :/
Hmm, I wonder why that is happening. If the camera heats up and it is humid then condensation won't occur. But if it is colder and then warms up maybe it will.

So run the camera for a few minutes so it warms up and then try to record. This way there will be less temperature difference between the camera and ambient temperature.

Or see if it happens if you film a little further away from the machine. You can still pinch to zoom I think.

Magnet thing is a question of finding where to place the magnet as you can see here

It seems to be spraying wayy above but then again, there were only a few cloths and the machine only selected water level 4. Also, it uses the spray during both- wash and rinse
Water level 4 is chosen for a load that is less than 1.5kg which it is. But it says at water level 4 that it uses 39L which should be halfway up the drum isn't it? there aren't enough clothes In there to absorb so much water.

It does not look like that in your video. I can't tell from the photo or video how high the water is. Does not look very high. Maybe quarter the depth of the drum if at most which would be water level 1 :watching:

Last edited:
I am also looking to replace my old top loader. Looking for another top loader. Budget is 20k. Anyone using these LG models?

Will it be a lot better if I extend my budget a bit and go for this? https://www.amazon.in/LG-Inverter-Fully-Automatic-Loading-FHM1006SDW/dp/B09LLMH3CQ/

Thanks and could you suggest any model? All LG ones I could find are 44 cm. Only saw a few Samsung models with 55 cm depth.
With front loaders, you have the choice of either Samsung or these LG models

I'd stick to these two brands as the drums are not sealed like they are with Bosch or Siemens. Many Indian influencers pushing Bosch these days I see.

How to tell ? very simple, just tip it over and take a look underneath. If you see bolts on the tub it's not sealed. if you don't then it is.

I can't comment on IFB

With front loaders, you have the choice of either Samsung or these LG models

I'd stick to these two brands as the drums are not sealed like they are with Bosch or Siemens. Many Indian influencers pushing Bosch these days I see.

How to tell ? very simple, just tip it over and take a look underneath. If you see bolts on the tub it's not sealed. if you don't then it is.

I can't comment on IFB
These LG models are out of my budget. How is this Samsung model?

That's the same one @lockhrt999 has and he seems happy. my reply is here

The reason I recommend the LGs is the drum support is thicker due to it being a direct drive. The spider on the sammy is a thinner gauge as its belt driven.

When we see disassembly videos of Samsung that drum support seems dissolved away and it creates a negative impression.

I'm starting to think the reason is because of cheap detergent.

If you go with the Sammy make sure you stick to either Ariel or Surf for front loader only. If you see any detergent that does not have a front loader picture on the packet avoid it.

The reason is these detergents are specially formulated for front loaders. They foam less but the more important reason is they are pH buffered. Meaning they won't go above 10 which is more basic. Cheaper detergents are not buffered and can go into the pH 11 range which over time will deposit on the drum support and weaken it. Do not use a top loader detergent in a front loader. It's formulated for much more water than a front loader uses. The thing is these cheap higher pH detergents will clean better because the pH is higher so most conclude they are best and cheap so why pay more? Best at cleaning perhaps but not best for the machine.

If you can check out the model in a store so you get an idea of what it is. It should handle the same load as your present Toploader. By that, I mean 30L volume of dirty clothes. Stick to a minimum of 40 degrees to wash clothes and you should be good. At that temperature power consumption will be double your top loader with no heating around 0.2 unit vs 0.1 but the wash quality will be better which is the main reason to get a FL in the first place.

Keep in mind your water hardness and height from the water tank.

Levelling with a spirit level is important with front loaders.

Inspect the machine before giving the OTP otherwise Amazon won't accept the return (!)
Received my samsung front loader. Drum volume is ~70L (26r, 33h). It's made in India. I was under the impression that these are made in Vietnam.
I want you to check if there is a way to get Rinse hold in your machine.

Rinse hold is a setting in the spin section that held the water in the machine after the rinse cycle ended. It would stop dead until you manually select the spin speed. It's handy in certain cases.

I don't see it on your machine or any of the recent LG machines.

Soooo....when the rinse cycle is close to ending I want you to press the pause button and wait and see what happens.

After half an hour is it still paused, an hour later?

With my machine which does have rinse hold in the spin section, pressing pause will result in the machine draining out the water after five minutes. Like a no spin setting, just drains the water leaving the clothes sogging wet.

Does yours hold on to the rinse water longer?

Last edited:
I want you to check if there is a way to get Rinse hold in your machine.

Rinse hold is a setting in the spin section that held the water in the machine after the rinse cycle ended. It would stop dead until you manually select the spin speed. It's handy in certain cases.
I used no spin option. I'm not sure if it holds water or not. The drain motor didn't turn on so I think rinse water was still there. I checked manually and there was little water at the bottom.

I have written review for this model a few pages back.

With supercoin coupon, bank discount, exchange bonus etc. it can be had for like 20k. Wait for some sale. If you are spending above 15k then I'd suggest you to go for front loader only.

I used no spin option. I'm not sure if it holds water or not. The drain motor didn't turn on so I think rinse water was still there. I checked manually and there was little water at the bottom.
Does the machine switch off at this point like the wash program ended or is it paused waiting for further input?

Is the door lock still engaged until you do something further.

Does the machine switch off at this point like the wash program ended or is it paused waiting for further input?

Is the door lock still engaged until you do something further.
The machine did switch off with a tune.
Door was unlocked.
However, I was in the next room when it ended and I'm presuming it didn't run drain motor because I didn't hear it.

The machine did switch off with a tune.
Door was unlocked.
If the door is unlocked then water has drained. No spin does not mean rinse hold in that case.

These days I see that rinse hold feature only in higher-end Sammys and that too models sold abroad. It has all but vanished on Indian models.

So is there a way to get it I wonder?
However, I was in the next room when it ended and I'm presuming it didn't run drain motor because I didn't hear it.
I want you to try the pause button before the last rinse ends and see what happens

PITA to do this.

I have written review for this model a few pages back.

With supercoin coupon, bank discount, exchange bonus etc. it can be had for like 20k. Wait for some sale. If you are spending above 15k then I'd suggest you to go for front loader only.
Thanks. Ill anyway wait for the october sale and will exchange my old top loader as well.

What do you guys think of the newer top loads that come with inverter technology? Anyone have any experience with those? And how it's been running for you?

What do you guys think of the newer top loads that come with inverter technology? Anyone have any experience with those? And how it's been running for you?
I'll say go with inverter technology anytime. It takes away a lot of moving parts like gear, clutch etc. The inverter motor itself does all the work of transmission. One can expect less maintenance and some energy savings.

I'll say go with inverter technology anytime. It takes away a lot of moving parts like gear, clutch etc. The inverter motor itself does all the work of transmission. One can expect less maintenance and some energy savings.
I don't know if you are aware but at least here in Mumbai, 90% of the technicians out there simply persuade customers, almost force them to not go with anything inverter by saying that kharcha zaada badhta hai and that it gets damaged soon. Therefore they say it's not worth it even in ACs as well as washing machines.

Back