Graphic Cards Funny stuff...

i was seriously thinking abt getting a 6600GT
well...wat do i do now?? :S
X800?? wats the Indian price for both 128mb and 256mb versions?

AFAIK nVidia does not have anything great either in India... of course if you go to the right dealers on Lamington road... sure, but then probably that holds true for ATI too.

nVidia is opening is experience centers in Delhi and Mumbai.Their pricing is much better than ATi's over here.They also have an India-specific brand, BIG which sources BFG oems(although they need to work on their pricing a bit more),so their support system is very much in place.BFG is a Tier-1 card manufacturer originating in the legendary Visiontek(which went into obscurity after switching sides to ATi).
Regarding ATi ,all they have is second or third rung oems like PowerColor and Palit(the Rs. 7500, 9800 pro that I posted about and which created considerable interest here was from Palit).
Unless we see Sapphire cards from ATi being sold at similar levels to Nvidia ones from BFG(BIG),I can't rate ATi favorably here.
Of course,in the states its a different matter but ATi still needs a good top to bottom SM3.0 line of cards.Agreed SM3.0 on NV4x is in a nascent state(which doesn't matter as G7X parts will soon replace NV4X ones)but so far ATi has mostly engaged in paper-launches for over a year now.And the R520 is still no where to be found.
Even if the R520 scores >10k in 3dmark'05 ,there is still the 7800U,possibly fully taped out and just needing a bit tweaking from NV to enable the rumored 32 pipes (a very likely possibility) already present on the G70.Even simple linear extrapolation would put it at 10.4k 3dmarks w/o any core speed increase.With a very slight core speed bump/driver tweaks it may kick the R520 in the butt.
Currently,ATi has decent cards(again only in US)in the X800XL and X800 series but the 6800 series are also dropping in price by the day and given the sm3.0 support a lot of people will opt for the 6 series cards.

good points..... abt the brands of ATI available in India.... very correct.... I agree with you.

Regarding nvidia, we have Gainward, Leadtek, MSI, Asus, Gigabyte, etc.... while in ATI, though we do have the Asus, GB, they are not in as many numbers as nvidia cvards.....

Basically, ATI do not have many cards in India. That is all.... simple basic fact

All this stuff about brands is nice, but frankly gfx card availability in India sucks...
just walk in to your neighbourhood dealer's place and see if he even knows what one is... I am serious. You won't imagine what s*** I went thru when I was buying my PC back in Dec 2003. Nobody even knew what an A64 was (it had only been out internationally 2-3 months then), some idiot dealer told me that a PCI card wud not work in an A64 board (was a temp until I could get a good AGP), and other such bullshit (ask Apollyon and Darks who umesh is). When I called Gigabyte's disti and asked for Fx5700 they offered me a GF440Mx or whatever. I couldn't even find a decent nVidia at ALL back then, and it was with great difficulty that I got the club3d frm lamington road, thanks to Mask drawing everyone's attention to a small advert for BBC in digit (an employee of whom, Vikas, incidentally told my sister who went to pick up the card that I must be in the gfx business to be buying that card.)
even now, most shops have a box or two of gfx cards, probably empty. I have never seen any move, and I am talking about a "big" shop in the main shopping district.

situation of nvidia high end cards is improving with xfx and recently big having ready stocks of almost the entire range of gf6 series

i still remember thepain of trying to find a s939cpu in chennai last december :p atleast you ppl had some model # to go by

KingKrool said:
All this stuff about brands is nice, but frankly gfx card availability in India sucks...
just walk in to your neighbourhood dealer's place and see if he even knows what one is... I am serious. You won't imagine what s*** I went thru when I was buying my PC back in Dec 2003. Nobody even knew what an A64 was (it had only been out internationally 2-3 months then), some idiot dealer told me that a PCI card wud not work in an A64 board (was a temp until I could get a good AGP), and other such bullshit (ask Apollyon and Darks who umesh is). When I called Gigabyte's disti and asked for Fx5700 they offered me a GF440Mx or whatever. I couldn't even find a decent nVidia at ALL back then, and it was with great difficulty that I got the club3d frm lamington road, thanks to Mask drawing everyone's attention to a small advert for BBC in digit (an employee of whom, Vikas, incidentally told my sister who went to pick up the card that I must be in the gfx business to be buying that card.)
even now, most shops have a box or two of gfx cards, probably empty. I have never seen any move, and I am talking about a "big" shop in the main shopping district.
Dude I've been 'in the market' since 2001.My first card here was a GF1 32MB SDR back in early 2002 for 4.3k,I know the whole story,inside out. ;)
You're not the only who feels most dealers here outta be roasted alive. :eek:hyeah:

KingKrool said:
some idiot dealer told me that a PCI card wud not work in an A64 board (was a temp until I could get a good AGP), and other such bullshit (ask Apollyon and Darks who umesh is)
u dare insult pune's hardware god !!!! :bleh: :bleh:

There are innumerable such incidents that I can narrate.Some plain funny-When I went to buy my SMPS some time back,the dealer made many hilarious suggestions(This guy was not a crook just stupid ;) ),he began by asking me which 'agp' I had?(lol)I started with something like 'GeForce FX 57...'(my then video card),he immediately shot back 'how many mb'?(rofl)I said 128mb(that my card was a 256mb one was a different matter,I wanted to see his reponse),he promptly and proudly pointed me to the ASROCK KM266 boards on his shelf and suggested that I buy one as it has a '256mb'(actually the max. size of the DVMT buffer) on-board. :rofl:
Now,by that logic I should throw away the nf2 and the 6600GT and buy a KM266 for its '256' on-board agp coz hey the 6600GT is only '128' right? :eek:hyeah:
So,what if its fill-rate and performance are like a 100 times better than the Savage3D crap on the KM266 '256' AGP!!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Back