OC & Modding Gainward the highest OCer in 6600gt series + Voltage Modding

@quad ---- Today seems to be your lucky day..... 6600GT GLH at 11K, BenQ1640 available in Chennai.....

Don't let it go..... Grab this opportunity with both hands...

Last edited by a moderator:
Nikhil - i know u are always trying to help me bro but the thing is that currently my
parents cant give me money for getting that , also i had some money which will be
spending on the PSU.

The GLH for 11K is the best one to get if ne one is looking for a 6600GT it OC's like hell.

^^ this will require voltmodding..which is friggin tuff....

i was pooped byt the voltmods i did on my mobo, these are much tougher :S

A card like the 6600GT is already clocked near its max.Even the so called "fastest" 6600GT is a 30% overclock,not worth the trouble IMHO.
Esp. when a 10-15% overclock can be achieved w/o hassle on stock cooling.And lets not forget that with most cards in India having three years warranty,its never a good idea to mod the stock cooler unless u can put it back on(removing the cooler is also tricky sometimes you can damage the core while trying to do it esp. if you don't have needle-nosed pliers at hand.).My card does 580/1134,a bit on the low-side but even if it were to do 650/1300(and thats a big if) tomorrow would there be a noticeable improvement in games?In all likelihood no.
Of course,this applies to India only.In US,you can always have a better card for $100-150 3-4 months down the line ,so mod all you want.And then there are generous RMA policies in case of 'coverable' accidents.

@QM :

And so we ran 1.75v with a pencil mod instead of the usual 1.45v.

this is exactly the concept of voltmodding :)

even then, 1.75V is just too much..the card'll definetly conk in 1-2 days of use at that voltage....

then it'l be useful obly for bragging rights..which i feel is unnecessary

SunMysore said:
@QM :

this is exactly the concept of voltmodding :)
even then, 1.75V is just too much..the card'll definetly conk in 1-2 days of use at that voltage....

then it'l be useful obly for bragging rights..which i feel is unnecessary

I was talking abt GLH version not volt modding.

they've used the GLH right???

and they have achieved this OC at 1,75V. this is not possible without voltmods. they have voltmodded the card so that the core is supplies with 1.75V instead of 1.45V

BTW they have oced it to 570/1240 .AFAIK. funky's does 580/1220

Mine did 575/1220 without vmods.
It went over 600 with vmod. Well over 600.
I did not run any benchmark as it was getting too hot at just 1.65v.
Just ran rthdribl for like 10 sec and temps started going through the roof.
So i shut down pc and removed vmod.
With better cooling you can surely do vmod.
And warranty erms are generous here too.
I havent seen dealers carefully checking the core before accepting it for replacement. They will just look for their signature or bill and send it to RMA.
No more questions asked.
And as i always said at every single forum. Whatever happes do not throw away the stock HSF. Just put it back and send it to the RMA if needed.
And with 6600GT the increase in card performance is quiet substential. I still havent oced it for playing games yet. When that time comes i will replace it or overclock it 24x7 if i am short of money.

funkymonkey said:
Mine did 575/1220 without vmods.
It went over 600 with vmod. Well over 600.
I did not run any benchmark as it was getting too hot at just 1.65v.
Just ran rthdribl for like 10 sec and temps started going through the roof.
So i shut down pc and removed vmod.
With better cooling you can surely do vmod.
And warranty erms are generous here too.
I havent seen dealers carefully checking the core before accepting it for replacement. They will just look for their signature or bill and send it to RMA.
No more questions asked.
And as i always said at every single forum. Whatever happes do not throw away the stock HSF. Just put it back and send it to the RMA if needed.
And with 6600GT the increase in card performance is quiet substential. I still havent oced it for playing games yet. When that time comes i will replace it or overclock it 24x7 if i am short of money.
Core overlcocks on the 6600GT have a marginal effect at best on performance.
So ur memory is the limiting factor.PCI-E cards usually tend to overclock higher as there is no HSI bridge which lowers stability at higher memory clocks,thats the reason Nvidia had to lower clocks for the AGP version to 900 mhz; not due to cost cutting as suggested in many places.
And as always with any overclocking individual results vary.Some Tbred-B 1700+ did 2.4Ghz with ease ,others hardly reached 2ghz.
I haven't yet started exploring the a64 scene but will do so soon in a couple of months,sure will be fun getting frigging fast hardware for dirt cheap prices.

Nope not really.
I have done preety intensive testing regarding that with 3dmark05 and also gaming benchies.
Here is a data from a 3dmark test run about a month ago.
Stock speeds: 3917
568/1.22 : 4319
core at 568 memory at stock :4098
Core at stock memort at 1.22: 4122

All tests done with cpu oced to 2.72Ghz.
The scores have improved since then with newer drivers but i dont have the card in my hands to do the test right now. Will do it when i get my card back in my hand.

So both core and memory oc matters almost equally.
Sure at higher resolution memory matters more. But with 6600GT most people will be using 1024x768.

mine XFX easily Overclocks to 600/1190 ........ max i have got on 3dmarks 05 is 3985 .... but that was because i was using nvidia drivers not the omega or anything ....... anyways i think willl some other good kooling it can go further without any problem ...... memories gets very hot while OCing these cards ....... and there is nothing much i can do about that ....

rahul said:
memories gets very hot while OCing these cards ....... and there is nothing much i can do about that ....

lol...u can use ramsinks...

had FX5200...using RAMsinks i cud push it from 400 to 460 (stock 333, gets fkin hot at 400, crashes then)

no not even ramsinks are needed.
Just make yourself a card cooler and attach it below the card.
Makes whole lot of difference. Specially cooling memory chips.
you dont void the warranty too by sticking memory sinks there ;)

The BFG's HS is already very good,with a radial flow from the fan spreading over the entire card surface.Hence my reluctance to change,though I have a good A-XP has lying around.

Back