Galaxy R vs Optimus 2X - Which is a better buy?

rtkomar

Adept
http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=3598&idPhone2=3967

So the comparison of specifications can be seen in the above mentioned link. Both cost about 19k.

Here are the major differences.

First Galaxy R then Optimus 2X
  • 1 GB RAM vs 512 MB RAM
  • SLCD 4.2 inch screen vs IPS LCD 4 inch screen
  • 5 MP, 720p camera vs 8 MP, 1080p camera
  • Scratch-resistant glass vs Gorilla Glass
  • Samsung Service and Support vs LG Service and Support

If we just look at the specifications, Optimus 2X definitely looks better on paper, save for the RAM. But is it really better than Galaxy R? For e.g., LG's service and support is not as good as Samsung's and their phones always have one or the other problem (As far as I have seen).

1080p video of Optimus 2X is no better than 720p video of Galaxy S according to GSMArena and Galaxy R has same camera module as that of Galaxy S.

Now more RAM might mean that Galaxy R performs better than Optimus 2X.

So the users of these phones, please let me know your opinion. It would be very much helpful for me to decide which will be my next phone.

I am F3niX in Cyanogenmod forum buddy.. It was started by me..

Please everyone vote for it!!
<

About the phone: Its DAMN awesome!!! Never even think.. Just go for it!!

Both devices are great in their own way Optimus is better on paper and has more custom roms while Galaxy R has better battery life and better looks. If I were you i would go for the SGR as there are more Samsung devices on the market and Samsung has a decent after sales service and it may get ICS which is amazing I had used it for a week on my I9100.

I heard that many face overheating and freezing issues with O:2X, even with custom ROMs. This is something to do with the design and cannot be fixed using software updates. I did a bit of search on the internet and it turned out to be true.

I would close my eyes and go with Galaxy R.

That must be some manufacturing defect on some specific pieces. I too have not experienced any such issues.

But as Faraz said, the O2x is either unavailable or overpriced now, so the SGR is a better buy.

So most of you are suggeasting Galaxy R instead of O2X. Okay, I will try to find a display piece of Galaxy R in shops like Reliance digital and check myself. One of my friends had bought O2X. I couldnt meet him since 6 months. Yesterday I checked his phone, It looks cool and feels sturdy. There wasn't any noticeable lag too. Camera sample were okay. There was highlight clipping and dynamic range was not that great. He told that his cell had battery heating and quick draining problems with FroYo, but after Gingerbread update those problems have subsided. There seems to be some problem with RAM management.

One more thing, is there a possibility of Galaxy R's price settling down a bit more?
<

Both the options are BAD, you shouldnt consider Optimus 2X and SGR at all in the 1st place, the time when Optimus 2X was awesome for the price tag of 20K is gone.

1) LG Optimus 2X was available on a few online sites for 19-20k but then its out of stock with most of them.

2) In shops like alfa and other such known in Delhi and Mumbai, the phone is for 24,950/-

3) A little birdy has confirmed from LG that, this could very well be the last stock of Optimus 2X and stores where the stocks are over, will be either getting one more last stock or wont be getting a new stock at all... LG Optimus 2X has ALMOST REACHED ITS EOL.

4) Custom ROM support sucks, yes there are CM7 and MIUI Weekly updates, but then again, they are stuck on Android 2.3.7 and will be stuck for that for another 3-4months unless LG releases some official ICS stuff for Optimus 2X, also nvidia is not friendly with android developer community, havnt released any proper understandable codelines for tegra 2 and neither do they have plans as Tegra 2 is not on their priority list

5) Also you wont really find a lot of updates / mods from CM7 or MIUI for this phone or most phones based on GB 2.3.7 coz most of the developers are now working on ICS

6) This phone doesnt have an AMOLED display, plus IPS Screen of LG is okay, not a big deal apart from its brightness, but ppl loving deep pure blacks and stuff will not like the screen

7) This phone does record in 1080p, but there is NO autofocus while recording a video, plus its not that sharp and looks quite blury

8) The 8mpx cam of the phone isnt that bigger deal coz quality is just decent, also the cam is fugged on custom ROMs and you'll always feel pain in your a r s e trying to fix the cam by flashing diff cam stuff on diff roms.

9) At this point of time, honestly, IT'S NOT WORTH to go for Op2X, rather go for Incredible S which has exact same specs and hardware as the Awesome Monster from HTC Desire HD (sadly no more available), Incredible S has 4" better quality display than Desire HD's 4.3" display

About SGR,

One thing for it, Phone is awful, built quality is sh1t and pathetic, cosmetics / color is fugged in less than a month's time if u are a person who use the phone w/o cover, it DOESNT have Gorilla Glass, Crappy Developer Support.

EDIT:

Okay, went through a few posts in the thread and most ppl are suggesting SGR, i'd still not recommend it, if you are okay with 3.7" Screen i'd suggest HTC Desire S for 20,500/- instead coz of following reasons:

1) It's HTC, so awesome developing roms

2) There are roms already with ICS for it

3) good specs...

Or you can try a Sony Ericcson Xperia Arc S for 17,700-18,000/- w/o bill and warranty, also this phone is AWESOME, 4.2" Screen, Bravia engine, front and back cam, Awesome DEVELOPING community, Already ROMS based on ICS are out, Only minus point on this phone is, internal storage is just 320mb (its ok for a person like me who use A2SD), but then depends on you.

^ What crap are you suggesting ? LOL

Incredible S or Xperia Arc S ? Are you kidding me ?

At least check the phone before you suggest.

SGR doesn't have a community support. True. But community support is growing as the users are increasing.

Build quality of SGR is poor ? go wash your face and have a good hold on it.

Internal storage is 320 MB and you are saying its ok ?

With HTC you will be running for a charger every time

So most of you are suggeasting Galaxy R instead of O2X. Okay, I will try to find a display piece of Galaxy R in shops like Reliance digital and check myself. One of my friends had bought O2X. I couldnt meet him since 6 months. Yesterday I checked his phone, It looks cool and feels sturdy. There wasn't any noticeable lag too. Camera sample were okay. There was highlight clipping and dynamic range was not that great. He told that his cell had battery heating and quick draining problems with FroYo, but after Gingerbread update those problems have subsided. There seems to be some problem with RAM management.

One more thing, is there a possibility of Galaxy R's price settling down a bit more?
<

Don't think SGR price will fall any further.

The best deal you can get is at sulekha for 19k.

But i would suggest you to get it from ebay/FK/LSB.

Kind of. Not for every deal. But few people had trouble and they took couple of weeks to deliver .

Check if sulekha has COD available.

Oh, Okay.. Will see that.. What is the user awailable memory in SGR? Not RAM, internal storage.

And one more thing, Huawei have released a new cell phone called Honor (Not awailable in India yet). GSMArena has told that its quite good.

http://www.gsmarena.com/huawei_u8860_honor-4197.php

It has bigger screen that I require (quality is not that good) and processor too seems okay (1.4GHz, Single core). So would it be better to buy that if they release it for around 15-16k? But I dont know if and when it will be released in India.

Stick to brands with good customer support and service presence in your locality. It is very essential. and do ignore b00gieman's suggestion. Highly biased. SGR comes with 8gig storage I think.

Oh, Okay.. Will see that.. What is the user awailable memory in SGR? Not RAM, internal storage.

And one more thing, Huawei have released a new cell phone called Honor (Not awailable in India yet). GSMArena has told that its quite good.

http://www.gsmarena...._honor-4197.php

It has bigger screen that I require (quality is not that good) and processor too seems okay (1.4GHz, Single core). So would it be better to buy that if they release it for around 15-16k? But I dont know if and when it will be released in India.

http://www.gsmarena...._honor-4197.php

User available space- 3.75 GB

User available RAM - 724 MB

ROM - 2 GB

I did see the phone on Cell Guru and the screen was big.

Can not comment about the phone much.

While the debate still rages on, gsmarena has put up a comparision.

Ya.. Have Checked it.. They have left the conclusion to users..
<

Now Optimus 2X is permanently discontinued (according to flipkart) and everybody is telling that Galaxy R too is silently discontinued by Samsung. This means there wont be vast no. of SGR users and mods and developers might not show much interest in it.
<
I think I will wait for sometime and see.

where is galaxy R available ?

Where are you from? If you are from Bangalore, Check this

http://www.koovs.com/deals/deal/Samsung-Galaxy-R-I9103-Mobiles-And-Accessories-Specifications-Reviews-Price-In-India-Koovs

I had bought galaxy fit and Casio Edifice Watch from them. They delivered me promptly. But some others have told that it is not reliable. They are Bangalore Based. So you can directly go to their office if you or any of your friends stay in Bangalore.

Everywhere else it is out of stock or highly priced.

Where are you from? If you are from Bangalore, Check this

http://www.koovs.com...-In-India-Koovs

I had bought galaxy fit and Casio Edifice Watch from them. They delivered me promptly. But some others have told that it is not reliable. They are Bangalore Based. So you can directly go to their office if you or any of your friends stay in Bangalore.

Everywhere else it is out of stock or highly priced.

Thanks am from mumbai . First I was considering this and it was available all around and now when I had thought its the best feature / money deal , its gone .

The dealers told me Samsung has stopped production so only those who have stocks are selling it .

I dont know what made Samsung take the step , was selling like cakes - the dealers told me .

May be they feel they it might eat up the sales of the new Android 4.0 phone sales or something .

Now If newer androids are close to launch , hope the current ones prices some down .

Will go for Galaxy S 2
<
, amoled is awesome , yeah am dreaming
<
because S2 can upgrade to ICS

Yeah am dreaming
<

You Definitely are..
<

GS2 prices wont comedown anytime soon..
<
They haven't even announced GS3 yet.. Anyways if you are in no hurry and can wait and ready to increase your budget, Definitely go for GS2. Or they may release Galaxy S Advance too. Keep an eye on that.

And I dont know if it applies to your area, But in many parts of Maharashtra, you will be charged Octroi charges. You will have to pay the couriers extra.

Back