Galaxy S2 or some other phone ?

nitmeh3

Disciple
Nov 12, 2009
I am getting a Brand Spanking New SGS2 for 18.5K (after exchange with a Samsung Wave S8500 for 8.5k). Hows the deal ?

Please tell me the CONS of the SGS2 asap as i am going to get the beast tomorrow morning ! Super duper excited :rofl::rofl::rofl: :clap:. Earlier i had narrowed down to Motorola Photon (20-21K ) without warranty. But somehow Dad agreed for the phone i told him about the exchange thing :D

So SGS2 is THE BEST phone in the international market AT THE MOMENT right ? And I feel Galaxy Nexus is too big and Droid Razr again without warranty doesn't sound too good and safe. Right? HTC Sensation i believe is not better than SGS2

avi

Skilled
Nov 23, 2010
@OP - Go with SGS II. It can last for 2 years easily. The screen is really nice for Web experience. I suggest you buy locally & check screen issues in shop itself. I bought one for my friend & the screen issue totally negligible [on some phones it is high]. Playing Stupid Zombies.

quixand said:
Display maximum brightness, no power saving, GPRS is Always ON, Push service on, automatic market updates on, approx an hour of surfing, atleast 1 hr of calling - lasts me approx 15 hrs. i.e. lesser than the Wave but then no point comparing the 2 because you'll be able to do tons of stuff on the SGS2
You are very lucky it seems. Done same tests & it lasted 7-8 hours. i.e. from my college start to evening. And the phone was not rooted.

quixand said:
Not to get disheartened. You can make it last more than 1 day (just about) by using it conservatively, power saving it etc..
+1. In my test it lasted more than day[i.e. 24 hrs]. Kept screen brightness lowest to 20-30%, No push, Mail only when needed. Rest everything turned off. So it depends on how you use it. But gaming drains it too fast.

Compiler

Adept
Feb 4, 2010
Just visited e-zone to get the real experience of this beast but disappointed by the look .
The same look is maintained as galaxy S.

little suspicious over dual core .it is really worth spending 10k for getting one core extra?

quixand

Skilled
Mar 9, 2011
If looks really matter to you and you don't find SGS2 visually stunning when it's on (because that is when it looks best :) ) then there's no point in sinking that kind of money in it. You'll look at it everyday and kick yourself for not getting something else.

Buy what you like.

As far as performance is concerned it is THE android phone to get at the moment. I was using my friend's Nexus S some days back. My first impressions - UI wasn't as good as SGS2 but I did like that it was zippy, very very zippy. Running on 2.3.5 I think, don't quote me on that.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

avi said:
@OP - Go with SGS II. It can last for 2 years easily. The screen is really nice for Web experience. I suggest you buy locally & check screen issues in shop itself. I bought one for my friend & the screen issue totally negligible [on some phones it is high]. Playing Stupid Zombies.

You are very lucky it seems. Done same tests & it lasted 7-8 hours. i.e. from my college start to evening. And the phone was not rooted.

+1. In my test it lasted more than day[i.e. 24 hrs]. Kept screen brightness lowest to 20-30%, No push, Mail only when needed. Rest everything turned off. So it depends on how you use it. But gaming drains it too fast.

You know that is an interesting point. Do you charge your phone overnight? I mean for more than 2-3 hours, maybe it's my figment of imagination but I somehow feel that is why it lasts longer (because of duration of charge). I know it sounds stupid.

BTW 15 hours is an optimistic, higher end number. It generally is between 10-15 Hours.

Charged my phone overnight, went for an outing at 9 o'clock in the morning, took loads of pictures, videos. Max Brightness, push etc etc always on. It's 9:30 PM right now I have 1/3rd battery still left. A number of calls were made but only for short duration.

quixand

Skilled
Mar 9, 2011
Congrats! Hook it up via Kies and check if there is any pending firmware update. Update if possible but only after charging it!! I put my new phones on straight 8-10 hour charge after buying.

And look around the forums you should find more info on Battery saving tricks.

techno_guy

Skilled
Jul 2, 2010
nitmeh3 said:
Got the SGS2 :D Loving it , 2:15 hours of usage and the battery is 5% already !!

Please give Battery Charging tips for best life and good calibration ?

Install juice defender

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

rite said:
1. No phone will last you 3 years. For that buy a regular Nokia or Sony Ericson, not Android. The only real phone which lasts >2 years is the iPhone because of its regular updates.

2. The battery life of the Galaxy S2 is one of the best if not the best ever for any android phone in history. With heavy usage, half to three fourth a day is supposed to be awesome for such phones. Rest assured, it is definitely much better than what my Nokia 5800 or X6 ever gave me.

3. The cons are neglible compared to the pros.

4. But if you really want to last >2 years, I would suggest Iphone 4 because it would be updated regularly. Android phones are meant to last at most 9-18 months max. And since you are already late and the cycles are shifting, don't eye more than 6-9 months life from it.
Android is at par with IOS in os update section
every year a new android version comes and i am sure the next 2-3 versions will be compatible to SII
and a fat as iphone is considered apple does not give latest updates to older model , like what happened to Siri

nitmeh3

Disciple
Nov 12, 2009
Guys the while i was using the front cam the whole screen became green and i quickly pressed the back button and it was back to normal again. The screen seems to be over saturated and the pics taken appear better on a pc than my phone. Is that a cause to worry about? What to do?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk