Game suggestions for a Casual gamer (I)

superczar

Skilled
Most of the regulars here would perhaps know that unlike most of the other forum members, I am not much of a gamer...rather more of a casual gamer who is happy with an ocasional frag fest on UT 2K4 or a racing spree on Burnout (or NFS-MW of late)

Here is my game completion timeline so far:

River Raid: 1988- Atari
Super Mario Bros: 1991- NES
Super Mario Bros 2: 1994: NES

----Long gap-----

007- Everything or Nothing: 2004: PS2
Super Mario Bros 3: 2005 : Symbian phone emulator

So till 2006, there was not a single PC game I had completed...Usually due to the fact that I have a short attention span, and tend to get bored after while, and leave the game midway ....Additionally, FPS games tend to give me a headache within 30-40 mins or so :( :ashamed:

However, I was recently suggested Dreamfall-TLJ by a colleague, and I was totally blown away...So much so that Dreamfall is the first game on a PC I have completed....

Additona to time line
Dreamfall, the longest journey: 2006: PC:hap2:

But now that it is complete, what next? :(
I am currently playing the original 1999 release, The Longest Journey, which though an excellent game has kind of lost part of its appeal, because of the kinda funny looking GFX, and the fact that having completed the sequel first is proving to be a spoiler

Now that I have finished my story, I hope the seasoned gamers around whould have got a basic idea of what I am looking for.....Please pour in your suggestion as to what PC game should I try out next :)

Hmmm... Lets start with HL and HL2 then... then comes HL EP1 and by the time you will be done with those you will have HL2 EP2 to finish... And with a GF 6800 and a Athlon 64 3200... you will not have any problem finishing those... And if by any chance you complete all of those(Which i think is askin too much) you will have CSS and TF2 and not to forget portals to tinker with :D...

Also why not try the POP series. But in order

POP SOT

POP WW

POP TTT

Switch said:
Also why not try the POP series. But in order

POP SOT
POP WW
POP TTT

yes try this out, i can give it ya if u dont have it already:D

Even FEAR is good, try Prey, its interesting too.

HL2...Tried (Runs fine on the Yonah/Go7400 too :) ) felt amazing, but gave up after the damn headaches started

POP- SOT, i tried on the PS2, played it till the point where the Prince finds the Princess, but gave up after it as it felt kinda boring with all the acrobatics involved, and looking/finding the correct paths :(

FEAR, went to the point where the spectre child makes its first appearance, but the damn headaches :mad:

Havent tried PREY as yet

(FPS and headaches, Is it only I or other have this problem too? )

Any good adventure games guys??

FEAR and Prey will give him headache... I am pretty sure of that... Also if he hasnt played a lot of FPS since past 5 years FEAR will be toooo much for him :p... No Offence czar but fear is kindda tough :p...

POP series is good. Specially the storyline and the puzzles. Same with HL series. Waise skip the Hl1 and straight away start from HL2. Saiyan will tell you the first parts story :D

Edit: Bahh... Saw your post later... Hmmm.... Try Civ 4... Its good... Try NFS PU great game again... Homeworld...

No Offence czar but fear is kindda tough ...

hee hee, no offence taken...I know my gaming skills are almost non-existent :p

NFS PU...hmmm hmmm...Am playing NFS MW on-and-off of late and am currently challenging Blacklist #13 :ashamed:

Is PU the next iteration of the NFS Series, (post MW)?

Civ IV is a strategy game and I suppose would be too slow...

On a side-note, have you guys ever expereinced headaches/giddiness while playing FPSs?

I have absolutely no other giddiness/vertigo/motion sickness problem in real life, and I wonder why FPS games induce these terrible headaches in me...

Happenes with me with dark games... Cant play more then 30 mins or so... I do this... pay for 30 mins take a break... You can smoke in between then continue... Also try not to play with lights closed in the room...

Nothing like that for me, i used to play with all the lights off except the lights from the SLB:p.

I Enjoy to play in dark, expl. games like Doom 3 and FEAR.

btw, i play mostly in night for 2 hrs at a strech, except for the Alt+Tab which i do when some peeps buzz me in IM.

You can try Still Life, its story is also quite interesting (except the ending maybe)

Checking out the reviews on Still life...A 70% + rating on rottentomatoes for an adventure game is actually quite good....Thanks man!

Happenes with me with dark games... Cant play more then 30 mins or so...

Beetch, Know what, I played far cry till I reched the Cave in level 4....I could play it uptil there, as it is set out in an open area, and I got absolutely no headaches till then , except for some minor issue on the carrier...

But the closed environs + the darkness in that level made me give up :(

Or was it that indoor levels got too much for you...

On a serious note... Should have continued with the game... Thats one hell of a game...

looks like you have a problem with realistic 3D Animation ?

lol check out Neighbours from the hell game :p :D

arre Czar , PU - Porsche Unleashed :p not next version ( next version is Carbon ) . you'll enjoy this game for sure :)

So till 2006, there was not a single PC game I had completed...Usually due to the fact that I have a short attention span, and tend to get bored after while, and leave the game midway ....Additionally, FPS games tend to give me a headache within 30-40 mins or so

i havent completed a single game in 2006 as well :rofl: i think i completed one championship in CMR04...but thats not the whole game...and i have these weird headaches as well...usually because of the lighting and high res textures used in FPS games...happened with NFSMW as well... i guess we need to see a gaming doctor :ashamed:

i would recommend indigo prohecy aka farenheit. nice game and really good soundtrack,
if u're fan of sports games try any ea game. it takes about a week to find gltiches in the ai at default game difficulty game and about a few months i pwn u action. by this time another ea title would be out. :p

Play NFS PU.....it is a 6 yr old game and gameplay wise, it still beats the crap out of NFS MW.

And it doesnt feel funny to play a 6 yr old game..... the graphics are of a very good quality. Even after playing NFS MW, Porsche doesnt feel like an ancient game.....

It is simply the best ever NFS made..... :D :D

sually because of the lighting and high res textures used in FPS games...happened with NFSMW as well... i guess we need to see a gaming doctor

heee hee, actually for me, it happens only with closed environs in FPS games...no issues with racing games like NFS MW

looks like you have a problem with realistic 3D Animation

Nahi re, I am happy with all 3rd person games, its the blasted FPSs that screw my head up

Hmm nobody mentioned Max Payne 1 and 2 ??

Oh and Mafia... another must play...

And is Porsche Unleashed really the best in the series?? I personally like Hot Pursuit 2 a lot, but haven't played PU...

superczar said:
On a side-note, have you guys ever expereinced headaches/giddiness while playing FPSs?
I have absolutely no other giddiness/vertigo/motion sickness problem in real life, and I wonder why FPS games induce these terrible headaches in me...
Thats excatly what happens to me when i play FPS games for more than an hour. Dark backgorunds give me headaches and thats why i still play more of far cry than FEAR.

Whoa, superczar is one of the very ppl around here who actually remembers river-raid (atari), if only i could get my hands on that game now (rom/emulator), the pc version of that game sucks.

and yeah, u can try Farenhiet/Indigo prophecy, one of the most innovative games i've played yet, with mutiple endings and mutiple storylines. very cool.

Back