Budget 41-50k Gaming CPU for 50- 60k

For intense gaming which Processor you would choose?

• Total voters
Hello,

Thank you for the inputs. Here is what I plan to take...

Procy - i5 -4690 or I e3??
Motherboard- Please suggest vfm z97 board
Ram- 8 gb (ripjaw) - will upgrade to 16 in future.
GPU- zotac geforce gtx 970 (26.5k ~ 5 years warranty) - [or should I choose Asus strix for 27k?]
PSU- seasonic 620
Cabinet- Corsair Carbide 400R (??)
SSD- intel 60gb -2.5k
HDD- 1TB WD blue.
Keyboard and Mouse - please suggest.

Thank you.
If you are not going for the 4690k then Z97 is useless so getting H97 based Gigabyte GA-H97-D3H ATX 8.5k
Zotac GTX 970 is very good but Gigabyte G1 GTX 970 is even better
Ya Carbide 400R is really a Good case you can stick to that
Cooler Master Devastator Keyboard + Mouse Bundle 2.4k
Rest of the configuration seems fine
When are you planning to buy ?
Regards
JJ

Both your CPU and GPU choices are good. 970 is just the sweet spot at the upper mid range category.

Regarding motherboard, as JJ mentioned, unless you are going with a K series CPU and intend to overclock, there is not much point in going with the Z97 boards. Go with the H97 instead and save some bucks.

Regarding SSD, I would suggest going with a bigger SSD if you can. 60GB is a bit too small. You might not want to install games, but installing other regularly used apps like office suites on the SSD is not a bad proposition and having a bit more room should help.

Both your CPU and GPU choices are good. 970 is just the sweet spot at the upper mid range category.

Regarding motherboard, as JJ mentioned, unless you are going with a K series CPU and intend to overclock, there is not much point in going with the Z97 boards. Go with the H97 instead and save some bucks.

Regarding SSD, I would suggest going with a bigger SSD if you can. 60GB is a bit too small. You might not want to install games, but installing other regularly used apps like office suites on the SSD is not a bad proposition and having a bit more room should help.

thank you LN, I am planning to take Kingston 120 GB SSD for 3.6k.

JJ's suggestion is good and I guess I will settle for B85 mobo. IS that fine LN?

^^ Personally, I would recommend going for a H87/97 board. If you are going to be using the rig for a decent period of time, it makes sense to have some upgrade potential for the future like adding more hard drives etc. B85 is very limited in terms of upgrade capabilities. You should decide based on your current costs and future plans for the rig.

Also regarding GPU, if you want to go for the Gigabyte G1 (which no doubt has the best custom cooling), make sure you have a cabinet that can fit the card. I have Gigabyte G1 GTX 980 myself and its a massive card that is over a foot long. Its about 3~3.5 inches longer than a card with a dual fan cooler design like the MSI twin forzr. I have a HTPX cabinet in which I had a fan mod in the GPU area earlier and I had to remove the whole thing to fit this card.

^^ Personally, I would recommend going for a H87/97 board. If you are going to be using the rig for a decent period of time, it makes sense to have some upgrade potential for the future like adding more hard drives etc. B85 is very limited in terms of upgrade capabilities. You should decide based on your current costs and future plans for the rig.

Also regarding GPU, if you want to go for the Gigabyte G1 (which no doubt has the best custom cooling), make sure you have a cabinet that can fit the card. I have Gigabyte G1 GTX 980 myself and its a massive card that is over a foot long. Its about 3~3.5 inches longer than a card with a dual fan cooler design like the MSI twin forzr. I have a HTPX cabinet in which I had a fan mod in the GPU area earlier and I had to remove the whole thing to fit this card.

Ah LN, thank you very much for being informative. I appreciate it. I already have NZXT Phantom 410. Also, can you name some VFM H87/97 mobos in best of your opinion?

What do you think about Zotac's extended warranty? I am planning to buy the Zotac 970.

Further, I would love to learn about your fan modding. If you have any link about your modding can you please share about it?

Many thanks.

Unfortunately, I don't have any insight to give about the motherboard options available in the local market as I am not in touch with that segment at all. Maybe somebody else can make some suggestions.

Regarding GPU also, I have no experience with Zotac cards although they are supposed to be good. I suggest looking up the Newegg and Amazon.com user reviews for the specific model you want to go with and decide based on that. Having a longer warranty period is good, but then I also don't have a lot of faith in the after sales support in India which is why I have tried to save costs by importing GPU's from US whenever I can than buy with warranty in India. So I guess somebody else has to fill you in on how good Zotac is with their warranty process.

As for the fan mod, its nothing great. Before I upgraded to GTX980, I used to have a couple of MSI 6950 TwinFrozr cards in Crossfire. In order to increase airflow, I setup a powerful delta 120mm x 30mm fan to blow air on to the cards. This ensured that any hot air build up between the cards is gotten rid of

HI All,

Thank you every one!! I just bought the system and assembled by myself looking at posts here!!

Thank you so much.

here is what I have bought

1. I5-4440
2. MSI B85M -g43
3. Transdent 128gb SDD
4. WD Blue 1 TB
5. Corsair Vengence 8 GB Ram
6. Seasonic 620w PSU
7. Cooler Master Devastator combo keyboard and mouse.

Only thing that is left is GPU. Guys, I will be only playing at 1080p, can you please suggest the latest and economical GPU which may sustain for 3 years at least?

Warm Regards

the 960 is NOT going to last you for 3 years. bus is too gimped and newer titles will force you to drop settings or the res.
You're better off waiting for the ti version.

No, the 270x is already and end-of-life gpu - it's a rebadged 7870 ghz edition which came out 3 years ago. New launches are scheduled in june. What's your budget for the gpu? Also, any preference for nvidia or amd?

You specifically stated "Intense gaming" and right now a gtx 970 or a r9 280x would be the way to go BUT the 970 has an unfixed problem with its memory and the 280x is also end-of-life and quite power hungry.

Not a good time for a gpu purchase so i recommend waiting 2 months more.

No, the 270x is already and end-of-life gpu - it's a rebadged 7870 ghz edition which came out 3 years ago. New launches are scheduled in june. What's your budget for the gpu? Also, any preference for nvidia or amd?

You specifically stated "Intense gaming" and right now a gtx 970 or a r9 280x would be the way to go BUT the 970 has an unfixed problem with its memory and the 280x is also end-of-life and quite power hungry.

Not a good time for a gpu purchase so i recommend waiting 2 months more.

Think worthy!. Well my budget is max 15k. Intense gaming means, I have very little time to spend on gaming, but when I play I want to play the games in intense. Do let me know what do you think?

Many thanks for replying.

Intense gaming means, I have very little time to spend on gaming, but when I play I want to play the games in intense.
Yeah, that's what i do too - 80% usage is just movies and tv shows but when i do get on some crysis or cod i want it at max res, max details, max texture, max aa, max af, MAX EVERYTHING!!! So i got a used 280x toxic last year.

At 15k the choices (960 or 270x) are not looking good for the long term. either get a better card second-hand (make sure it's still in warranty) or wait till june for a 370x or the 960ti.

Hey, that's just I am hoping. But Sunil was confident about 960. So I thought I will try. True again, at the moment I have a ps3. So I guess I will try suffice it.

Back