Budget 41-50k Gaming CPU for 50- 60k

For intense gaming which Processor you would choose?

• Total voters
Even with it's new algorithms it's total memory bandwidth is less than the 760 it replaces. It performs on par with a 280(non-x) and the older gtx 670 (the OC'ed models are similar to a 280x).
The reason i'm so iffy about this card is that if you look at the benchmarks closely you will notice great performance UPTO 1080p but once the the res goes beyond (i.e. more pixels need to be pumped out) it's performance is dropping off quite sharply indicating that the memory bandwidth is bottle-necking it. This leads me to believe that for a year and ahalf you can max everything out but for games releasing after that you will have to take it down a notch. In fact i can guarantee you that this will be a problem with skyrim's successor AND only 2gb memory which today is like the minimum.
Also, nvidia in the past have resorted to using software hacks (or whatever the correct term is) to improve their benchmark results and something tells me that might be the case with the 960 - i.e. be brilliant for nvidia supported titles but pretty weak for anything that doesn't have driver support.

A used gtx 970, 280x or 290x would be my suggestion if you don't want to wait.

On another note - here's a reason why these cards cost more than a new ps3. the image itself it pretty crappy but you get the idea :)

Attachments

• maxresdefault1.jpg
    maxresdefault1.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 141
will

will 270x run for next 2-3 years?? for all games at 1080p?

thanks

I have suggested this model considering your budget... Buy either this or the gtx 960... The gtx 960 has a 128-bit bus... whereas the r9 270x is having 256-bit bus...
but performance wise gtx960 will be around 15% faster since it uses a new architecture...
I would get the gtx960, play on it for 1-2 years, then sell it off and get the next mid range card at that time...
I'm myself using an gtx 660 as of now... and it struggles in COD:AW @1080p...

Else another option would be to get an "in warranty" used card from the forum in the lines of gtx680/gtx 770/r9 280..

Even with it's new algorithms it's total memory bandwidth is less than the 760 it replaces. It performs on par with a 280(non-x) and the older gtx 670 (the OC'ed models are similar to a 280x).
The reason i'm so iffy about this card is that if you look at the benchmarks closely you will notice great performance UPTO 1080p but once the the res goes beyond (i.e. more pixels need to be pumped out) it's performance is dropping off quite sharply indicating that the memory bandwidth is bottle-necking it. This leads me to believe that for a year and ahalf you can max everything out but for games releasing after that you will have to take it down a notch. In fact i can guarantee you that this will be a problem with skyrim's successor AND only 2gb memory which today is like the minimum.
Also, nvidia in the past have resorted to using software hacks (or whatever the correct term is) to improve their benchmark results and something tells me that might be the case with the 960 - i.e. be brilliant for nvidia supported titles but pretty weak for anything that doesn't have driver support.

A used gtx 970, 280x or 290x would be my suggestion if you don't want to wait.

On another note - here's a reason why these cards cost more than a new ps3. the image itself it pretty crappy but you get the idea :)

Thanks man, thats is very explanative. Then I shall look for a second hand 970. I am worried about heating issues about ATI cards. Is it that bad? like, I cant find anyone without getting hurt on taking sides with green and red teams.

I have suggested this model considering your budget... Buy either this or the gtx 960... The gtx 960 has a 128-bit bus... whereas the r9 270x is having 256-bit bus...
but performance wise gtx960 will be around 15% faster since it uses a new architecture...
I would get the gtx960, play on it for 1-2 years, then sell it off and get the next mid range card at that time...
I'm myself using an gtx 660 as of now... and it struggles in COD:AW @1080p...

Else another option would be to get an "in warranty" used card from the forum in the lines of gtx680/gtx 770/r9 280..
True, I am now in a bot of hold state. Hmmm, I guess I will try looking at decent second hand cards within the warranty.

Then I shall look for a second hand 970. I am worried about heating issues about ATI cards. Is it that bad? like, I cant find anyone without getting hurt on taking sides with green and red teams.
The 970 is an excellent card even though it has an issue with memory since it's a rare case problem.
I think heating issue in amd was for reference cooler based boards - my 280x is a sapphire and it hasn't crossed 72 degrees.
other board partners also give good coolers so needn't worry about either red or green teams :D
It's just a question of if you want to wait for the next line-up or not.

Back