Geohot asks for donations, sets up a new blog!

But the irony here is that he expects the same people to financially help him who can't afford to buy a game and resort to piracy.
:p:tongue::eek:ppo:

Party Monger said:
So? Sony was too lazy to maintain drivers. Is that a reason good enough to remove an advertised feature?

And Sony didn't removed OtherOS in slim.. it wasn't a advertised feature, they were telling that it will not support OtherOS, from the very first day. They were feeling that the option was expensive.. considering how many members were actually using it.

Party Monger said:
Exactly what the guy has been saying all along. He hasnt taken the ps3 for the games. He wanted to use the hardware. Jailbreak it, and be able to run his own programs on it. He owns his ps3, he has every right to do so.

Whats the reason about what? Atleast be coherent in your reasoning?

The guy is correct in respect to any length of reasoning. you cant deny that.
Mate..mate.. chill. All I told was he was the reason sony removed otherOS with a firmware update. I'm not judging Neither sony nor GH.

He is not actually asking for donations for the Sony jailbreak which he did. He is asking for donations for the iPhone work which he did in the last few years.

IIRC the PS3 jailbreak initially happened because somebody at Sony leaked the software that could make any PS3 into a debug PS3. This guy then used that software to extract the master encryption key. Please correct me if i'm wrong...

Modifying proprietary software and distributing it is not legal...

Party Monger said:
LOL Do you even read what you type? What are you even arguing over here mate? This is what jail breaking is. Can u read it up? Its done to enable support for homebrew software! They dont do it just for fun!

Stop acting like a freaking kid and just try and go against the flow to get some attention! Your posts dont make sense.

Dude, I know what jailbreaking is, for the matter of fact if he is doing it on his own hardware and personal use, he shudn't have leaked the keys online to everyone to copy it. He is a reputed person in all wrong acts, and yeah, I can say that, coz he is acting like a kid, right now, by posting Rap Videos n Donation links!

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

m-jeri said:
He is a well know hacker/jail breaker of consumer electronic devices. His very own blogs/sites/threads in various forums gets like a gazillion hits.
70% of Apple/sony device owners know abt him/his work. Even TE is one of the many forums in indian scene got few threads with HIM as focus points.
He sets up a piggy bank and people want to help him out. He does everything for free.

So again according to u, he is not a reputed person?

Agreed to all of your points! but you still think he hacked PS3 only to let the Homebrew scene grow? Can u list me, a single homebrew app, which is meant to help the Homebrew community? All you could see is Ping Pong styled games and all emulators & backup software. Where is the utilization for homebrew in this except for pirating games?

Dude, I know what jailbreaking is, for the matter of fact if he is doing it on his own hardware and personal use, he shudn't have leaked the keys online to everyone to copy it.

Agreed.

There is little doubt that what he has done has opened ps3 to piracy. Even if one buys the otheros argument, you are free to address that issue legally. If you believe you have been wronged and have a good case, go to court and fight it and win the case (this, for the advertised feature being removed part)

Other than that, what is this stateemnt?

” if you want your next console to be secure, get in touch with me. any of you 3. it’d be fun to be on the other side.”

So lets understand. The guy is basically saying, i am a smart kid. I will continue to cause you loses in future (In his televised appearance, he even ended with (a bit jocularly) "when is next ps coming out" to hack). And then he makes the above statement." All the principles i now talk about (open up your console, console and what you do with it being your choice etc) can go for a six if am employed by you. I will look at this as blackmail and no corporate house would want to employ a person of that sort.

Whether one agrees with jailbreaking or not is another issue, but think clearly whether you are right in supporting this person.

Safin said:
So lets understand. The guy is basically saying, i am a smart kid. I will continue to cause you loses in future (In his televised appearance, he even ended with (a bit jocularly) "when is next ps coming out" to hack). And then he makes the above statement." All the principles i now talk about (open up your console, console and what you do with it being your choice etc) can go for a six if am employed by you. I will look at this as blackmail and no corporate house would want to employ a person of that sort.

Whether one agrees with jailbreaking or not is another issue, but think clearly whether you are right in supporting this person.

I second your opinion. He thinks he is smarter than all the people who secured the system.But it is an algorithm.. and can always be broken by another human being (stated by Geohot himself "nothing is un hackable") no matter how secure it is. Thats why it is called a piece of program. If he joins any of the companies and start helping them to be more secure... a new Geocool will emerge and will break the security.

Geohot said:
I will be the first person in line on the launch date of the Xperia Play, and itching to get my hands on the Next GEOHOT Project.
This quote shows, how he wont leave hacking/jailbreaking, he should stick to phones. I suppose he is asking donation to sponsor his new phone :p

Geohot said:
I have already racked up over 10k in legal bills; donate whatever you feel like.
He wants you people to pour in money so that he can win the case. I suppose his parents would've abandoned him by now coz he is blowing off load of money for his charity work of jailbreaking.

Geohot said:
Frankly I'm amazed by the apparent ease with which these cheats were created, security 101, why is the security in the client anyway? I had no idea this would happen, and am in full support of the cheaters being permabanned from PSN.
Yea Right! He didn't had any idea, that this would happen. Its like saying...I am boiling egg only to play with it, n somebody ate it. oops, I didn't expected that.

Geohot said:
I want the settlement terms to include OtherOS on all PS3s and an apology on the PlayStation blog for ever removing it. It'd be good PR for Sony too
Correct! Sony wont settle for anything now. I guess Safin clearly explained why they wont hire him or agree to his conditions.

Geohot said:
I'm also willing to accept a trade, a legit path to homebrew for knowledge of how to stop new firmwares from being decrypted.
If only he followed what DarkAlex did with PSP scenario. DA did hacked PSP, but no1 knew, who he was or where did he stayed. Probably he is currently working in SONY, right now.

Geohot is acting like an immature kid who is looking for attention, and he has got it, but only with lots a trouble. God Bless Him in this case, as I can see, its not gonna be over for looooong time to come :)

1. THe guy's method's are wrong

2. SONY is also wrong so please dont try to crucify Geahot w/o taking a shot at SONY.

I'm really serious, the fire was STARTED BY SONY, and so the result/consequences have followed.

Well Sony is doing that to shift the case to San Fransico area rather then to pursue the peeps who downloaded the code.

vamsi_krishna said:
Judge gives permission to Sony, to acquire the IP addresses of all the people who visisted Geohot website from January 09. That Includes Me, as well. :(

Judge Lets Sony Unmask Visitors to PS3-Jailbreaking Site | Threat Level | Wired.com
It doesn't include me... ;)

But in any case, Sony cannot ask for the prosecution of the n number of visitors that the site may have garnered since 2009.

And even if they do (which is impossible), like Aman27deep said, nothing is ever gonna happen to you!! :p

Aman27deep said:
lol. It was me too. But they can't do sh1t in India, don't worry about it :p
LOL seriously that's the last thing mamus would be doing in our country considering the pile of other cases racked up.

they'll sue you for donating 1$?

I shower my Pity to SONy now, and their poor poor minds. May god give them peace(and a little thinking ability)

Back