Geohot asks for donations, sets up a new blog!

^Seriously these guys should consider dropping this shit now and concentrate on helping Japan from the catastrophe. :|

Why should they drop the lawsuit when it is obviously working...I remember reading about someone who has hacked 3.60 but is unwilling to share the method because he fears prosecution...

IMO American court looks biased to me... Giving every permission to sony whatever permission they are asking for...:mad: because of this some hackers are so petrified that they are not even thinking to release a hack tool for 3.60 firmware which is also hackable... Sony shud understand that in this world there are so many talented and knowledgable ppl that keeping their firmware safe is impossible for them... :)

comp@ddict said:
they'll sue you for donating 1$?

I shower my Pity to SONy now, and their poor poor minds. May god give them peace(and a little thinking ability)
Chill. No one who visited the website is getting sued.. neither the donors. So, stop beating the bush.

In the past Law has allowed to jailbreak a iPhone as it is owned by the customer. So they will have to allow this also. Law just works like that. Its juts takes some time.

Switch said:
In the past Law has allowed to jailbreak a iPhone as it is owned by the customer. So they will have to allow this also. Law just works like that. Its juts takes some time.
Jailbreaking is just a word. In case of iPhone it allowed you to run other operator SIM cards thus preventing monopoly and rescuing the subscriber. In case of PS3 it is completely opposite. This time it is the companies which need rescuing from piracy.

^Nailed it. Gone are those days when we used to pre-order the games from IVG/Intencity and impatiently waited for the courier guy to turn up at the doorstep with the consignment. I think I'd rather refrain from commenting any further. :ashamed:

Gannu said:
Gone are those days when we used to pre-order the games from IVG/Intencity and impatiently waited for the courier guy to turn up at the doorstep with the consignment. :ashamed:

Err, waiting for my Crysis 2 LE PS3 to arrive (pre ordered through Rahul)
:gunsmile:

comp@ddict said:
c'mon that is bad, very bad

Well thats just a personal opinion :eek:hyeah:

Anyway, in a developing nation like India we all have to resort to theft due to poverty.
Being poor don't mean, you can't enjoy yourself, just do some thieving around.
Thats the mantra for us, Indians!
:jumpy:

After the judge demanded George Hotz gives in his devices and hard drives, the PlayStation 3 hacker ran away to South America to avoid handing his possessions in and now has put his case in extreme jeopardy. The hacker also lied about having a PlayStation Network account. GeoHot has finally been caught out.

An official document (found here) filed by Sony from the Sony Computer Entertainment America LLC v. Hotz case recently detailed Hot’z recent actions. It said:
Though the evidence establishing personal jurisdiction is already overwhelming, SCEA has little doubt that there is much more. However, over the last several weeks. Hotz has engaged in a campaign to thwart jurisdictional discovery at every turn –regardless of whether the Court has ordered such discovery or not. Most seriously, after Magistrate Judge Spero ordered an inspection of Hotz’s devices and ordered Hotz to appear at a deposition in California, SCEA learned that Hotz had deliberately removed integral components of his impounded hard drives prior to delivering them to a third party neutral and that Hotz is now in South America, an excuse for why he will not immediately provide the components of his hard drives as requested by the neutral. Hotz’s attempts to dodge this Court’s authority raise very serious questions.

The hacker also lied about not having a PSN account:
On January 12, 2011, Hotz submitted a declaration to the Court (Docket No. 19-1) in which he made unequivocal statements on a number of topics. However, when it came to discussing the PSN account, Hotz equivocated, stating: “To the best of my knowledge and belief, I do not have a PlayStation Network account.†Hotz also provided interrogatory responses that he has refused to verify, stating that he has not accessed the PSN. Bricker Decl. ¶4.Hotz identified four PS3 Systems in his possession. Bricker Decl., ¶4, Exh. C. He explained that he had purchased one of these consoles new in February 2010 and provided the serial number for that console. Id. SCEA used that serial number to determine that on February 25, 2010, Hotz purchased the PS3 System at a Gamestop store just miles from his home. Law Decl., ¶6; Bricker Decl., ¶6, Exh. E. SCEA’s records show that the same PS3 System was used on March 10, 2010 to create a PSN account under the user name “blickmanic.†Law Decl., ¶6, Exh. A. The IP address associated with the registration is located in Glen Rock, New Jersey, where Hotz lives.

Then, more evidence regarding his PSN account was discovered:
Hotz’s ownership of the “blickmanic†account is further supported by the fact that an Internet search of the user name “blickmanic†reveals a posting discussing the jailbreaking of cellular phones – Hotz’s original “claim to fame.†Bricker Decl., ¶7, Exh. F (“Just curious what people would pay for exclusive rights to this solution. [Motorola] Tracfone W175g unlocked and debranded. PM me.â€) As discussed above, to create his PSN account, Hotz was required to first agree to the terms of the PSN User Agreement and thus he is clearly subject to personal jurisdiction in California. It is well established that a valid and enforceable forum selection clause operates as consent to personal jurisdiction in a designated forum.

Sony continued that even without his PSN account breach evidence, they already have enough evidence against him:
Although Hotz’s PSN account registration clearly establishes jurisdiction, even without it, SCEA has shown the necessary minimum contacts between Hotz and California.

Source: VGHQ

IMO, SONY proved their point to potential hackers....what say?

Renegade said:
Jailbreaking is just a word. In case of iPhone it allowed you to run other operator SIM cards thus preventing monopoly and rescuing the subscriber. In case of PS3 it is completely opposite. This time it is the companies which need rescuing from piracy.
No Ren thats where you are wrong. Jailbreaking on one hand lets you run pirated games (Remember its both on iP4 as well as PS3) but on the other it also helps you to run your custom code. For iPhone its more about unlocking the phone or running andriod on Iphone while in PS3 its about running Linux or for that matter running any other custom code that you might have created.

So Jailbreaking is just not a word. Its lot more then that. And the reason which i have mentioned above is exactly the reason why it was allowed in the iPhone and would exactly be the reason why it would be allowed on the PS3.

Renegade said:
I am against piracy but I disagree with you on this. sony is the evil here. it has has taken this whole thing way too far. :mad:

Sony has become a High School Bully now, the judge needs to rule it against them, otherwise all companies are gonna do that in the Future.

xXx said:
^Every business house has to protect its Products. You would do the same thing, if it had happened to you. :|
Just curious but if that's the case, then why aren't they behind the guys who made the PSJB dongle? In fact weren't they the first guys to exploit the console to run the unofficial code which enabled the games to be run from the internal/external drives? Why Hotz alone is being charged here?

There are plenty of them who are still using the dongle you know!

EDIT: Is that because that was some sort of an anonymous group?

Back