Geohot asks for donations, sets up a new blog!

^not anonymous, but the only thing SONY could do in that case was to block the USB dongle, as it was external & using it doesn't leave any trace in ur PS3's OS. Sony couldn't pinpoint any of those, but its Hotz who himself bloated with the hack & posted it online. He himself is to be blamed for it, and please dont blame SONY, they are a business house, you can't expect anyone to sit down & ruin their business.

xXx said:
please dont blame SONY, they are a business house, you can't expect anyone to sit down & ruin their business.
Relax. I am sure a majority of us have played a part in hacking the consoles and being equally hypocritical in nature. :lol:

kestrel5915 said:
How so?

:fatigue:
5 simple reasons:
1) They removed the "Other OS" Option WITHOUT confirmation/prior information which had very legitimate uses in Education,Research etc.
2) you don't even own your PS3. You own a right to use the hardware, but Sony ultimately owns it...WTF?
3) Going to a extent of threating to sue every PS3 user who has hacked his box.Instead they should have limited themselves to voiding warranty like Apple does or banning from PSN, like Microsoft does for Xbox live.
4) Getting IP address of everyone who visited Geohot's blog
5) Without telling you, sony collects data about you and stores on their servers. later they exploit this user data for commercial gains. if you use ps3, then you have no privacy. PS3 is a biggest spyware.

So I say it again, sony is evil

Gannu said:
Relax. I am sure a majority of us have played a part in hacking the consoles and being equally hypocritical in nature. :lol:
M relaxed :bleh:

yes, everyone does it, nobody goes out shouting on top of their voice :p

comp@ddict said:
i seriously think you havn't either read any of the discussions, or u are joking.... or both

I've read everything but I can't agree with everything I read, now can I?
I was just asking Gaurish's opinion.

PS: I use a non-modded Xbox360 and a non-JB PS3.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Gaurish said:
So I say it again, sony is evil

Buddy, if someone wants to pinpoint a big business' bad policies, then that can be done with any business not only Sony.

m-jeri said:
What about softwares/movies/music/pics/ebooks?

All are also paid i hope. else no cookie for you also.
I don't know what goddamn cookie you're talking about but in case you failed to read or are day dreaming, I never said that I'm not a pirate.

I just said that I use non-modded consoles.

But that doesn't stop me from theft (aka piracy).

Do yourself a favour by reading my comments before pointing fingers.

kestrel5915 said:
I don't know what goddamn cookie you're talking about but in case you failed to read or are day dreaming, I never said that I'm not a pirate.

I just said that I use non-modded consoles.

But that doesn't stop me from theft (aka piracy).

Do yourself a favour by reading my comments before pointing fingers.
Modifying your own console is not moral. Stealing other Intellectual properties are ok?. Stop being a damn hypocrite.

Do others a favor and stop ur fingers from typing your posts. :|

m-jeri said:
Modifying your own console is not moral. Stealing other Intellectual properties are ok?. Stop being a damn hypocrite.

Do others a favor and stop ur fingers from typing your posts. :|

Buddy I guess you really need to read before posting.

I think you're mixing up my comments with someone else's

I never talked about anything being moral or immoral.

Modifying the console may or may not be moral.

Same for intellectual properties.

I don't care.

But the point here is that I never talked about morality.

I just said I use non-modded consoles and that is simply because I like to and nothing else.

Stop acting illiterate and read!

^^

You cant be on 2 boats. This topic is basically about IP's. You cant steal some and say others shouldn't steal. Either you in or out.

I guess you need to read the thread again as someone said. :).

m-jeri said:
^^

You cant be on 2 boats. This topic is basically about IP's. You cant steal some and say others shouldn't steal. Either you in or out.

When did I say others shouldn't steal?

Anyway, going by your previous records of fights and pointless posts, I guess I'll stop trying to make you understand.

kestrel5915 said:
When did I say others shouldn't steal?

Anyway, going by your previous records of fights and pointless posts, I guess I'll stop trying to make you understand.
When got nothing to say, they always take cheap shots. I can understand that. let it be then.

Geo's recent blog post...

Apparently, I have fled the country. ROFL”

Factually, it’s true I’m in South America, on a vacation I’ve had planned and paid for since November. I mean, it is Spring break; hacking isn’t my life. Rest assured that not a dime of legal defense money would ever go toward something like this. And of course Townsend loves the idea of painting me as an international fugitive. I have been in contact with my lawyers almost every day; I would not let the case suffer. That said, I also won’t let this ridiculous lawsuit run my life either. Then the fearmongerers win.

xXx said:
WoW....enjoying the holidays.....pretty nice moolah this guy has...still he begs from public to donate money :p
And I'm afraid it might just be the same money that people have donated :cool2:
(although his lawyer says otherwise :p)

Aman27deep said:
lol my 1$ goes to his south american holidays! but i don't care as i am enjoying the work that he did :p
Made so many people lives easier... especially of those people who are not spanky rich... :p

GeoHot now blames Google, Twitter...

Prior to distributing the Metldr Keys, Hotz had extensive contacts with Californiarelating to his efforts to hack the PS3 System. Specifically, Hotz used Google’s Blogspotservice based in California to generate interest in his circumvention of the PS3 System.Hotz touted his hacking exploits on his interactive “On the PlayStation 3” blog. BrickerDecl., ¶18, Exh. P. On that California-hosted blog, Hotz openly interacted with othersregarding his hacking of the PS3 System. Id.

Now, in an attempt to avoid jurisdiction, Hotz disingenuously argues that sinceGoogle maintains the site, Google is responsible for its interactivity and not Hotz. Yet it isHotz who chose to blog about his unlawful conduct and to have discussions with thirdparties regarding that same conduct over the Internet. 12Additionally, Hotz has usedother interactive tools based in this District, such as Twitter and YouTube, to report on hishacking of the PS3 System. Bricker Decl., ¶15, Exh. K; Docket No. 28, (Bricker Decl.,¶24, Exh. W). Hotz also utilized an account with PayPal, a California company, throughwhich SCEA believes that Hotz received financial benefit relating to his circumventionactivities. Bricker Decl., ¶23, Exh. U. 13Hotz has also given an interview regarding hishacking of the PS3 System to The Register, an online technology publication whose U.S.operation is based in San Francisco, California. Bricker Decl., ¶13, Exh. I. Thesecontacts together with the harm Hotz aimed at SCEA in California are easily sufficient toestablish personal jurisdiction.

Back