Graphic Cards Getting the best out of my 8600GT

clown_abhi

Skilled
Hey guys,

I am thinking of overclocking my XFX 8600GT. But i have a few questions to ask the tech gurus & some guidance as to how to do it before i jump on to it.

1. Will my warranty be void if i overclock. Or is it only burned chipset through overclocking can't avail of warranty.
2. What are the safe temperatures for the 8600GT?
3. I will be using the stock cooler so can anyone tell me a sweet balance of temperature and speed for the 8600GT.
4. I will be using the ATI Tool. Is it good or nTune is better. NTune has a fan speed increase. Should i use dat & how much should i increase it?
5. If i overclock my card, will it stay overclocked even when i do normal applications or will it overclock only when games are run?
6. Is it advisable to keep the card at the stock for games dat run well at stock settings and overclock only when required?

It would be nice if someone could give a link to a guide on overclocking the XFX 8600GT. I searched but i found a lot of guides pointing to extreme editions but could not find one for stock 8600GT.

Lots of guys have done overcloking on the XFX 8600GT as i saw on this forum and this newbie needs ur help. So, plz help.

Bye.:)

don't use ntune,many people seem to have issues with it.

try the rivatuner for overclocking and ati tool for stability tests.

you should increase the 3D clocks so that the card returns to default once you are not gaming.

also xfx provide overclocking warranty too but i highly doubt rashi warranty....:D

you should try to keep the temperature below 80 at load,though it dosen't hurt much even if they reach 90.if you have the standard xfx 8600gt with a single slot cooler i recommend that you should increase the fan speed using rivatuner.

it does void the warranty but i dont know how they can check that its been overclocked....and indian computer guys are dumb enuf to be fooled neways :D

install ati tool....use the scan for artifacts to load it and post the temps u get after 15min

the ram is very overclockable on the card...u can do 1700-1800mhz instead of the stock 1400 easily

mine gives 62 degrees at load with 640/1700 settings...havent tried further but its gigabyte

edit:: use ati tool as it allows you to set separate clocks for 2d(read desktop) and 3d(games) modes...u can leave it at stock for 2d mode and overclock in 3d mode :)

increase the core only first in steps of 5-10mhz....and load using games/3dmark/ati tool artifact scanner.... and observe for any glitches....i use ati tool

when u start getting artifacts back the clock down by 10mhz and u can leave it there but check the temps(below 90 would be fine i guess but u will get artifacts much before u hit temperature boundaries)...

then do the same with memory....

in mine i just went from 700 straight to 800 and it worked fine...then jumped to 850...now will do in steps :D

c my siggy for my overclocked clocks ;)
me also on stock cooler :cool2: used ntune,riva tuner n ati tool + 2 hrs of continuous 3d mark 06 n 05 , got no artifacts but cant say same for ur card as the clocks may vary from card to card.there will always b +/-s :)
YEA N IT DOESNT VOID WARRANTY UNLESS U DO VOLT MOD :rofl:

So, Should I set it to run only when playing crysis or certain games? Can I use nTune to set it coz i don't do much overclocking.

Moreover if i set it to run when Crysis starts, the rest of the time it will be in the stock speed. Is it right?

And does increasing the shader clock give much of a performance increase or minimal.

clown_abhi said:
So, Should I set it to run only when playing crysis or certain games? Can I use nTune to set it coz i don't do much overclocking.
Moreover if i set it to run when Crysis starts, the rest of the time it will be in the stock speed. Is it right?
And does increasing the shader clock give much of a performance increase or minimal.

you only overclock the 3D clocks as i said earlier,so the overclocked settings take effect when you start a 3D application otherwise your card will stay at stock,you can even downclock it for 2D use if you want to.
and from what i have heard,increasing the shader clocks gives the most performance boost and its better to unlink the core the shader clocks and to overclok them separately.

^^ati tool has 3 sets of bars in mine...the leftmost is 2d, middle is 3d low power(which is greyed out), and right is 3d performance....
so change the sliders on the right most...the memory for 2d and 3d will stay the same but 3d clocks will change
since the shader clock is linked to the core clock with a multiplier of 2.4, it will also change...use gpu-z to verify the clocks

Hey everybody,

I passed through my first card overclocking.:clap:

I have overclocked using ATITool coz i found it the simplest. I have set it to run when it detects any 3D application. And it does so flawlessly. Didn't use Riva Tuner coz it was incompatible with 169.21 Forceware.

However with fraps running it won't behave properly & doesn't load the overclocked profile. But no problem. Dat's fine coz if i start fraps after i start the game, then it stays at overclocked profile. So, no problem with dat.

Bumped to the following:

Core: 540 -> 645

Memory: 1400 -> 1610

Shaders: 1188 -> 1418

Ran ATI Tool for 2 hours without any artifacts. The temperature however went from 49 at stock to 70 at load. The max it went was 73.

After dat ran 3DMark 2006 for 2 hours & got a score of 5380 against the previous score of 4458.

Ran Crysis & i was able to play at high shaders with sunshafts at an avg fps of 24. The minimum i got was 19. Most of the time it stayed above 23 so it was comfortable gameplay. Temperature went to 72 on high settings.

Dat was my experience with overclocking. I think the max temperature is fine for the chipset. Isn't it? And what u guys think, can i bump it more or dat would be greedy. These settings are even higher than XFX XXX Edition. So, i thought it's enough. And should i mess around with the fan settings in nTune or just set it to auto.

Anyway,Thanks everyone for ur help.:)

^^great .... but u can go further... i suggest u increase the mem clock coz it goes way higher and it is 256mb i guess....mine is running at 1700(havent tried further) and people do 1800+ mhz on the memory with this card

and the temps are fine

mine is a gigabyte fanless one and used to do 95 degrees....with the fan i attached it does 62@full load with 640/1700 :)

leave the fan settings at auto coz it will speed up itself at full load

and i'm leaving my core at 640....cmon how much more peformance can u need

^^NOW REWARD ME WITH THAT CRYSIS CONFIG BIATCH

_pappu_ said:
^^great .... but u can go further... i suggest u increase the mem clock coz it goes way higher and it is 256mb i guess....mine is running at 1700(havent tried further) and people do 1800+ mhz on the memory with this card

and the temps are fine
mine is a gigabyte fanless one and used to do 95 degrees....with the fan i attached it does 62@full load with 640/1700 :)

leave the fan settings at auto coz it will speed up itself at full load
and i'm leaving my core at 640....cmon how much more peformance can u need

^^NOW REWARD ME WITH THAT CRYSIS CONFIG BIATCH

ahemm you shud mention the gr8 soul who gifted you the fan..:eek:hyeah:

@OT

did rivatuner didn't work at all or did it say the drivers haven't been tested on it??you might wanna increase fan speed using it,73c is fine but the cooler the better.
and there is no greed involved in OCing you just have to follow the rule:
If it ain't broke,gotta overclock. :p

620+ is the limit on these cards,so i dun think it will go higher than that on stock voltages....... so its time to vmod :devil2:

gamervivek said:
620+ is the limit on these cards,so i dun think it will go higher than that on stock voltages....... so its time to vmod :devil2:

620~core is a very moderate oc IMO , All 8600gt's should do about 700 on superior cooling, My card does 725/900 w/o a volt mod :eek:hyeah:.

Guys,

Riva Tuner was working but just dat being a newbie to overclocking i found it a bit complicated. I tried overclocking a bit more & settled at:

Core: 650
Memory: 1650

The temperature is hovering around 74 at load when playing crysis at high settings and the system is completely stable even after 3 hours of gaming.

I have nTune installed. Can i try increasing the fan speed using nTune?

ReNaGAde said:
620~core is a very moderate oc IMO , All 8600gt's should do about 700 on superior cooling, My card does 725/900 w/o a volt mod :eek:hyeah:.

consider yourself lucky then...but not everyone gets the same chip;)

@clown_abhi

what did you achieve in max core test of ati tool?
i dunno if ntune has this option,but try and set the fan speed to a constant speed all the time thats the hassle-free approach.
however if you are not into heavy-music use the riva tuner for dynamic fan control.

^^GAYMER DOESNT KNOW NETHING BUT HE GIVES EVERY1 ADVICE :)

gaymer try that on your 6200 first...the max buttons...coz they change clocks by percentage so 120%(by default) is a bit too high

^^DONT USE THE MAX BUTTONS ON ATI TOOL.... just dont

it jumps up in steps of 60mhz in mine by default and is absolutely crazy

you have to set the steps and time for checking each step....and in my old card it kept increasing clocks irrespective of whatever was happening until the system would lock up

just go in 10-mhz steps and check...its a slow process :)

Back