Gigabit switch to upgrade my LAN

@colors6 Initial impression is positive. I am hitting full speeds on 2 gigabit ethernet ports as of now. I was also able to hit full speeds on my mobile close to the router. Will do further testing. Stability testing will require spending some time with the router.

Edit:
Latest Fimware is 1.02 dated 30th June 2021.

Edit 2:
I have configured it fully from the web panel. I am impressed with the product. Wifi Range is higher than the Mercusys MR50G. There is no VPN feature which you were looking for. Now let's hope the router is stable and keeps getting firmware updates. I hope openwrt support comes at later date as the hardware looks like to be adequate (Dual Core 880Mhz, 128MB Ram & 128MB Flash Memory). I am still not able to figure out which processor is inside this router.

Last edited:
@TinTinSnowy

I don't hold high hopes for firmware updates. D-Link has a terrible track record with firmware upgrades, atleast with the D-Link routers I have owned. There's a reason D-Link routers are comparatively cheaper than other routers. After sales service is going to be iffy.

I hope I'm wrong on this.

I'm happy your initial impressions are good.

Hoping it is also a good experience when it comes to stability.

@superczar How can I use my new dlink wifi router as a switch as well as a wifi router? A cable from Jio's lan port is coming into WAN port of my Wi-Fi Router. I want to be able to share files / remote desktop (Windows) between devices connected directly to Jio router lan ports and the lan ports of this D-Link Router. I am not able to see the other devices under the same WORKGROUP after replacing the switch with this router.

@superczar How can I use my new dlink wifi router as a switch as well as a wifi router? A cable from Jio's lan port is coming into WAN port of my Wi-Fi Router. I want to be able to share files / remote desktop (Windows) between devices connected directly to Jio router lan ports and the lan ports of this D-Link Router. I am not able to see the other devices under the same WORKGROUP after replacing the switch with this router.
Thats because you have a dual NAT because of two routers being operational on the same network.
Devices connected to JIO and dlink are on different network segments

You need to switch off the dlink device routing function altogether and set it to AP mode. (i.e. it needs to work as a simple switch + AP instead of as a router performing WAN-LAN routing)
Then connect the wire coming from Jio router (which should be the only router on thr network) to one of the LAN ports on the dlink device

PS: Some devices will change WAN port to a LAN port when in AP mode thus yielding an extra port for LAN usage - but you can test that later

@TinTinSnowy

You mentioned getting full speeds on 2 gigabit ethernet ports.

Usually in budget routers of this kind gigabit speeds is distributed among the four ports. So, if two ports are simultaneously using traffic, they won't achieve gigabit speeds individually.

Can you check/confirm if the individual ethernet ports can maintain speeds close to gigabit if they are being used simultaneously to transfer data?

@colors6 Yes. You are right. I did simultaneous file transfer and the speeds got distributed. I am getting 108-112 MB/s speed over LAN file transfers.

@superczar Problem solved. Thanks man! Resetting the router again with both systems powered on gave them the proper settings. Now the systems are getting IP address from the Jio Router. Wi-Fi is working properly as well. I am just worried there is no AP mode option in the router web panel. It asks me to configure internet every time I login as there is no cable in the wan port. I skip it by loading any other page in the router by URL.

I guess every thing is going through JioFiber Router now as I am not seeing any information in the admin panel regarding the connected clients. Even the wifi devices are getting IP assigned from JioFiber Router. Is this good enough or should I go for a router with AP mode option in their web panel?
1627388472848.png

Last edited:
@TinTinSnowy sorry,.I misunderstood.

I forgot the same thing was happening on my current 816 router. So, I will get much better transfers on the new router
Yeah. You will enjoy the router. It is perfect for your requirements apart from the VPN. I am satisfied with the router as well. Just one con for me is that Guest Networks does not work under AP/Repeater Mode.

@TinTinSnowy

You mentioned getting full speeds on 2 gigabit ethernet ports.

Usually in budget routers of this kind gigabit speeds is distributed among the four ports. So, if two ports are simultaneously using traffic, they won't achieve gigabit speeds individually.

Can you check/confirm if the individual ethernet ports can maintain speeds close to gigabit if they are being used simultaneously to transfer data?
Each port is gigabit - so on a switch with 4 used ports by PC 1-4 , you can have PC1 transferring to PC2 at 1000mbps (i.e. 1000+1000 ingress and egress) as well as PC3 transferring to Pc4 at 1000mbps.

BTW 100MB/s file transfer = 800mbps
expect it to peak around 930-950 due to TCP overheads accounting for the remaining

In contrast, a fast ethernet switch will yield about 11-12 MB/s transfer rates
@colors6 Yes. You are right. I did simultaneous file transfer and the speeds got distributed. I am getting 108-112 MB/s speed over LAN file transfers.

@superczar Problem solved. Thanks man! Resetting the router again with both systems powered on gave them the proper settings. Now the systems are getting IP address from the Jio Router. Wi-Fi is working properly as well. I am just worried there is no AP mode option in the router web panel. It asks me to configure internet every time I login as there is no cable in the wan port. I skip it by loading any other page in the router by URL.

I guess every thing is going through JioFiber Router now as I am not seeing any information in the admin panel regarding the connected clients. Even the wifi devices are getting IP assigned from JioFiber Router. Is this good enough or should I go for a router with AP mode option in their web panel?
View attachment 110209
If you can't find AP setting, just disable the DHCP server on the DIR 1260
and leave the WAN port unused completely.

Yeah. Did that and it's working fine now. Just missing the ability to use guest network (AP Isolation).
The other alternative is to set the jio router to bridged mode and let the dlink work as router ...

But I suspect Jio doesn't let you use own router by bridging their in house one

The other alternative is to set the jio router to bridged mode and let the dlink work as router ...

But I suspect Jio doesn't let you use own router by bridging their in house one
Yes. JioFiber is restricted. I still like it for it's near perfect uptime and stability.
isolation can happen via VLANs if supported
VLAN option is there in the D-Link Router. But I am not sure if it will work with AP mode. I was thinking of getting a gigabit switch and putting it before the router. Using the wifi router only for mobile devices and guest devices. But might increase the latency??

Edit: I realized that AP isolation won't stop from guest devices to communicate with LAN devices. I am looking for a way to prevent wireless devices to communicate from devices on ethernet (all my pcs)
@superczar I am thinking of putting a switch between the Jio Router and D-Link Router. Will that provide adequate isolation from wireless devices connected to D-Link Router and Wired Devices connected to the JioRouter & Switch?

Last edited:
Yes. JioFiber is restricted. I still like it for it's near perfect uptime and stability.

VLAN option is there in the D-Link Router. But I am not sure if it will work with AP mode. I was thinking of getting a gigabit switch and putting it before the router. Using the wifi router only for mobile devices and guest devices. But might increase the latency??

Edit: I realized that AP isolation won't stop from guest devices to communicate with LAN devices. I am looking for a way to prevent wireless devices to communicate from devices on ethernet (all my pcs)
@superczar I am thinking of putting a switch between the Jio Router and D-Link Router. Will that provide adequate isolation from wireless devices connected to D-Link Router and Wired Devices connected to the JioRouter & Switch?
that won’t do anything for isolation at all..That’s not how switches work
On a side note, why do you even want to do this - I am presuming this is for home usage

Or to put it differently, what do you wish to achieve - perhaps a very rough topology sketch would help

that won’t do anything for isolation at all..That’s not how switches work
On a side note, why do you even want to do this - I am presuming this is for home usage

Or to put it differently, what do you wish to achieve - perhaps a very rough topology sketch would help
It is for home use. I have relatives coming every now and then. They do access my wifi and I am worried if any of their infected smartphone tries to invade into my devices.

Back