Gigabit switch to upgrade my LAN

@TinTinSnowy

It will be difficult to get a replacement for dir 825 as I think the warranty has expired. Also, I think the problem won't be solved by a replacement. I think it's the firmware.

I'll most probably get the 1260. I'm a little apprehensive about getting a router that was just released and don't want my 825 experience to be repeated.

Archer A7 is a solid device in that range available today for 2700(usually around 3.5k-4k. It supports openwrt if you like to tinker.)

Wifi performance on openwrt is around 400-450mbps when i am close to it on 5ghz
ethernet performance is 1gbit but since the backplane is 1gbit, all devices cant do 1gbit concurrently.
It also has limited support for hardware accelerated aes which may be helpful if you want to use openvpn. I can't comment on the speeds though but I think they'll be around 200mbps or less.

OP: This particular unit may be faulty.

I have been using DIR-825 since Dec'2017 (given by Spectranet with 1Gbps connection) and it works flawlessly with so many wired and wireless devices (with a Gigabit Switch also).

Try updating firmware.

Mine is :

* Hardware Version : G1
* Firmware Version : 7.00 (updated a couple of months ago)

Attachments

• Screenshot (862).png
    Screenshot (862).png
    13.1 KB · Views: 77
Archer A7 is a solid device in that range available today for 2700(usually around 3.5k-4k. It supports openwrt if you like to tinker.)

Wifi performance on openwrt is around 400-450mbps when i am close to it on 5ghz
ethernet performance is 1gbit but since the backplane is 1gbit, all devices cant do 1gbit concurrently.
It also has limited support for hardware accelerated aes which may be helpful if you want to use openvpn. I can't comment on the speeds though but I think they'll be around 200mbps or less.
Any idea if I can set the router so that all devices don’t have to use vpn?
if I just want my NAS and apple tv to use vpn but don’t want my phone and tablet to *not* use vpn?
OP: This particular unit may be faulty.

I have been using DIR-825 since Dec'2017 (given by Spectranet with 1Gbps connection) and it works flawlessly with so many wired and wireless devices (with a Gigabit Switch also).

Try updating firmware.

I also got it with spectranet.

dlink is terrible with firmware update. I think I’m on latest firmware

Is 825 better than 1260, archer A7?
I have not used other two, so can't comment. Other experts can suggest.

I have never felt the need to change my DIR-825. I give it 10/10 for my usage.

I have in fact kept it in my Amazon secondary wishlist just in case I change my ISP and spectranet takes it back (I have not paid for it). Good router for 2k, maybe newer/better models are available now.

I have not used other two, so can't comment. Other experts can suggest.

I have never felt the need to change my DIR-825. I give it 10/10 for my usage.

I have in fact kept it in my Amazon secondary wishlist just in case I change my ISP and spectranet takes it back (I have not paid for it). Good router for 2k, maybe newer/better models are available now.

Got burned once. I'm going to skip this.

I'm wondering if I can use the 1gb ethernet ports of 825 with 816?

ie use 825 as a gigabit switch?

Any idea if I can set the router so that all devices don’t have to use vpn?
if I just want my NAS and apple tv to use vpn but don’t want my phone and tablet to *not* use vpn?
I stand corrected. It doesn't look like A7's stock firmware has settings to create a VPN client. What they do offer is a VPN server but that's not useful here. https://emulator.tp-link.com/webpages_a7v5_new/index.html
However, if you install openwrt on this, you can create vpn clients and with straightforward firewall rules+static addresses configure which device's traffic should be routed over VPN.

I also do not believe any _basic_ router in that range will offer this _advanced_ feature. :/

Thanks all for your time.

Just ordered a dir 1260 for the gigabit ports. Keeping my fingers crossed it's stable and I don't have to reboot it every day.

Wifi 6 routers without 6E are waste of money.
Thanks all for your time.

Just ordered a dir 1260 for the gigabit ports. Keeping my fingers crossed it's stable and I don't have to reboot it every day.
Congratulations. Mine is out for delivery. Let's see how it turns out. Sell out the old routers once your new router is set & working.

Back