CPU/Mobo Gigabyte M/B issues and new M/B advice request

bookoon

Disciple
Hi Folks

I was using GA-B75M-D3H
A few months back my computer started to have a problem with respect to power. The PC was restarting as soon as I power it on. So I took help from my local vendor and sent it to Gigabyte Mumbai service centre. It came back a few weeks later. It worked fine for a few hours. Next day morning the problem returned.
So as another suspect we changed the Power supply. I have HX650 from Corsair; replaced it with an old CM 500W I had with me. The problem still persisted.
So I sent back the M/B after contacting Gigabyte support.
After a very long time this problem is still unresolved and the warranty period is also over. I don't want to peruse Gigabyte any further as I had problem with the Graphic card as well a couple of years back (7870C).

Fine..now after this long back story.
Let me know what else can give this kind of problem.

..And.. since this issue has taken up close to six months I need to start rebuilding this PC.
Please advice me on the M/B front. I have i5 3450 and 2*Corsair Vengeance DDR3 4 GB Ram in place. I don't have any intention (or money) to change those unless these parts have something to do with this power issues. However, I would like to replace the board and would like it to last for a few years with respect to new generation CPUs.

Also need loads of USB 3 connectors please.

The board which you currently are using is a pretty good one, you can go for a new one of the same model, problem lies with availability of b75 in new , or u can even go for a h77 mobo if u find one

The board which you currently are using is a pretty good one, you can go for a new one of the same model, problem lies with availability of b75 in new , or u can even go for a h77 mobo if u find one

Thanks. I want to change the board as a few ports are also giving trouble. Will check h77 boards; if you have any particular model/ Manufacturer in mind, do let me know (full ATX). Hope these will be compatible with future CPUs (at least for two three years)

U can check out gigabyte ones, as far as future proofing goes, am sorry to inform that the bus had left the station, as yours is a 3rd gen socket 1155 processor, even a fourth gen socket 1150 processor is not compatible with 3rd gen and currently 6th gen has come out which is socket 1151 , so if you are gonna buy a new mobo it will be only for this processor and not for future ones which you will buy

Update.

I checked with the vendor who was trying to fix this issue with Gigabyte. I am told that even changing the RAM did not solve the problem. The only thing he could not swap was the processor.
In that case I will have to go for a new CPU/Mobo combo. Please let me know your thoughts.

You will also need to go for new Rams as new mobos require ddr4 rams, perhaps you should mention your budget and requirements viz a viz sli, oc , high speed ram, m.2 drive , what tech u want there in the pc then perhaps someone might be able to suggest a config

:banghead:...
Thanks for letting me know that I am completely Fried... manishbharech ... Lot of catching up to do.
I am trying to get hold of a CPU from one of my friends before taking the final decision... Will come back soon.:hungover::dead:

Hahaha dude no issues pm me the existing hardware which you wanna use in new rig, will try to suggest something which will be in budget, also try to resolve current problem with your mobo ram and proccy as the sale of these three components should give you seeder fund for new rig also it will enable you to decide which of your existing components are usable and can be carried forward to ur new rig

Could not get hold of the CPU yet.

Please advice on the new combo of CPU-MoBo-Ram. Looking for i5. Not much accustomed to OC... so I will skip that.
This is for a gaming rig. The rest of the configuration that is going to remain the same are as follows
---------------
forgot to include a budget.. which is the most difficult part.
does 10k for mobo/ 15k for proc and 5 k for ram look good? I prepared this config after lot of hard work (read credit card loan).. So I am not going to let this down... 30-35k it will be budget.
----------------

Gigabyte AMD/ATI GV-R7870OC-2GD 2 GB GDDR5
PCI express card for USB 3.0 (need to replace this too)
160 GB internal HDD
320 GB internal HDD
120GB Samsung SSD
(Plan to have a >2TB internal HDD very soon)
1TB WD external HDD USB 3.0
3TB WD external HDD USB 3.0
Asus DVD writer
(Plan to have a blue Ray drive sometime)
DELL U2412 24 inch Ultra Sharp LED
Internal Card reader
3 x 120mm fans
CM k380 Cabinet
Corsair HX650
APC Backup UPS Pro-1000
MS wireless desktop

Last edited:
U can go for b150 or h170 for mobo, i5 6500 proccy and 16 gigs of ram 2400 gskill, it should fit comfortably in your budget, you won't require the pci express card for usb 3.0. Also keeping an external hdd connected all the time to pc is not reccomended, since you are not gonna go for sli or oc ram and proccy a b150 would be adequate , my personal choice for mobos is gigabyte

U can go for b150 or h170 for mobo, i5 6500 proccy and 16 gigs of ram 2400 gskill, it should fit comfortably in your budget, you won't require the pci express card for usb 3.0. Also keeping an external hdd connected all the time to pc is not reccomended, since you are not gonna go for sli or oc ram and proccy a b150 would be adequate , my personal choice for mobos is gigabyte

Thanks for being the life line here. I am not sure why you mentioned that I would not need the pci express card for usb 3.0.
May I request you to list some of your choices of Mobo models? If you have anything with the USB 3.1 second generation in mind, pl let me know.

i5 6500 is 16150 INR in Amazon.
G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 8GB 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400 (PC4 19200) is 2950 INR x 2 = 5900
I have a 15% discount coupon from ebay (RS 2000 max) will check that site too.

:happy:

You will already have ample USB ports onboard, try local vendors for components , online is costlier by 7-10%, as far as mobo since you mentioned u want atx you can go for ga-b150-hd3p or MSI B150 GAMING M3

And yes new mobos will have 3.1 ports some might even have the c type but to get the benefits of increased speed you will probably require the external ssd drives which have come out, have not tried them so can't comment on their speeds, but the mechanical external hdds can't take full benefit of 3.1

You will already have ample USB ports onboard, try local vendors for components , online is costlier by 7-10%, as far as mobo since you mentioned u want atx you can go for ga-b150-hd3p or MSI B150 GAMING M3
I was wondering if B150A GAMING PRO will be better since it has two 2nd generation USB 3.1 port. Please have a look at the comparison.
I am yet to look at the GA one. I hope it supports DDR4; the few ones i saw did not.

----
Just checked; it does and has USB C as well.

Attachments

• MSI mobo comparison.pdf
    110.4 KB · Views: 279
Last edited:
Yes it has 2 gen 2 3.1, the ga has 1 , but ga has c type also, you can go for gaming pro also , at this point the price and look probably matter more amongst the three, the red looks cool[emoji3]

Back