OC & Modding Gigabyte P67A-UD7 + Intel 2600K + MSI GTX580 Living Review - Work in Progress

Stop fooling around and just run them full list of benchies again... another thing, looking @ your desktop clutter.. do a fresh install as well :p

BTW, wheres you on 3D11? Haven't bought it yet or just holding back??

Harshal said:
Stop fooling around and just run them full list of benchies again... another thing, looking @ your desktop clutter.. do a fresh install as well :p

BTW, wheres you on 3D11? Haven't bought it yet or just holding back??

3D11, got free in one of the XS comp but till the time bot doesnt award point, I feel lazy to run them.

Was waiting to get hold of a golden chip, though not golden but got an above average chip. Not stellar on air but hoping on LN2/DICE it will be better...Fresh installation done as well. Now time to start prepping and working on the OS/Ram efficiency. More benches coming in the next few days. Everything on air for now. Pretty good mobo for sure but again I am sure, if one has the right chip, any P67 board would allow you to clock up.

signature.img

signature.img

Put the chip on DICE because was not able to run 3D tests because of heat. Some of the results below, waiting for the setup to dry out to get more screenshots :

wPrime 1024m - 2min 17sec 749ms - (Intel Core i7 2600K @5593MHz)
wPrime 32m - 4sec 374ms - (Intel Core i7 2600K @5593MHz)
3DMark2001 SE - 119043 marks
3DMark06 - 38770 marks
3DMark05 - 49433 marks
3DMark03 - 130729 marks

Harshal said:
Nice runs, good clean OS there :p
hehehehe, thanks. XP doesnt go on from one setup to another, hence feel lazy to install every time, that Vista OS has seen atleast 20 motherboards, so I continue with it and submit to a few 100 point drop in score, :D,

Harshal said:
Mine doesnt look that good... 54x is limit on air. Try outs on LN2 maybe tomorrow...

Dont waste LN2 I tell you, just try it on air, with 1 core if heat is an issue, you will be able to tell if its heat or the chip which is a limiting factor. I hope Intel doesnt continue with chips like 2600K though, overclocking is a joke with these chips, lol. Increase 2-3 settings, and you are good for even WR's, i.e if you are patient enough to bin through 10 chips. My luck favored me though, only had to go through 3 more chips before finding this one (and only Rs. 200 loss in sold chips, hahahahaha)

hey banik i have got a i7 2600k batch 3103B460. Its a golden chip capable of 56x multi. I have checked it out on my friends board (p8p67-deluxe) and the maximum overclock that we got was 5.4 Ghz @ 1.485 v with a custom water cooling kit.

But when i use the same chip in my set up (MSI p67a-gd 55, Spire Thermax Eclipse II 5 HP DT), due to high temps i am afraid to crank up the OC. at stock speeds i am getting 61-62 C at full load and at 4.2 Ghz @ 1.2 v I am getting 67-68 C at full loads. My ambient temp is around 32-35 C depending on the time of day.

Do you think these temps are safe?

devvfata1ity said:
hey banik i have got a i7 2600k batch 3103B460. Its a golden chip capable of 56x multi. I have checked it out on my friends board (p8p67-deluxe) and the maximum overclock that we got was 5.4 Ghz @ 1.485 v with a custom water cooling kit.

But when i use the same chip in my set up (MSI p67a-gd 55, Spire Thermax Eclipse II 5 HP DT), due to high temps i am afraid to crank up the OC. at stock speeds i am getting 61-62 C at full load and at 4.2 Ghz @ 1.2 v I am getting 67-68 C at full loads. My ambient temp is around 32-35 C depending on the time of day.

Do you think these temps are safe?

Yup both your current temps and volts are completely safe. And congrats on a damn nice chip.....

Hey Banik,

Apologies for looking at this so late. But since it is a WIP -- could we have some more real life tests vs. pure synthetics. Also some readers requested stock temperatures, which along with the HSF images would work wonders. Most people equate equipment like this to gaming and basic net surfing...!

Hope you can manage, when ever you get time. Nice write up though.

thanks a lot banik. btw what is the maximum safe temp for a 24/7 OC on air? I am actually targeting 4.6-4.8 Ghz and so far I have only OCed it to 4.4.Ghz @ 1.22v. The temps increases to 73-75 at this setting. I have just once tried OCing it till 4.6 Ghz and at that speed the load temps exceed 80 C.

How much mileage do you think i can extract out of my chip without frying it?

TIA

asingh said:
Hey Banik,

Apologies for looking at this so late. But since it is a WIP -- could we have some more real life tests vs. pure synthetics. Also some readers requested stock temperatures, which along with the HSF images would work wonders. Most people equate equipment like this to gaming and basic net surfing...!

Hope you can manage, when ever you get time. Nice write up though.

Actually it has been 3 months, I dont think its a work in progress anymore, very lazy, donno whether I would be able to add the requested info but would certainly try...
devvfata1ity said:
thanks a lot banik. btw what is the maximum safe temp for a 24/7 OC on air? I am actually targeting 4.6-4.8 Ghz and so far I have only OCed it to 4.4.Ghz @ 1.22v. The temps increases to 73-75 at this setting. I have just once tried OCing it till 4.6 Ghz and at that speed the load temps exceed 80 C.

How much mileage do you think i can extract out of my chip without frying it?

TIA
Wont suggest running chip at 80C for 24/7 use. Temperatures around or below 70C is fine for 24/7. As far as volts are concerned with proper cooling, you can easily bump them up to 1.35-1.4V(if you are within the above advisable temperature)

thanks man. I think will try and reseating the HSF and see if the temps drop a bit. Also i will get an ac so that my ambients drop by 10 C or so. That way i will be able to hit 4.5-4.7 Ghz and also stay under 70 C for a 24/7 OC. For now i guess 4.2 ghz have to do.

Back