Good lasting Perfumes suggestions

Seems there is a lot of traction on Armaf perfumes. Can anyone post your review after using it? Amazon / Flipkart have bad reviews on this product

Seems there is a lot of traction on Armaf perfumes. Can anyone post your review after using it? Amazon / Flipkart have bad reviews on this product

That's actually a very good question.
Perfumes are very dependent on individual taste and sense of smell. What smells good to one person might not be too appreciated by another. For example, someone might be into citruses, someone might be into aquatics, someone might like orientals (spicy end of the fragrance chart) etc etc. I personally like the old fougeres (classics), which are too rare these days, and I also like citrus types as well as things with oakmoss (Givenchy Xeryus as an example), or say citruses like Armani EPH or Rochas Homme. We don't get the powerhouses like Halston z-14 these days, or YSL Kouros or M7.

Coming back to the topic, one should be wary of blind-buying perfumes since one might end up disappointed. Perfumes have a LOT going on with skin chemistry, weather etc. Our summers are so hot that a lot of perfumes will turn into a cloying mess because they cannot dissipate well.

As for these Armafs, I would suggest looking at basenotes or other review sites, and do a comparison against WHAT perfume type you like and then blind buy. Basically, Armaf (or many other companies) does a gas chromatography-mass spectrometry of existing perfumes and this process breaks down a sample into their base notes. They can then duplicate the perfume based on the result and get a very similar (but not exact) output using common olfactory chemicals.

The Armaf I bought (Derby Club house), is supposed to smell similar to Creed Bois du Portugal (a heavyweight costing over 200USD), and for around 1000 rupees, this is a good way to sample/smell something similar. It is actually very close to the original Creed sample I have, but somehow, does not appeal to my taste. It does last long, smells very good, but is 'not the perfume' for me, if you understand what I mean.

If you want a cheap and good perfume (but won't last long), look at Yardley Classic and even better, Yardley Citrus and Woods - it's supposed to be similar to Terre d'Hermes. You cannot go wrong with more expensive perfume brands like Aramis, or Givenchy or Dior (tried and tested, they do extensive sampling, they cater to their markets, and what they churn out will be miles better than knock-offs or the low end of the market).

I'd also take reviews with a pinch of salt, people buy perfumes for the heck of it (to smell good), without knowing how it will smell to them. I think most people are better off with the common Axe/Fogg types as those will last long, and have a bunch of sprays. However, they definitely do NOT have the depth of a decent designer fragrance.

True that. I have been using some expensive perfumes, but those are not of much use due to ever increasing temperature. Thus thought, maybe I can try something new.. Particularly interested in Blue Homme (ADG)

Fortunately, they have samples (10 x 3 ml), so planning to order those

20180404_211304.jpg
Smells good and strong. Let me try it tomoro to work and get the reviews frm women.

Received 10 sample bottles from Armaf. Unfortunately, i received 3 bottles of Blue Homme (ADG version) which i tested immediately. It is nowhere as good as ADG in terms of smell and provides a completely different tone
Would advise anyone against buying Blue Homme.

Have tried Tag Him (Bleu De Chanel) today, decent smell but nothing great.

Received 10 sample bottles from Armaf. Unfortunately, i received 3 bottles of Blue Homme (ADG version) which i tested immediately. It is nowhere as good as ADG in terms of smell and provides a completely different tone
Would advise anyone against buying Blue Homme.

Have tried Tag Him (Bleu De Chanel) today, decent smell but nothing great.
Thanks - can you share your opinion on the Ventana sample? I'm looking for another good citrus, and it's supposed to smell like Dior Sauvage, but even if it smells half as citrusy without the synthetic accords, I might be interested in getting that.

Thanks - can you share your opinion on the Ventana sample? I'm looking for another good citrus, and it's supposed to smell like Dior Sauvage, but even if it smells half as citrusy without the synthetic accords, I might be interested in getting that.
I am not if I received Ventana. Will check & update.

M using Armaf deodorant and its good. Seems its some middle east brand though never cared to carefully look at its origin etc. But its fragrance is nice and fresh.

For all you hyderabadi potte, you might have seen the attar wallas at old city. Well you can go to them and ask them for attar of well known brands like davidoff cool water and they'll hook you up for much cheaper than buying the original stuff. And it lasts much much longer than original cool water. I was under impression that they won't be that much good compared to original but believe me these guys have become masters in it. Never paying full price for cool water again

For all you hyderabadi potte, you might have seen the attar wallas at old city. Well you can go to them and ask them for attar of well known brands like davidoff cool water and they'll hook you up for much cheaper than buying the original stuff. And it lasts much much longer than original cool water. I was under impression that they won't be that much good compared to original but believe me these guys have become masters in it. Never paying full price for cool water again
How much did it cost ?

Is it advisable to purchase perfumes from Flipkart? Interested in buying Davidoff Coolwater and Champion. They're available for a pretty cheap price from SuperComNet on Flipkart (A Flipkart Assured Seller).

M using Armaf deodorant and its good. Seems its some middle east brand though never cared to carefully look at its origin etc. But its fragrance is nice and fresh.
Yes, they're manufactured by Sterling Parfums, a known brand. They are known to 'emulate' Niche/Designer fragrances at a much lower price point. Overall quality is quite good.

Is it advisable to purchase perfumes from Flipkart? Interested in buying Davidoff Coolwater and Champion. They're available for a pretty cheap price from SuperComNet on Flipkart (A Flipkart Assured Seller).

SuperComNet is reliable, but compare prices, if a deal is too good to be true, it usually is.

I have a large bunch of attars, but let me tell you, essential oils/attars at the low end of the spectrum are NOT dermatologically friendly or tested. I have some genuine Oud that is over 2-3K for just a few drops, and I also have 30 rupee 5 ml bottles of Attar. The chemicals they use are simply the low end of the fragrance market and are neither good for the nose or the skin.

The reasons why designer fragrances (branded ones) are expensive are
1) Extensive design thought behind the perfume (target audience, branding etc)
2) Nose (the perfumer) designs the perfume after a lot of variations, they get to manufacture it in bulk
3) Complying with regulations
4) Hit and miss after launch. People might like the fragrance, or might not, and it means millions in marketing across fashion channels.
Yes, some of the designers recoup their losses and make handsome profits, e.g Cool Water, ADG, CK One and so forth, but quite a lot of them also fade into obscurity.
It is correct that the cost of the materials for a designer fragrance wouldn't be more than a 10th of its price (usually, but not always!), but you also have to see the number of factors behind the price. To give another extreme example, there are a LOT of niche perfumers, say Tauer perfumes, who use genuine high quality rose EO, or Vanilla EO etc, and that reflects in the prices of their perfumes also.

So, to compare a cheap attar that has some of the qualities of smell of a more expensive brand is by no means the entire story. There is a reason why IFRA (the perfume regulation body) regulates the chemicals that constitute these fragrances. Oakmoss for example is not found in perfumes now, but it was 10 years ago, likewise for other ingredients. Many people complain of reformulations, but the companies are complying with these regulations that make perfumes safer to protect people from allergies, skin issues etc.

Personally, I would NOT apply a cheap EO (essential oil/attar) to my skin, but that's just me :) . I used to do that long ago when I lacked knowledge, but after becoming aware of the possible harmful effects, its something I avoid.

Yes, they're manufactured by Sterling Parfums, a known brand. They are known to 'emulate' Niche/Designer fragrances at a much lower price point. Overall quality is quite good.

SuperComNet is reliable, but compare prices, if a deal is too good to be true, it usually is.

I have a large bunch of attars, but let me tell you, essential oils/attars at the low end of the spectrum are NOT dermatologically friendly or tested. I have some genuine Oud that is over 2-3K for just a few drops, and I also have 30 rupee 5 ml bottles of Attar. The chemicals they use are simply the low end of the fragrance market and are neither good for the nose or the skin.

The reasons why designer fragrances (branded ones) are expensive are
1) Extensive design thought behind the perfume (target audience, branding etc)
2) Nose (the perfumer) designs the perfume after a lot of variations, they get to manufacture it in bulk
3) Complying with regulations
4) Hit and miss after launch. People might like the fragrance, or might not, and it means millions in marketing across fashion channels.
Yes, some of the designers recoup their losses and make handsome profits, e.g Cool Water, ADG, CK One and so forth, but quite a lot of them also fade into obscurity.
It is correct that the cost of the materials for a designer fragrance wouldn't be more than a 10th of its price (usually, but not always!), but you also have to see the number of factors behind the price. To give another extreme example, there are a LOT of niche perfumers, say Tauer perfumes, who use genuine high quality rose EO, or Vanilla EO etc, and that reflects in the prices of their perfumes also.

So, to compare a cheap attar that has some of the qualities of smell of a more expensive brand is by no means the entire story. There is a reason why IFRA (the perfume regulation body) regulates the chemicals that constitute these fragrances. Oakmoss for example is not found in perfumes now, but it was 10 years ago, likewise for other ingredients. Many people complain of reformulations, but the companies are complying with these regulations that make perfumes safer to protect people from allergies, skin issues etc.

Personally, I would NOT apply a cheap EO (essential oil/attar) to my skin, but that's just me :) . I used to do that long ago when I lacked knowledge, but after becoming aware of the possible harmful effects, its something I avoid.
This view is perfectly true too.

These attarwallas are not some small stores but have big ac showrooms and they've been in this attar business since generations and have extensive labs to mix and match. They even export attars to dubai regularly. However as you said, they probably aren't tested by IFRA but I have no problem trusting them since they bet their reputation on these attars. Even I wouldn't recommend buying attars from no name shops.[DOUBLEPOST=1523401103][/DOUBLEPOST]https://www.idiva.com/news-style-be...d-guide-to-indias-finest-attar-shops/17072090

Does not last much at all, not worth 800 rs and this was when i spend most time in ac office.

Guys, please understand this about a perfume. When you apply it afresh, your nose will pick up the freshly sprayed molecules and send the signals to your brain,
1) The top notes (lighter accords) will fade away in 10 minutes to half an hour (because that's the way of fragrance). These are made in such a manner as to provide the most 'zing' to the person who smells it, and most initial perfume impressions are created in this manner.
2) The middle notes will stay for a while and then blend into ...
3) The base notes, which are the long lasting bases of the perfume and will last for a while. (Sandalwood, Amber, Vanilla, Patchouli etc.)

Now, with every perfume, olfactory fatigue sets in. That is, your brain will filter out that smell because it is consistent and even though the fragrance is still there, it will not be 'visible' to you.
A good test would be to spray a few sprays on a piece of cloth and then come back and smell it 1 hour later, 2-3 hours later, and then 5-8 hours later. If the fragrance is still there 8 hours later, it does mean the perfume is long lasting. I've noticed a lot of times that I can't smell a perfume barely a couple of hours after applying it, but hours later, when with a friend, they'll comment on the fragrance.

That is not to say the fragrance you have lasts long or not. As always, it depends on the dilution of ingredients. An EDP by nature of its concentration will last more than an EDT of the same fragrance.

Back