Budget 10-15K Good quality phone for 10K

Questions:-
1. Budget?
A: INR 10K-11K

2. Preferred display size, type and resolution?
A: Preferably HD

3. Preferred operating system? (Android (with version), iOS, Windows Phone etc).
A: Android

4. Preferred connectivity options? (4G, 3G, 2G etc).
A: 4G

5. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them.
A: No Oppo, Vivo or Redmi.

6. What is your intended use for this phone (internet, camera, multimedia, mails etc.)?
A: Mainly calls and whatsapp

7. Single SIM/ Dual SIM?
A: No preference

8. New or Used? Online or Offline?
A: New

9. Any other requirements?
A:

10. If you have already considered a phone, then please mention the model
A: Moto G9

-----------------------------

Hi guys,

I need a phone for my friend's wife, for a budget around 10K. Can put 1K extra for a good phone.

My friend wanted a smartphone for the budget of around 6-7K, but I don't think you will get any decent phone in that range, which will last for long time. So I suggested to go upto 10K, where you start getting decent phones.

The main requirement is for calling and whatsapp.

I want a decent phone, which his wife can handle on a daily basis, and it should be durable and reliable, and offer good experience for a casual user.

I did some search in the 10K range, and came across 4 choices that I can consider.

Samsung Galaxy M02S: Rejected this as the processor is old, and the lack of a fingerprint sensor is just quite bad, which is quite a basic requirement nowadays.

Moto E7 Plus: Considered this, but then rejected, because for just 1K more, I can get the Moto G9, which is much better option than this in terms of specifications.

Poco M3: Looks like a good phone at this price and it is said that the phone doesn't have ads like Redmi phones. But, there are still bloatware apps, some of which are hard to remove, and that is a negative. Also, read in a review that despite saying lack of ads, there were some app suggestions somewhere. So, looks a bit sneaky.

Moto G9: Seems like the phone to go for. Processor is same as Poco M3. The good thing is the near stock Android OS, which I prefer. Even with 4 GB RAM, it will give a good experience, for normal usage. Price also is same as Poco M3. Poco M3 does have Corning Gorilla glass protection which is lacking in this phone, but I think that can be overlooked. The phone does seem to have spill protection, which is also great.

So, Moto G9 seems a good choice for me.

Any other suggestions or input please?

@nick.knack91011 has Poco M3. I have Poco X3. I can comment on the battery as both have the same capacity if you want.
Please do and battery performance also in your usage. I'm looking for a phone for my father who lives in a village. When I go there,my Samsung M30s loses almost 25% charge in standby mode within 4 hours all due to signal issues. If I keep data services off or in Airplane mode then it lasts longer. Thus need a phone that won't require charging during the day.

@Ryunosuke you have two options.
1. get hold of operator which has decent signal at your place.
2. get hold of a phone with a bigger battery.
I have Poco X3 and for me battery drain at night is 1-2% for 8-9 hours. Miui is very aggressive with battery and ram management so you can be assured no friggin app sips battery in background. Since your issue is more with Radio as it will continuously toggle to get a decent signal, there will be drain, no doubt. My Airtel sim toggles between 1,2,3,4,5 bars depending on where I am in the room. For my use casual use case- primarily browsing, occasional youtube, moderate calling, all on wifi with 90Hz I can easily pull 2-3 days battery. If I use 60hz, it can go even beyond.
Keeping all the use case constant, except for radios, youtube, 60hz M3 should easily pull you 2 or more days. If your primary data source is 4g then expect it to drop a bit faster, but still you will find it hard to completely exhaust battery in a day. Again, I am talking about normal use, extended screen use(youtube),4g would cause drain. I hope you get my point.

If you have another number you can forward your calls to that number at night and keep M30 switched off and have it switch on automatically in the morning at a designated time if that feature exists.
I wish I could give you battery stats but for some odd reason, battery stats refresh every 24 hours so it shows only for a day. Even Geeky Ranjit mentioned this in his review for M3. I thought this issue was for me alone.
Let me know if you need any further info.

Please do and battery performance also in your usage. I'm looking for a phone for my father who lives in a village. When I go there,my Samsung M30s loses almost 25% charge in standby mode within 4 hours all due to signal issues. If I keep data services off or in Airplane mode then it lasts longer. Thus need a phone that won't require charging during the day.
Right off the bat I needed only a secondary phone, I use Nokia 2720 4g ( I know ! ) as my primary non disturbance work phone. I am only using m3 as a secondary phone without sim for surfing or video calls when free so really I my estimate of battery usage would be useless to you as its on aeroplane mode most of the time.

I will say this though after debloating miui it actually doesn't use much battery at all and like @Tejas01 said miui is very aggressive esp on battery saver mode ( you can also select which apps are allowed obv ) and loses less charge than most phones I know in idle / standby mode or when screen off etc.

So overall I don't think you should face same issues with poco as you did with Samsung I feel.

But also you can do some tuning to make things better as well obviously or some habits like he said scheduling on off times, or switching of net when needed, battery saver allows you to select which apps run in background when its on , superfreez (open source greeenify ) is there as well . But honestly I was using z2 and lg v20 before but this loses much less percentage charge than them .

Anyway, now that you mentioned it @Tejas01 I was actually gonna search but you might know , do carriers charge extra for call forwarding in India ? And if I have to pay extra if I pick up a forwarded call or wud that be included in my unlimited calls plan ? ( I know this doesn't belong here so if need this can be shifted to another thread )

Last edited:
@nick.knack91011 As per my experience, the network to which it is forwarded charges you an amount. Can't recall what is the rate but it did happen to me and I think its a valid point to charge the customer. A call is forwarded from A to B, A is using B's spectrum to ensure call on A is complete. Someone has to pay for using that spectrum. Also, it will be deducted from your actual balance and not from Unlimited balance.
In my case, on both the networks I did not have any unlimited pack. From what I understand, unlimited pack or not, this would be charged from main balance as they are giving you a special service.

@nick.knack91011 @Tejas01
Is miui really that horrible for a person coming from stock or one ui? I doubt that the person, for whom this phone is, will be able to adjust to this phone or not?
I have used Miui since the early days.. Bought their Redmi 1S which was their first launch. It was slow and hanged a lot. I also had Mipad which made me decide to not purchase any Miui based phones ever.
But after being Poco X3, it has made me changed my mind. They have improved from what it was earlier. It's not the best, I agree, but it's not the worst as it used to be.
As @Ryunosuke said it's subjective. I have both stock Android and Miui, don't find too much of a difference. But again, your experience may vary. You could have a look at those YouTube videos about Miui to get a hang whether it suits your taste or not.

@nick.knack91011 @Tejas01
Is miui really that horrible for a person coming from stock or one ui? I doubt that the person, for whom this phone is, will be able to adjust to this phone or not?
When i said horrible I meant in terms of bloatware and Adds honestly which can be removed easily for most part. In terms of usability its fine nothing wrong with it and at end of the day miui is just a skin + launcher on top of android so you can change launcher to your liking and you won't even notice difference except in settings etc.

Most people should be able to adjust easily honestly I feel

@CapriAnupam I follow Android police and Android authority. GSMarena is also good, but I think it mostly caters to the West.
No idea about iOS.

Thanks for that. I have read both Android Police and Android Authority in the past... will check them out.

P.S. Ordered a poco, hope they don't cancel it. Ekart in my city sucks. Does it have a normal screen protector installed?

Did your phone arrive yet?

I don't think you require a screen protector with Poco M3... it already has Corning Gorilla glass, which should work well in preventing scratches.

My Nokia 7 Plus has Corning Gorilla glass, and I am not using any screen protector. I use just a back cover, which I think is good from safety point of view, in case the phone drops... and sometimes it has. Thankfully, it has survived those falls.

Sorry for late replies... my health isn't too good these days.

Thanks for that. I have read both Android Police and Android Authority in the past... will check them out.

Did your phone arrive yet?

I don't think you require a screen protector with Poco M3... it already has Corning Gorilla glass, which should work well in preventing scratches.

My Nokia 7 Plus has Corning Gorilla glass, and I am not using any screen protector. I use just a back cover, which I think is good from safety point of view, in case the phone drops... and sometimes it has. Thankfully, it has survived those falls.

Sorry for late replies... my health isn't too good these days.
What happened to your health? Get well soon bro.
It has arrived in my city but those idiot ekart guys are rescheduling it saying that the customer wasn't at home. Their usual mumbo jumbo.

What happened to your health? Get well soon bro.
It has arrived in my city but those idiot ekart guys are rescheduling it saying that the customer wasn't at home. Their usual mumbo jumbo.

Thanks a lot bhai.

Oh OK. But, the phone will get delivered ultimately to you? I hope it does. Good luck.

if nothing serious that requires immediate medical attention, then, start taking 1/2 (half) teaspoon Dried Ginger Powder (home made), 30 minutes before Lunch & Dinner every day
If can't bear spicy test, take with Honey (also can reduce powder quantity as suitable)

Thanks for the remedy. I am having severe deficiency of B12. So, took injections for it. Slowly regaining my strength with each day.

Take care Anupam.. get well soon.

Thanks a lot Tejas for your kind wishes.

Thank you guys!

Thanks a lot bhai.

Oh OK. But, the phone will get delivered ultimately to you? I hope it does. Good luck.

Thanks for the remedy. I am having severe deficiency of B12. So, took injections for it. Slowly regaining my strength with each day.

Thanks a lot Tejas for your kind wishes.

Thank you guys!
Tc Bro, get well soon.

Also injections would help temporarily only, change your diet also as much as possible with b12 and you would see much better long term gain.

Tc and stick around here !

Tc Bro, get well soon.

Also injections would help temporarily only, change your diet also as much as possible with b12 and you would see much better long term gain.

Tc and stick around here !

Thanks a lot!

Yes, have to make changes in diet. Because of lockdown and all, we were not able to buy non veg or egg or dairy products, and that lead to this situation, because B12 mainly comes from non-veg or dairy products. Also, need to eat more fiber for good movement in the intestines. Need to eat more fruits and dry fruits. These things seem small, but have significant effects. Learnt lesson the hard way.

Thank you for the care guys.

An apple a day keeps a doctor away..;-)
Jokes apart, do make it a habit to consume loads of fruits. Nothing beats their nutritional value and their fiber content.
You can also ask for suggestions in the Health and Fitness section to diversify your options for fiber content incase you are not into leafy vegetables. Do ask Red Dragon and Alekhkhanna here, they are docs.

Thank you for the advice.

Yes, I am not much into leafy vegetables, LOL... so would need advice on how to increase fiber content.

Thanks, I did not know there was such a section on the site. I also saw that there is a Movies section too. I might have posted there long time ago if I knew about it before.

@becool773 , I hope your phone arrives soon, so we all can know your first hand experience with Poco M3.

Well I think you're in luck because realme just launched its Narzo 30 Series this week on Wednesday. If you're looking for a 4G smartphone under 10k, you can get the Realme Narzo 30A with a price tag of Rs. 8,999 for the 3GB RAM + 32GB storage variant and Rs. 9,999 for the 4GB RAM + 64GB storage option. This phone has some impressive specs such as the octa-core MediaTek Helio G85 SoC for gaming, 6,000mAh battery that supports 18W fast charging and reverse-charging feature and 13-megapixel primary sensor + a monochrome portrait sensor setup. So you won't have to worry about the primary requirements even at a low cost.
You can also look at the Realme Narzo 30 Pro if you're looking to invest well in a 5G enabled smartphone. Although it's a little out of your budget (INR 16,999), but it is well-justified with the configuration. It offers a 6.5-inch full-HD+ display with 120Hz refresh rate, 48-megapixel quad-cam array, 5,000mAh battery that supports 30W Dart Charge fast charging, MediaTek Dimensity 800U SoC for 5G connectivity as well as smooth multitasking and multiple other features and only weighs 194 grams.
Hence, if you can exceed your budget a bit, I would suggest you to go for the Realme Narzo 30 Pro because you get a 5G powered smartphone at the lowest price available in India right now. And it's better to invest in a technology that's going to become mainstream in the upcoming years.
@Tejas01 @CapriAnupam
How's this phone?
Poco is returning back as the ba$tards kept on updating customer asked to reschedule/not at home. Their usual mumbo jumbo here. If we pay them a 100 or so then they will deliver. Hope it was available on other sites also.

Back