Google Chrome Already No. 2 Browser on Windows 7, Overtaking Firefox

Hades.

Skilled
Source : Google Chrome Already No. 2 Browser on Windows 7, Overtaking Firefox - Softpedia

2yl9va0.jpg

Google Chrome is already the number two browser, ahead of Firefox, on Windows 7. Windows 7 is hardly the dominant operating system on the web, but it does indicate a larger trend. If Chrome has managed to overtake Firefox on one platform, it's going to do it on others as well.

Microsoft has provided some data, based on Net Applications numbers, to highlight just how well Internet Explorer 9 is doing on Windows 7.

Indeed, IE9, which was launched earlier this year, is now run by 31 percent of those with Windows 7, in the US. It's run by 22.1 percent of worldwide users.

IE9 is also available on Windows Vista, but the overall market share of the aging operating system is paltry. Windows XP doesn't get IE9, even though it's still the most popular operating system Microsoft's got.

While IE9's rise is notable, it's not unexpected. But the Microsoft-supplied data also shows that Chrome is continuing with strong momentum.

Granted, the comparison is for browser versions, IE9 is pitted against Chrome 14, the current stable version, and Firefox 6 and 7, the stable versions available in September.

In the US, Chrome 14 marginally manages to overtake Firefox, with 12.7 percent market share compared to 12.6 percent.

But, worldwide, the gap is wider, Chrome 14's market share is 18.1 percent, while Firefox 6 and 7 manage to only get 15.7 percent. Again, the numbers are just for Windows 7 users.

There are too many caveats to declare Chrome the number two browser just yet. Firefox 3.6 is still used by a lot of people and it wasn't counted, for example.

What is important though is the trend which is clear, Chrome is gaining on Firefox and, in some specific cases for now, overtaking it. If the momentum holds, Chrome will overtake Firefox within months.

I seriously dont get it , How is chrome going up ???

or is the problem only for me?

I have been trying chrom since its start, and there is not a single time when it doesn't crash in 15 mins of opening:mad:

it is faster yes, very ; but it crashes here and there, and i cant find any reason! simply! DHIM!gone!

The last time it crashed, i was at the payment gateway for a purchase of 2k! Havent got the guts to use it again!

I haven't seen chrome crashing for a long time now, even though I am using the beta version. I have memory hogging problem with Firefox if it is kept opened for a long time.

^^ Strange, I have tried different versions of chrome , bcoz lot of people ask me why i use FF! and it crashes!

i have a netbook and FF is a real memory eater :mad: after one hour, i have to end the process and start again !

So, i use the latest IE, which is quite good !

I use only chrome on my desktop and laptop for like the past one year, no crashes at all.infact windows crashes once on a while after a windows update or a bad driver :)

Sent from my LG-P500 using Tapatalk

avinashwarrier said:
^^ Strange, I have tried different versions of chrome , bcoz lot of people ask me why i use FF! and it crashes!

i have a netbook and FF is a real memory eater :mad: after one hour, i have to end the process and start again !

I always use Chrome on my office as well as personal laptop and this is quite good..only time I need to use IE is when I need to connect to my office VPN :)

Me too been trying to use Chrome but always go back to FF after using Chrome for 10mins...contrary to what people say about FF being memory hogger ,in my netbook Chrome takes a lot of memory...

i have never used it continously for more than 15 mins without crashin, so i dont know!
But FF, is a real memory hogger, and it sometimes takes 350 mb, from my 1 gb ram netbook, and thn processor goes to 100% and then everything freezes!
Since i see so many people with no issues with chrome, i guess, it can be a support issue with my netbook?

Chrome is very good, the only reason for me to put off using it is lack of extensions/addons like those of FF. Anyways, using [strike]ChromeOS[/strike] ChromiumOS when i need to go to net ASAP, and it rocks.

BTW, itching to try out the remote functionality which launched just recently.

Chrome is a quick and easy browser : Like a branded computer

You just plug and play

Firefox is more like assembling your own computer

Get the base, customise with add on's

May not be as quiet or small as the branded ones, but its exactly what you want (unless you want chrome,in which case you use chrome)

RAM usage is not really very significant, even if FF uses 1 GB of RAM (its using about 270MB for me as of now), most of us have that much to spare.

avinashwarrier said:
I seriously dont get it , How is chrome going up ???

or is the problem only for me?

I have been trying chrom since its start, and there is not a single time when it doesn't crash in 15 mins of opening:mad:

it is faster yes, very ; but it crashes here and there, and i cant find any reason! simply! DHIM!gone!

The last time it crashed, i was at the payment gateway for a purchase of 2k! Havent got the guts to use it again!

which version are you using? i'm on the dev builds it doesn't crash at all.
theoracle said:
I haven't seen chrome crashing for a long time now, even though I am using the beta version. I have memory hogging problem with Firefox if it is kept opened for a long time.
avinashwarrier said:

which version are you using of firefox?

i'm using the FF7 & the memory consumption has come down a lot, really a lot!

avinashwarrier said:

IE takes up a lot of processing cycles and memory in my case. If i use it, i cannot run any other process for 10~30 seconds, will be very slow.

chrome + fb = flash plugin crash.

it is not that the plugin does not crash on FF, but FF does not hog every last bit of available RAM before realizing plugin crash unlike chrome. chrome will take its sweet time and systems sweet memory... strangle the system until you hard reset system due to frustration.. it will show plugin crash screen in 15mins if you are lucky and patient enough on a x4 clocked at 3.1GHz and 4GB memory..which otherwise has more than 2GB free at ideal.

madnav said:

it is not that the plugin does not crash on FF, but FF does not hog every last bit of available RAM before realizing plugin crash unlike chrome. chrome will take its sweet time and systems sweet memory... strangle the system until you hard reset system due to frustration.. it will show plugin crash screen in 15mins if you are lucky and patient enough on a x4 clocked at 3.1GHz and 4GB memory..which otherwise has more than 2GB free at ideal.

I use FB (FaceBook right? )multiple times in a day from chrome, I have never experienced a crash or freeze?

Any specific game in FB that crashes the broswer?

madnav said:

I have not seen this, my bro uses FB with chrome/chromium while i use FF+chromium.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Sanav3 said:
I use FB (FaceBook right? )multiple times in a day from chrome, I have never experienced a crash or freeze?
Any specific game in FB that crashes the broswer?

think it is the same~facebook. Unless it means Fully Buffered DIMMs/FeedBulletin/Feedburner

Back