Android Google Nexus 4 - Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone with any interesting apps? The phone has a heating problem. Even 20-30 mins of playing temple run 2 heats up the phone.

How many nexus 4 can we order from google play on single credit card and same shipping address of SNS ? couple of my friends are interested.

Proud owner of Nexus 4 (16gb Variant) :)

- - - Updated - - -

I had some heating problem, but after installing custom CM 10.1 nightly with Matrix kernel, the phone runs like a dream... Battery life is decent and never heats up when playing Temple Run 2 or any other games... Even playing Need For Speed Most wanted heats up the phone only to 65 degrees which is normal since the GPU is overclocked to 487 MHz and also using 4 cores continuously......

Nice @aradhakr84 i am not not gonna root from sometime now. Maybe after a month or so i would do it. How do i check running apps like the task manager?

Last edited by a moderator:
^^^ You don't have the dedicated task manager like the Touchwiz.. .So you need to go to the Settings/Apps and slide to the right to see the running apps... There is also Show cached processes option is there on top right corner where you can end any cached processes...

Finally got 20999 Antutu Score on my Nexus 4 :).... I got it without overclocking.... WOW, I finally beat the Optimus G scores and almost equal to DNA/Xperia Z scores :yahoo:Now I do not have to worry about upgrading to DNA or Xperia Z since I am getting comparable performance in my Nexus 4 and more than happy with 720p screen plus waiting for Key Lime Pie....

Quadrant Score is now 5497.... Wondering why CPU scores low in Quadrant??? Maybe 4.2.2 compatibility issue or something...

The ROM I was using is Paranoid Android 3.0 - It is so much cool because it completely hides the software buttons which can be brought up in Pie Style.... Now I can game full screen
The Kernel I was using was Matrix Kernel for cm10.1 with gpu overclock....So no CPU overclock and was running performance governor...

Screenshots:
Screenshot_2013-02-24-16-21-10.jpg

Screenshot_2013-02-24-16-39-53.jpg

Screenshot_2013-02-24-16-24-52.jpg

Screenshot_2013-02-24-16-25-00.jpg

Screenshot_2013-02-24-16-25-09.jpg

Screenshot_2013-02-24-16-25-17.jpg

Screenshot_2013-02-24-16-25-25.jpg

Proud owner of Nexus 4 (16gb Variant) :)

- - - Updated - - -

I had some heating problem, but after installing custom CM 10.1 nightly with Matrix kernel, the phone runs like a dream... Battery life is decent and never heats up when playing Temple Run 2 or any other games... Even playing Need For Speed Most wanted heats up the phone only to 65 degrees which is normal since the GPU is overclocked to 487 MHz and also using 4 cores continuously......

The thermal throttling starts at 37 degrees and by the time it crosses 41 .. the GPU is running at half its clock speed.

The thermal throttling starts at 37 degrees and by the time it crosses 41 .. the GPU is running at half its clock speed.

That it does on factory kernel... There are kernels which allows you to turn MPDecision off and set Thermal options... There is Bricked Kernel, which allows me to set thermal throttling setting and other kernels come already with the setting to make sure it doesn't throttle until it reaches 75 degrees... I use Android Tuner to set the thermal throttling... I make sure the system runs at 1.5 ghz till 70 degrees after which I set it to go down to 1.45 ghz when reaching 75 degrees and 1.02 ghz if reached 78 or above.... Rarely, does my phone go above 75 degrees... So I am running at either 1.5 or 1.45 ghz which is not bad for a device... I also set the GPU on demand...

That it does on factory kernel... There are kernels which allows you to turn MPDecision off and set Thermal options... There is Bricked Kernel, which allows me to set thermal throttling setting and other kernels come already with the setting to make sure it doesn't throttle until it reaches 75 degrees... I use Android Tuner to set the thermal throttling... I make sure the system runs at 1.5 ghz till 70 degrees after which I set it to go down to 1.45 ghz when reaching 75 degrees and 1.02 ghz if reached 78 or above.... Rarely, does my phone go above 75 degrees... So I am running at either 1.5 or 1.45 ghz which is not bad for a device... I also set the GPU on demand...
coool good to know .. :)

Yes, I meant the stock thermd settings..

All N4 owners,

What issues are you facing with your phones?
I'm thinking of ordering one, but would need to know the experience of TE forum members.

All N4 owners,

What issues are you facing with your phones?
I'm thinking of ordering one, but would need to know the experience of TE forum members.

So far the most common issues faced by Nexus 4 users (But they can be modded with custom rom and kernel):
1) Bad battery life with stock rom and kernel... But that can be improved by custom rom and kernel
2) Thermal throttling with stock rom and kernel, which affects the performance... Having S4 pro quad, it was annoying to see it throttled immediately and not capitalizing the full capability... But that can also be modded with custom rom and kernel to avoid thermal throttling
3) Colors are bit washed out.... These can also be modded to achieve good contrast color with custom rom and kernel...

So far the most common issues faced by Nexus 4 users (But they can be modded with custom rom and kernel):
1) Bad battery life with stock rom and kernel... But that can be improved by custom rom and kernel
2) Thermal throttling with stock rom and kernel, which affects the performance... Having S4 pro quad, it was annoying to see it throttled immediately and not capitalizing the full capability... But that can also be modded with custom rom and kernel to avoid thermal throttling
3) Colors are bit washed out.... These can also be modded to achieve good contrast color with custom rom and kernel...

Can u please post which rom and kernel for each of the above points, a link would be appreciated.

I too am facing some battery problem. I think my phone not going to sleep mode. My friend who got the phone along with me has no problems. Both our phones were at 31% after a few hours his was at 26% while mine went down to 10%. Any help would be appreciated.

Nexus 4 - 16GB, hardware rev 11
Official Bumper, Wireless charging orb.

Using Xylon ROM with Harsh Kernel.

Can u please post which rom and kernel for each of the above points, a link would be appreciated.

Results may vary for different users/devices... Sometimes what works for me might not work for you... If you go to this link Google Nexus 4 - xda-developers, you can find lots of different ROM and Kernel.... Play with it, experiment it and you will find something better tuned for your Nexus 4... I flashed lots of ROM before finally deciding on my current one....

Currently I am using Paranoid Android 3.0 with Matrix Kernel... Reason being, it provides good color and also my software button is hidden completely by choosing pie mode.... It is in such a way that now, my phone has complete 4.7 inch screen real estate not only during videos and photos.... But all the time, so my games are played in full screen too.... Plus browsing/News/other apps are in full screen too...

- - - Updated - - -

I too am facing some battery problem. I think my phone not going to sleep mode. My friend who got the phone along with me has no problems. Both our phones were at 31% after a few hours his was at 26% while mine went down to 10%. Any help would be appreciated.

First of all, you would want to check if you are using any apps that might be running in the background to suck the battery even when screen is off.... Because when I was using it stock, the battery life was horrible but that was only when the screen was on... If the screen was off, my battery life was terrific...

I would recommend you try to use custom ROM/Kernel and tweak the kernel so that you are setting the min to 384 MHZ as opposed to 1.026 ghz set on stock kernel... That way you can see if this problem continues...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back