Google Pixel 9 Series

When are they ditching Samsung fabs and making the tensor chips with TSMC??
Google has been designing its own chip for over a year that will switch to TSMC and dump Samsung, but not before next year.

On the other hand, the pricing is atrocious for the (lack of) service and perennial bugged version of Android. Can only hope it settles to realistic pricing in upcoming months.

View attachment 204968

Lol, the funniest thing is there's no service center in the state capital, Patna!
Seems like reliance digital also plans to sell the pixel 9 series and the 8A along with the buds and watch. I don't know hows the resq customer service is but you can get it if you feel like pixel service is not good (saw a lot of reviews of them not being great).

Edit:- Also even for reliance digital I don't think the prices are absurd (For reference look up the price for s23 FE on RIL digital and compare it to the ones on flipkart Or samsung. )

Congratulations !
Pixel phones costs the most in India across the globe !!!

They overpriced it so high so we wont buy it and complain about the overheating in hot environments. Truly an innovative solution.

Congratulations !
Pixel phones costs the most in India across the globe !!!

Honestly have no clue what Google is trying to achieve with premiumization of Pixel series. They are unable to match length and breadth of Samsung's features, they are not iPhones for mass market appeal, their flagship SoCs are as good as A series.
Price them slightly higher then previous A series and they will do much better. Pricing them like Samsung Ultra or iPhone Pro series is such a stupid move.
FWIW, I do love Pixel UI. Used 3 Pixel phones before moving to iPhone primarily due to stability and battery issues.

FWIW, I do love Pixel UI. Used 3 Pixel phones before moving to iPhone primarily due to stability and battery issues.
I really liked the Adaptive Charging feature in Pixel, just plug it in and it will be fully charged when you wake up. But, Pixel's battery just sucks below 10%, vanishes within minutes.

I really liked the Adaptive Charging feature in Pixel, just plug it in and it will be fully charged when you wake up. But, Pixel's battery just sucks below 10%, vanishes within minutes.

Almost every manufacturer has something similar. Apple calls it "optimized charging". I turn it off since I travel a lot and wake up times are inconsistent.

so its good then?

WhatsApp Image 2024-08-24 at 6.20.10 PM.jpeg

most reviews seem to point that tensor is far behind exynos, qualcomm and of course apple.
Does it matter? These phones breeze through tasks, UI is super slick, games are fast. Tell me one thing in real world where these phones fail to perform at peak levels.

We are at a state where software has not caught up with hardware power. I believe these are the best phones that Google ever made/collaborated and this includes Nexus line up as well.

Does it matter? These phones breeze through tasks, UI is super slick, games are fast. Tell me one thing in real world where these phones fail to perform at peak levels.

We are at a state where software has not caught up with hardware power. I believe these are the best phones that Google ever made/collaborated and this includes Nexus line up as well.

While I agree that chips are fast enough that we dont need to bother, for some edge cases as gaming, etc, these things still matter. Besides, I have been burnt once by this thought process. Tensor chip has had(and still does imho) heating issues in India and problems with network reception. Hence, some skepticism with Tensor in particular is justified. I always wait for very long term reviews for these things. Besides, the best time to buy a pixel is the BBD anyway.

While I agree that chips are fast enough that we dont need to bother, for some edge cases as gaming, etc, these things still matter. Besides, I have been burnt once by this thought process. Tensor chip has had(and still does imho) heating issues in India and problems with network reception. Hence, some skepticism with Tensor in particular is justified. I always wait for very long term reviews for these things. Besides, the best time to buy a pixel is the BBD anyway.
G4 definitely has better modem, this is a good sign for next gen Sammy phones as well. After all this is a common problem for Exynos and Tensor.

Given the atrocious price point, it matters a lot lol. But on a serious note, one of my biggest issues with my Pixel 7 is the inefficient soc that heats up and drains the battery pretty fast. The odd time that I wanted to play a game like wuthering waves the experience was simply just unplayable. My main use case was to put grapheneos so no issues on that but it was a huge downgrade in battery life coming from Samsung M51.

Nexus phones were decently priced, but Google seems to have lost the plot post transitioning to the Pixel line-up.
For that kind of price, Samsung has better flagship options. Top notch hardware with support and timely updates (now, that is).
Still rocking my S23 Ultra with Android 15 just around the corner \m/

Given the atrocious price point, it matters a lot lol. But on a serious note, one of my biggest issues with my Pixel 7 is the inefficient soc that heats up and drains the battery pretty fast. The odd time that I wanted to play a game like wuthering waves the experience was simply just unplayable. My main use case was to put grapheneos so no issues on that but it was a huge downgrade in battery life coming from Samsung M51.
How much screen on you usually get on the 7? Without gaming i mean.
PS: when you say tensor overheats, exactly how much is it compared to the SD pixels like pixel 2 or 3? I intend to get a 7 in the coming sales but this overheating thing is scaring me. The pixel 2 i am using overheats and throttles badly in summer but if tensor is worse then I'll skip.

Last edited:
Against all the odds which Pixel series have, I absolutely love the cameras of them. No matter what the situation and environment is, you just need to point and shoot and it never, never disappoints !!!
The computational power of Google is unmatched, till date.

Against all the odds which Pixel series have, I absolutely love the cameras of them. No matter what the situation and environment is, you just need to point and shoot and it never, never disappoints !!!
The computational power of Google is unmatched, till date.

Saving grace are the cameras, Pixel UI and D0 updates. Google assistant and now Gemini are miles ahead of Siri etc (no clue about new Siri since my phone won't get it), but the HW is always lackluster. I struggle to believe that this chipset will be relevant 7 years from now to get Android updates.

How much screen on you usually get on the 7? Without gaming i mean.
PS: when you say tensor overheats, exactly how much is it compared to the SD pixels like pixel 2 or 3? I intend to get a 7 in the coming sales but this overheating thing is scaring me. The pixel 2 i am using overheats and throttles badly in summer but if tensor is worse then I'll skip.
Not sure about screen time exactly but I think it can last for 2 or 3 days on light usage but if I have my wireless charger around then I often place it on it when I am not using it. Most of my screen time is just scrolling on lemmy and some calls, messages etc. I am on degoogled GrapheneOS.

The heating isn't that bad when you don't game but you might notice it a little hotter than other phones but I have a case on it so its not a problem anymore. Its definitely not bad enough to throttle or anything unless you are playing games.

Attachments

• 1724730505522.png
    1724730505522.png
    104.7 KB · Views: 10
Back