Got a detention cum show cause notice from Customs

I have got many things via post and have been charged proper duty every time.. But then that was bangalore foreign post office..

2 tablets were ordered at two different times.. Duty was calculated and sent directly for first one..

2nd time they asked for documents which I sent and got the tab within 2-3 days with proper duty applied..

My dad is in Mumbai customs and this is all bullshit.

My father is in the postal appraising department of GPO, Mumbai.

His posting keeps switching between port, airport and GPO.
Ok its bullshit, what is the recourse?

Could we get the actual rules and regulations with regards to these kind of imports ?

Ok its bullshit, what is the recourse?

Could we get the actual rules and regulations with regards to these kind of imports ?

Its in the hands of the postal people.

Since I haven't faced any such problem, I wouldn't know, would I? Please read my above post.

Its in the hands of the postal people.

Since I haven't faced any such problem, I wouldn't know, would I? Please read my above post.
Well you said your dad is the appraiser, and he would know the rules and regulations, perhaps you could get a small note from him and type it out for us.
1) Imports for personal use via mail, limits, duties etc
2) Imports for personal use via courier, limits, duties etc for common items

He isnt an appraiser , he works in that department.
Well perhaps he could ask his appraiser colleague about the rules ? Since you did say it's bullshit, you must know the real rules.

Also everyone else who is going on about Customs duty, there is another component, its called CVD, add that too.

And the rules are different for mail and courier items, (Courier items are more relaxed)

^CVD Isnt some new component , it has been always applied every time i import something ,whether it be via post or by fedex/dhl.

Counter vailing duty.

^CVD Isnt some new component , it has been always applied every time i import something ,whether it be via post or by fedex/dhl.

Counter vailing duty.
Never said it is new, I noticed most people are pointing out just the duty.

The laws for import are different for both mail and courier, funny but true.

I remember seeing a link from chennaipost on this 2000 restriction, but now i couldnt find :( Nevertheless, here is one link from mumbai FPO where @prateekS father is working..
http://foreignpostmumbai.blogspot.in/2013/05/detention-of-post-parcel-by-customs-in.html
Post Parcel has been detained by Customs since the value of the contents exceeds permissible limit of Rs.2000/-. The dutiable articles, intended for personal use, imported by post or air, are restricted subject to value limit of Rs.2000/-(CIF), as per the conditions laid down under the CTH 9804 under the clause 3(1)(i) of Foreign Trade (Exemption from application of Rules in certain cases) order, 1993. In view of the above restriction the goods having value more than Rs.2000/-(CIF) become restricted for import and the same are liable for confiscation under Section 111 (d) of the Customs Act, 1962 and the Importer is liable for penalty under Section 112(a)(i) of the Customs Act, 1962.

So what is the best way to import now: DHL/FEDEX or Aramex Shopnship?

Use hopshopgo or any freight forwarders, do not import directly if u do not have a license.[DOUBLEPOST=1378908098][/DOUBLEPOST]
I remember seeing a link from chennaipost on this 2000 restriction, but now i couldnt find :( Nevertheless, here is one link from mumbai FPO where @prateekS father is working..
http://foreignpostmumbai.blogspot.in/2013/05/detention-of-post-parcel-by-customs-in.html

There is a reason people use freight forwarders !

So if you have an IEC then it is OK. I have some skins worth $100 coming via USPS. I might have an IEC by the time they reach India. If not, then I hope they have not written the actual value on the package.

Use hopshopgo or any freight forwarders, do not import directly if u do not have a license.[DOUBLEPOST=1378908098][/DOUBLEPOST]

I think ShopnShip is also a freight forwarding service? asking because i have an account with them since the time they started their service but have not imported anything till now.

I didn't say these rules are bullshit... :) I just trying to say that ,No cheating here and there is a rule indeed!

@blr_p

Import license is required for getting costly items into India... here, anything above Rs 2000, including shipping is termed as costly.

Penalty? Simply because OP's stuff was costlier than 2000 and he didn't have an import license. Read OP's post carefully; he was asked to provide an IEC.

Gifts? This gift thing is abused so much now that there's no such term as a gift in customs' dictionary. So, forget about gifts... everyone knows that gifts are undervalued.

Yes, classification of duties is very much applicable... but only to the people who have import license, provided they don't default on any documentation etc.

PO is not discouraging anybody... it's just that they forgot to update their rules. They think that they still live in 1980s.

Export* license for WNX? You are doing a wrong comparison here... WNX, DHL, Aramex etc are not regular individuals... they are huge firms having proper Import Export licenses. Didn't it occur to you that you pay duty as described on customs' website when you buy a Rs 5000 item via SnS/iShop etc? And not just 41% + penalties? Because these guys have licenses and they clear the items from customs for you and hence you pay them the usual duty + convenience/handling charges!

I hope the logic is clear to you now! :p

*Importing country would levy appropriate duty on an item that you send (export from India) thru regular courier guys... WNX etc.

^^ Wow, 2000 as a limit, thats really pathetic. What I find more appalling is they seem to be decreasing and not increasing the limits, just to collect tax.

I have got many things via post and have been charged proper duty every time.. But then that was bangalore foreign post office..

2 tablets were ordered at two different times.. Duty was calculated and sent directly for first one..

2nd time they asked for documents which I sent and got the tab within 2-3 days with proper duty applied..
Anyone care to explain how penalty was not imposed here ?

Anyone want to argue a penalty should have been imposed. I cannot find even indian tablets for 2k.

Why bangalore FPO isn't stuck in the 80s...

Last edited:
^^To really understand that, you need to stand next to the person who scans/clears the imported packages.

If they are bored or if there are piles of packages to clear then they pick up these kinds of items for closer inspection: 1) packages too heavy/big for the price they mention 2) an attractive package 3) a substantially metallic item

They generally don't bother (no close inspection) about stuff bought from areas around HongKong and eBay/Amazon.

Anyone care to explain how penalty was not imposed here ?

Anyone want to argue a penalty should have been imposed. I cannot find even indian tablets for 2k.

Why bangalore FPO isn't stuck in the 80s...

Not only the penalty.

I was asked for documents.I sent documents which clearly showed price as 160$ ,yet no penalty was applied.

Back