Got a Slim PS3!

Ethan_Hunt

Secret Agent Man
Skilled
Yes siree! Can't believe I just got the Slim "fookin'" PS3 (120GB). So now a proud owner of the Dark Horse. I'm 20k poorer in just a matter of minutes, but it only does everything, so I'll let it slide. :D

Now all your PS3 peeps out there, what are the things I need to do before I gear up this beast? PSN? Controller charging? Any sacrificial ritual to please it?

Also any update which I shouldn't be performing on it?

PS: Anyone up for donating games to this poor soul? Got a console with no game to boot. WOW! :ashamed:

BTW the lady at Croma showroom tried very hard to convince me to buy a title and me to convince her to give me a free one (game title!). :ashamed:

Update the software first. Then download the GOW3 Demo. Then place the order for GOW3 with Prashant or some other dealer. Enough to keep you glued to the screen for at least a month :D

And oh uh......Congrats :)

Cheers Sushant. Is God of War III demo directly available now? Sweet!

Also I have an Airtel wired connection, how is the connection procedure in that case to log onto PSN? Direct Ethernet connection I suppose?

Ha ha congrats Ally! :D

Created a PSN account yet? Create one asap! Grab a pen drive and update the system software to 3.15. Get it here.

After setting it up , register on IVG and grab used copies of some awesome games like Metal Gear Solid 4 , Uncharted 1 and 2 , Resistance : Fall of men and maybe even GT : Prologue if you are into racing simulators .

For some Multiplayer FPS action get COD ! .

Haven't even opened it yet. I'll do that tonight, after dinner probably. I'll download the firmware, thanks for the link. Can I directly connect a 250GB USB HDD to it for loading some stuff?

@TC

Congrats Bro!! :hap2:

I guess you own a Xbox 360 as well, er right?

I think you already know about all the good games and all.

Create a UK or US account on PSN as Indian ones don't have access to PS store, etc. You can, although, play online with an Indian account but there's no reason to do so. :)

Also, in the PS3 display settings unchecking the 720p (while keeping all else checked) can have a little impact on the game display.
Some guys find the native resolution (usually 720p, for now) better than any other resolution (even 1080p) but I found a HUGE difference with Killzone 2 when I unchecked 720p (earlier I was getting horrible aliasing, requested TE help too here: http://www.techenclave.com/gaming-consoles/killzone-2-on-samsung-ua46b7000-159467.html).

If you'll, by any chance, be playing Killzone 2, I'd like hear your views regarding the same.

Cheers!!
:)

Ethan_Hunt said:
Can I directly connect a 250GB USB HDD to it for loading some stuff?

Yes, as long as its FAT32.

Congratulations Mr.Hunt,

Things u need to do

1.Use a flashdrive and update ur PS3 to 3.15

2.Connect to PSN and create a US,UK and Jap(optional) accounts

3.Download demos eg.UC2,MGS4,GOW3 demo(although the demo is from a year old build and looks nothing like the final product)

4.Buy Heavy Rain,KZ2 and GOW3...they'll keep u busy for a long time

5.If u want to buy used copies of Infamous,GT5:p and others

6.U can use ur 250GB HDD but make sure its FAT32 and for MKV's re-mux them using mkv2vob

7.Give me and jay a party!!!

Just do not pay heeds to any of the comments above. No game other than GOW deserves to be played sooner. You have to start with Kratos screaming all over your HD screen.

PS3 is made for GOW.

dude....i know ur story with the PS3 purchase and stuff...i read it in some other thread :)

But once u see the difference between the demo and the the final game it will blow u away

Im not dissing GOW...i love it as much as u or even more

andrew327 said:
Congrats buddy, why not a thread in the show off section with some pics....
I'm very bad at show-off's. :p

Created a US PSN ID. Thanks for the direct link Vinay. I'll be connecting the device right now. So let's see if all goes well. I'll report back by tomorrow.

Ah congo my mate. Hope you enjoy her as much i do.

I got UC1 let me know if u need, i can send it your way and when u finish u can send it back. :)

Ethan , UK Account is way better than US Account i would advise switch to UK account.

Also have you subscribed to moviemart ? and whoever said PS3 is made for GOW is wrong its made for MGS4

Congratulations Ethan, we both are recent prowd owners of PS3.

No need to connect 250GB hard disk if you have router & PC, You can directly stream it using PC. Just install PS3 Media server on PC & you are good to go. No need to convert any mkv too.

Hey guys, sorry for the delay is reply. Spent the last night updating and queueing up demos for it.

@Snake: I'll need Jay's copy of UC1 and 2 over the weekend. I'll call you once I'm free and we'll meet up. Yes, we'll definitely arrange for a party. ;)

@Desecrator: Thanks Gannu. Why did you change your ID?

@udayrulz: Thanks pal. I'm already registered on IVG since a long time, more of a lurker on that forum. I'll try to buy a game as soon as I scrape up more funds. For now, no more purchases. :)

@kestrel5915: Yes, I do own a 360 as well. I have unticked the 720p option as you said and also enabled PS Smoothing and upscaling. I suppose, the former is for reducing jaggies, right? I'll create a UK a/c soon enough. Got most of the demos I wanted over US store.

@Vasishta.Sushant: Don't worry buddy. I had purchased the PS2 for God of War and even this console would be for God of War. I'm really looking forward to play God of War III.

@Kushagra: Thank you! Thanks for the video tutorial, however, the wired connection was a piece of cake to setup. I just set everything on auto and the console did the rest of the setup. ;)

@memnom: Hey thanks buddy. Much appreciated. However, I'm getting it from a good friend of mine, so I guess you can enjoy your copy.

@dinjo: I'll create a UK a/c as well. I'll subscribe to moviemart as soon as my next pay check rolls in.

@avvs_2099: Thank you!
Now guys quick quesitions:

1.) I was updating the PSN store yesterday and it gave me a prompt stating that it needs to reserve some 30GB space on the HDD or something like that. I proceeded with it. So does that mean now that 30GB is gone exclusively for the PSN home downloads? How do I undo it? Was it necessary?

2.) Why in the hell is the PSN download so slow? I mean I was only able to download Heavy Rain demo over night and half of UC2 demo. WTF? Is there no way to download demos over the Internet and burn it on some media and then transfer it to the console, like the 360?

My night download speed is 1Mbps btw and it hardly seemed to be downloading at that speed. How do I know the exact transfer rate?

Ethan_Hunt said:
@Desecrator: Thanks Gannu. Why did you change your ID?

Now guys quick quesitions:

1.) I was updating the PSN store yesterday and it gave me a prompt stating that it needs to reserve some 30GB space on the HDD or something like that. I proceeded with it. So does that mean now that 30GB is gone exclusively for the PSN home downloads? How do I undo it? Was it necessary?

2.) Why in the hell is the PSN download so slow? I mean I was only able to download Heavy Rain demo over night and half of UC2 demo. WTF? Is there no way to download demos over the Internet and burn it on some media and then transfer it to the console, like the 360?

My night download speed is 1Mbps btw and it hardly seemed to be downloading at that speed. How do I know the exact transfer rate?

Heh the ID change reflected the type of activity I do about in the forums these days. :p

1. Not sure about that since I don't remember PSN asking me one such option. Someone else who must've created an account recently can help.

2. PSN downloads are slow at times. Blame it on their dedicated servers! I used to get pathetic downloads at times. Why do you bother downloading them? Make friends, borrow or steal a copy and play! :D

Back