Graphic Cards GPU for animation...help!

for normal 3D purpose, a gaming card is quiet enough (as i used 9800GT for 2yr n now using HD5770 without any prob while rendering in both max n maya)..buy quadro cards only if u want to use your pc as a workstation for 3D work only..those cards r specially made for that purpose..

let us know what softwares are going to be used for which a gpu is required.
also if you are looking to get a good gpu to help you render your animation faster then you are going the wrong way as its not going to help.
you will be better off upgrading to a fast cpu.

RadioHeAd said:
Ur kidding right !!!? Then explain why workstations use quadro series and not geforce ?
Quadros might not give a great deal of advantage in gaming, though you get more support in terms of drivers for quadro series from companies like Autodesk. They usually don give support for non Quadro series or even non FireGL.

when using a 3d software like 3dmax / maya / c4d / softimage etc, the gpu is only used when you are modelling or working in the software (i.e in the viewport windows). this is where a good gpu will help. In the case of 3dmax, a quadro/firegl or a good desktop gaming card perform at almost the same level because 3dmax direct3d implementation is great. this might not be the case in maya & other softwares but i am not too sure about that.
the term workstation is the pc where you usually work on, which means you will be doing the modelling, animation & other work that goes into creating a scene where most of the work is done in the viewport which is why most workstations have a good gpu. this is not the case in server machines which are used for rendering where you will find a very solid cpu or a dual cpu setup with lots of ram.

when rendering your image or animation the usage of gpu in the softwares i mentioned above is zero. this is where the cpu & ram is used. so if you think that buying a good gpu will help you render fast then you are wrong.

kippu said:
sheesh you guys dont even read what is written above you ...:(

Man I'm an animation student you don't need even an 8800 GT even an age old 7800 GT can power your rig you just won't get the same level of performance

Back