Graphic Cards Graphics card not being detected

ananyabasu

Disciple
bought my config as earlier posted here ..
athlon ii x4 620
asus m4a785td v-evo
xfx ati 5850
vx 450
problem is my graphics card iss't detected .. i have disabled the onboard one .. please help am in deep trouble,please post with pics if possible ..:(
P.S:Will definitely post the pics .. hope it gets resolved soon.

Hav u connected the pc-e pwr connector to the gpu?
how ur monitor connected to ur gpu (DVI or VGA)?
does ur pc boot with the gpu?If not does it boot without the gpu?

Make sure the card is inserted in the slot properly and the fan is spinning. Also make sure the connector you are using is working and its not loose. Try a Different DVI connector if your card allows. If using converter, check that too. Seldom does it happen that the pc stats but the card doesnt get detected.

See if power cables/PCie cable is inserted firmly......U hhavent mentioned if GPU fan is running or not. If its not running PCIe cable is not inserted properly
if its running at high speed with no display......card is not properly inserted ~hGPU failure.

Reset BIOS to deafult and see if card is getting detected

How do you know its not detected ? Does it mean the you are not getting anything on the monitor or you are getting some error message on the monitor ?

Try the boot in Safe mode and choose VGA display mode if using Windows OS.
With VGA something should display on the monitor.

Else if nothing is being displayed, check you have connected the display cable to the graphics card port and not the motherboard port.

5850 requires 2 PCIE connectors, VX 450 has only one. Hope you are using 2 molex connectors to power the other PCIE connector..

Also try the card on another PC to check if its working or not.

Aces170 said:
5850 requires 2 PCIE connectors, VX 450 has only one. Hope you are using 2 molex connectors to power the other PCIE connector..
Also try the card on another PC to check if its working or not.

+1 this maybe the problem

Ya am using a molex connector .. tried resetting bios .. didn't work .. taking it to the shop today .. they probably will be telling it is not compatible .. please tell what to do next?do i need to change only the board or the board and proccy both??can this be avoided by any means?:S

^ where u from if u are at Chennai i will meet your place let me know if i can test your system

make sure update latest bios from asus website if there is asus bios @software update so it can automatic download and update it ;)

You didn't mentioned whether your system runs normally without any GPU or not also GPU fan spins or not when connected.

There are two PCI-e slots in EVO try connecting GPU to first(Blue) slot and also try updating BIOS.

Try re-seating and check proper cable contacts which connects power to GPU.

my system runs ok with the onboard dvi .. i tried with both the ocie slots no help .. the fan runs at full speed but that's it .. display won't show up.
@Arun.P
I am not living in chennai ..;)

^ err ok :p

btw did u flash the latest bios version

make sure check the 6 pin power connect if stable connect to molex

also tried test the card in your friend system if stable with proper psu

Arun.P said:
^ err ok :p

btw did u flash the latest bios version

make sure check the 6 pin power connect if stable connect to molex

also tried test the card in your friend system if stable with proper psu

Dvi slot of ur gfx can be faulty since ur onboard dvi is working and fan of gfx is spinning.

I know this may sound noob but have u tried disabling onboard IGP.

He says right in the first post that he did that.

Ok another question this might be very silly but still. Are you connecting the monitor to the GPU or leaving it connected to the motherboard display. (im sure you arent that dumb but it never hurts to check :p)

i think as per the link given in guru3d, its a compatibility issue. So unless this board gets a bios update for this, surely this card isnt going to work with this board.

Either the OP has to change the mobo or wait for a bios update...

Well this is the present scenario .. took it to the computer shop and they checked it there .. guess what it worked well in there .. they also changed the dvi to vga converter to check whether the problem was in the converter or not .. but the converter was ok .. the power supply they used was a aero cool one with 730 watts ..here's the model no Aerocool E78-730

For the corsair one they told me they would refund me 3000 rupees and in return I have to take this one .. I told them that I would be getting the TX750 from them under the same condition but they didn't agree with it ..:no: ..:mad: ..I am not sure whether this meets the condition for the 5850,please tell ..this PSU was bought on 9/11/09 anybody wanna buy I have the bill and box with me .. please let me know then I would be able to get the TX750.

Please also tell whether changing the PSU will rectify the problem or not.

Its not hre PSU. Its good enuff. I must say that 780 series has been buggy as long as you use ONBOARD gfx card (DONT NOT KNOW ABOUT 785, but just letting you know). There are many issues regarding this on many forums. Google them. Even I bought a new ASUS mobo having a 780 chipset for my brother and it would not display anything. So, I sent it back and had it replaced with a mobo having 790GX chipset which is working like a charm. Also, I DID NOT try discrete gfx with that mobo.

What you can do is check another gfx card on ur mobo(48xx series or anything) and see what happens. If it works, you know who is the culprit, right?? If it does not, then its your mobo.

Back