Graphics card prices are rising reflecting a global trend

Chinese mining ban flooded the market with GPUs, at least that was one of the main reasons.
Those Chinese gpus.?? They never arrived I guess. May be lhr card flooding kept miners away for a while so they were sceptical initially.
Chinese mining ban flooded the market with GPUs, at least that was one of the main reasons.
Those Chinese gpus.?? They never arrived I guess. May be lhr card flooding kept miners away for a while so they were sceptical initially

The see you then RTX 5000 series launches :p
And consumers will only be able to enjoy them via YT streams where nvidia team themselves play games on 5x series and all we can do is applaud the shortages while virtually enjpying the gpu owned only be by its creators :D
I think people are conflating two different things here, chip shortage for cars is because they cancelled orders and were bumped to the end of the queue. Chips for cars are manufactured on much older nodes which have lower capacity and won't be ramped up by fabs.
GPUs are mostly manufactured on leading edge and closer nodes. 5/7nm. There is no significant shortage in these.
The US printing dollars has created some inflation, companies are also going the "make hay while sunshine" route and raising prices, at each level, which is getting passed on to the consumer.
It just a blame blame game around. I'm ok driving a maruti 800 which has no chips and as far as I can drive at 60kmph and safely reach to destination (who eneds chip based cars in India where the max speed limit is 80kmph)
F merc and bmws...try chipless innovate chipless technology till then rather than wasting time in green blue orange eco friendly thing! If there are no chips then no more such colored technology but just black future and bullock carts! And I'm not interested in a sub 20lac bmws bullock carts!
Yet, Nvidia hit record profits recently. Also read they and even AMD are going to make mining-only GPUs... amid this shortage. So that means even less GPUs in the hands of gamers.
They will make what sells the most where money flows..mining! If this continues even gaming cos. will need to take a big pause or they should ship their games with a gpu!
The markt is crashing.
Enjoy
In dreams and be in dream...until msrp years are back again after yrs and shortages!

Last edited:
If this continues even gaming cos. will need to take a big pause or they should ship their games with a gpu!
It's funny that this doesn't sound completely farfetched. Maybe when game sales drop they'll realize they've taken it too far.

If I may ask a noob question, why is it that cpu's aren't effected by the shortage?
There is a big player in the cpu space who isn't in the gpu or automotive spaces in a major way.
Intel.
They are fully inhouse with manufacturing across the globe, in the us and a few other countries. They don't depend on Taiwanese or Korean fabs as much as fabless companies do.
So while amd has increased the prices for zen 3 cpus, they still need to stay price competitive vis-a-vis intel. Because of this competition, we don't see as much price inflation in cpus as we do in gpus.

Back