PC Peripherals Greatest 50K Rig

cybertragic said:
Graphics Card - 6600 GT PCIe - 10500/- (Relatively inexperienced regarding this so I'll need help on brand and any other options available on this board)

Cabinet/SMPS - Antec SLK 1650B with supplied 350W SmartPower PSU - 3000/- (Once again is 350W enough as it is an Antec. Also do you think I'll get this at Jamshedpur. Wats the price of the SLK3700bqe)
Brands available here are Leadtek, Gigabyte, Gainward, Asus and xfx. Get any of these but the ones from Giagbyte and leadtek are a tad better than the rest of the competition.

350W would just be enough but if you gonna oc and all then get a better psu and the 3700BQE costs arnd 4.5k with 350W smart power.

blade_runner said:
Brands available here are Leadtek, Gigabyte, Gainward, Asus and xfx. Get any of these but the ones from Giagbyte and leadtek are a tad better than the rest of the competition.
Gigabyte is better tha gainward? You mean for cooling or performance in games?

zhopudey said:
Gigabyte is better tha gainward? You mean for cooling or performance in games?
Nah the prob with gainward is the disty, they are acting weird. Still dont have 6600GT pcie stocks afaik. Thats y i did not recommend it and besides they wont be bringing in the golden sample' i think(This isnt 100% confirmed though). And as for performance gigabyte is right up there and Leadtek is a better card overall - cooling and performance wise.

Fow guaranteed performance the golden samples for sure cuz for the others YMMV. Funky got a gr8 score and oc with his gigabyte 6600GT. So when its comes to OC the parameters that need to be taken into consideration are the cooling and the quality of the components. All of the three cos' use good quality components and in cooling the leadtek wins hands down i think.

cybertragic said:
now (Shall add 1 later when I have the dough)

Speakers - Altec Lansing ATP3 - 3000/- (Okay, given all u ppl's suggestions I dont think I'll be goin for the MX5021 now. Any other suggestions here, if the budget could go up to 5-6 grands. Prime purpose is music and watching DivX movies)

if music and movies are your main priority i suggest that you stick with the mx5021..

bottle said:
if music and movies are your main priority i suggest that you stick with the mx5021..

I second that. Also, you could buy the M-Audio revolution someone is selling in the market section. Revo + 5021 will be one sweet combination... :hap2:

I second that. Also, you could buy the M-Audio revolution someone is selling in the market section. Revo + 5021 will be one sweet combination..

Except .. I guess I'll go way over budget then .. btw which are the cheapest thx certified speakers in India

About Leadtek 6600GT.
Guys is there some misunderstanding?
The 6600GT from leadtek does not carry any special cooling. Infact it carries the same cooler the GF4 ti line used to carry., All aluminium and small.
Couple of reviewers cursed Leadtek for that.
The 6600GT Extreme edition is a different card from leadtek and thats not available here. And that carries fancy heatsink.
And its the 6800 line from leadtek that has some nice heavy copper cooling. not 6600GT.

funkymonkey said:
The 6600GT Extreme edition is a different card from leadtek and thats not available here. And that carries fancy heatsink.
not 6600GT.

Can you post links which will show the difference in HSFs between LeadTek Winfast 6600GT TDH and its Extreme version ?

LeadTek Winfast 6600GT TDH was IIRC AnandTech's Gold Editor's Choice but you may want to check that. And BTW, beyond 550MHz there seems to be some element of uncertainty in the oc-ability of all brands of cards unless ofcourse they are factory preset.

JediMaster posted 17.98 minutes later:

blade_runner said:
Nah the prob with gainward is the disty, they are acting weird.

Hmm...me feelin' that way too.
Gainward cards have been known to be very good. But the company situation (still) appears to be in a state of flux. Just read that Hans Wolfram Tismer, their marketing lead, left the company. Also, Gainward still doesn't have any disties in North America. But obviously these may or may not have any impact on the quality/availability of cards here in India.
source: http://www.hexus.net/

Gainward’s greatest “Golden Sample" up for grabs?
Posted on Thursday, 2 June, 2005 by Nick
HEXUS has just learnt that old skool marketing maestro Hans Wolfram Tismer has moved on from recently beleaguered graphics card manufacturer, Gainward. Speaking exclusively to HEXUS at NVIDIA’s Computex party in Taiwan, and in answer to our asking the reason for his departure, Wolfram simply said “There’s some things you can take, and other things are unacceptable.â€.

In our view, this is unlikely to spell good news for Gainward.

Simply put, Wolfram Tismer skyrocketed a relatively obscure Taiwanese graphics card maker into arguably the multinational brand of choice for NVIDIA based 3D gamers across the planet.

We’re uncertain of Wolfram’s plans for the future, but we’ll be surprised if his expertise isn’t going to be in high demand, and of course there’s a lot of graphics manufacturers out there – perhaps especially ATI partners – who could really benefit from the skills, and of course, commercial intelligence he brings to the table.

HEXUS wishes Wolfram all the best for the future.

Yep it did.
It came highly recommanded by AT. They even quoted it was one of the coolest cards they tested.
I dont know what environments they tested this card in but guys over at guru3d hated their Leadtek for its temps and overclocking ability.
Also you cannot install Ramsinks if you intend to on MSI as top ram chips get blocked by the heatsink somewhat.
And its not the best overclocker, not even in the AT roundup. It was one of the coolest according to them but here is the chart of overclocking.

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2295&p=15

funkymonkey said:
About Leadtek 6600GT.
Guys is there some misunderstanding?
The 6600GT from leadtek does not carry any special cooling. Infact it carries the same cooler the GF4 ti line used to carry., All aluminium and small.
Couple of reviewers cursed Leadtek for that.
And its the 6800 line from leadtek that has some nice heavy copper cooling. not 6600GT.
It might carry the same cooler but it does a good job at cooling and is amongst the most silent coolers in the pci-e 6600GT's. The extreme edition afaik sports the same cooler and heats up a bit more than the normal version. Then again Oc'ing varies from card to card so its a not something that one can use a parameter to buy a card unless you take into consideration cards like BFG, or the golden samples frm gainward but then both of them arent available in india. ;)

@JediMaster: The Situation here is even more worse. They(distys) have been promising people pcie 6600GT but still have delivered on their promise ! :rofl:

Last edited by a moderator:
the review at hardwarezone seemed to imply the leadtek had the best cooling as well.

Also remember the software bundle you get with the leadtek

Yep the software bundle is without doubt very good. but i think now you get DOOM3 with gigabyte.
I pickedup gigabyte after reading the reviews and seeing that AT roundup of 6600GTs.
It has a nice solid all copper and very silent cooler.
All i did is removed the HSF, applies the AS5 and ran it. And my overclocks are damn good.
The card which i bought from ragin_ice for my friend too overclocks to similar levels. Thats 2 Gigabyte cards i have personally tested overclocked preety well.
ANd about temps. I am getting only 40C idle and the max i have seen is 59C full load. Thats considerably lower than what most people are reporting their 6600GTs at. Specially XFX users have seen temps in high 80s.
The problem with Leadtek is with the overclocked speeds the card runs hot.
I say do a search for leadtex at guru3d and hardocp/AT and see the user replies. Most ended up replacing stock HSF with NV silencer or Zalman cooler.

And I dont know the reason for this but many people have complained about the poor memory overclock on thrie cards. Its odd bcoz they use same samsung 2.0ns chips as everyone else.

Back