GTR² weekends

OK, got 1:46.1 at monza in a 550 but cut the first chicane. managed a best of 1:47.0 with clean laps using some "race devil" qualifying setup :D will continue practising...

raced with rave just now, he did a 1.43.7 and i was 10 sec slower.... wooooo

edit: ok, back to .47s during practise and the 550 feels vastly different, more stable and shorter braking distances.

im guessing there are some restrictions you can choose on the server as to what driver aids and models can be used?

(i was practising with gt 2004 year model 550s)

so which "league" (cars/models/years) do you folks race (so i can practise the same) ?

vishalrao said:
I tried mouse steering but its worse (dont think I can get used to it either) because I find it hard to find center, keep zig-zagging like a drunkard... keyboard at least I have a chance...
Tweak the steering sensitivity and speed sensitive steering settings (I use 0% and 35% respectively).
Raising speed sensitive steering will make the wheel less twitchy as the car goes faster and faster and help in keeping it centered and stable.

Mouse steering is better than keyboard, no contest. You just need to get a feel for it :).

vishalrao said:
raced with rave just now, he did a 1.43.7 and i was 10 sec slower.... wooooo

edit: ok, back to .47s during practise and the 550 feels vastly different, more stable and shorter braking distances.

im guessing there are some restrictions you can choose on the server as to what driver aids and models can be used?

(i was practising with gt 2004 year model 550s)

so which "league" (cars/models/years) do you folks race (so i can practise the same) ?
Maybe you were using ABS? With ABS the car will feel dramatically different and braking distances will be much shortened.
ABS also automatically enables stability control and so your car won't do that wobbley thing that happens to 1000kg machines being pulled by 600 horses when trying to rein them in from 200+kmph to 50kmph :).

As for cars, the 550 is hands down the best car in the game with the ability to go a full second per lap faster than all the other GT's. The 575 and the Saleen are a close second.
But if you want something more fun, try the Vipers or the Lamborghinis.
And if you are feeling suicidal, try the MC12 (and without the ABS, otherwise it will be a pussycat).

In the nGT roster, the Porsche GT3-RSR is the most fun with its tendency to power oversteer at every corner due to the rear engine.

And the F360 is exactly how James May described it - "You go fcuk, and then you do a 360" :p.
You have to be really smooth with the brakes on this one, as any attempt to brake while cornering will snap it around.

Look what the modding comunity has done to GTR2 :O.
Everything is fan made, the track, the car, the sounds, everything.
[YOUTUBE]3a2V7n9Ld-k[/YOUTUBE]

OK, yes, I had ABS set to full during practise. Was it disabled on Rave's server you think? Do you folks disallow ABS during races? I think you should allow it since its slower than skilled braking anyway (not an unfair advantage) and will help keyboard racers participate better since their cars will be more stable :)

Tried another setup and now my lap time is down to 1:44.015 woohoo... (monza in an f550)...

saumilsingh said:
Look what the modding comunity has done to GTR2 :O.
Everything is fan made, the track, the car, the sounds, everything.

OMG the visuals are so realistic.. I need to try bumping up video settings to see if there's any improvement - I just increased car textures and cockpit detail to max at 1920x1200 - runs smooth so far.

vishalrao said:
OK, yes, I had ABS set to full during practise. Was it disabled on Rave's server you think? Do you folks disallow ABS during races? I think you should allow it since its slower than skilled braking anyway (not an unfair advantage) and will help keyboard racers participate better since their cars will be more stable :)

Tried another setup and now my lap time is down to 1:44.015 woohoo... (monza in an f550)...
Very nice time within a very short period :D.

ABS is allowed in our races and it is a very unfair advantage. Basically you can late brake and steer at the same time without any risk of locking up your wheels and the resultant instability. Shaves a full second off your laptimes just like that.
I brake using gamepad buttons (digital just like a keyboard) and it's not so bad, but noone puts in the effort :(.

vishalrao said:
OMG the visuals are so realistic.. I need to try bumping up video settings to see if there's any improvement - I just increased car textures and cockpit detail to max at 1920x1200 - runs smooth so far.
Here's the Mid-Ohio track if anyone wants it: EMACF1.COM • View topic - [GTL|GTR2|Race07] Virtua_LM Mid-Ohio v1.0/v1.01 released

I remember enjoying the Mid-Ohio track from the old Papyrus Indycar Racing 2 days :) Will try it out, probably this coming weekend...

Also, I lowered the ABS and Traction Control settings from High to Low (the F550 is undrivable for me with them off) and initially it was more effort/difficult and I was about a second per lap slower last night.

Thought I would do a few hotlaps before leaving for work this morning and, well, went *faster* by a tenth! Current best hotlap is now 1:43.9 with an F550 @ Monza :D

Looks like the 1m:44s area is as far as I can go keyboard driving skills wise, now I'm tempted to get an analogue wheel and pedals, which ...must....resist....

edit: BTW what are you peoples' best lap times *during the races* at Monza in F550s? I know hotlapping is different/faster than best laps during races...

saumilsingh said:
Very nice time within a very short period :D.

ABS is allowed in our races and it is a very unfair advantage. Basically you can late brake and steer at the same time without any risk of locking up your wheels and the resultant instability. Shaves a full second off your laptimes just like that.

I brake using gamepad buttons (digital just like a keyboard) and it's not so bad, but noone puts in the effort :(.

Bleh...that's kind-of the reason I don't like to play GTR2 online. Some of the driving aids are turned on partially and some fully. Some of us choose to play without any driving aids cause we're used to it but if everybody elses uses stuff like ABS and full TC, then we're the ones at a disadvantage. I've used the keyboard + mouse without the driving aids and it's pretty usable and it's good fun :p. With a gamepad with analog controls, it's even simpler.

In LFS, there are no optional TC or ABS settings so everybody plays with the same standard setup. Car setups help there too but not to the same extent as GTR2 ones. The good keyboard+mouse users in LFS are at par with wheel users. Why can't GTR2 players put in the effort and practice some games without more of the driving aids on ? :ashamed:

Majority of us like to drive with ABS and TC on, so why dont you put in some time and effort and practice some games with driving aids on :bleh:

vishalrao said:
I remember enjoying the Mid-Ohio track from the old Papyrus Indycar Racing 2 days :) Will try it out, probably this coming weekend...

Also, I lowered the ABS and Traction Control settings from High to Low (the F550 is undrivable for me with them off) and initially it was more effort/difficult and I was about a second per lap slower last night.

Thought I would do a few hotlaps before leaving for work this morning and, well, went *faster* by a tenth! Current best hotlap is now 1:43.9 with an F550 @ Monza :D

Looks like the 1m:44s area is as far as I can go keyboard driving skills wise, now I'm tempted to get an analogue wheel and pedals, which ...must....resist....

edit: BTW what are you peoples' best lap times *during the races* at Monza in F550s? I know hotlapping is different/faster than best laps during races...
I use low TC when I am racing with a gamepad in the more powerful GT's (for the sake of sanity).
In the less powerful GT's and the nGT's, even low TC isn't necessary.

And high TC actually slows you down substantially as it kills revs and destroys your exits speeds in the process. This could very well be reason you just went faster than your previous best :).

ABS is always off and is very manageable even with digital inputs. It also feels very rewarding, which is the entire reason I am playing GTR not Grid :p.

My race times at Monza hover in the mid 1:42's and hotlap times are high 1:41's.
Provided my brakes and tyres are at optimum temperatures ofcourse.

Oh and don't use the Time Trial mode to practice or hotlap. In that mode the tyres are pre-warmed and grip like crazy and everything is just faster to drive than in actual trackday conditions. Use Open Practice.

So I'm at least 2 seconds per lap behind... Yup, I've been doing open practise and not time trials all along, will try low TC and no ABS next time...

Dont worry 1:44s are pretty good and those are the times we end up doing usually. 1:42s will put you into the pro league of Saumil, Cj, etc and you wouldnt feel like racing with us :p

The best lap times around monza in a 550 in gtr2 is ~1:38-39

What I'm worried about is that these are "hotlap" times during practise, meaning you can't repeat them during a race with all the action around you :D It's hard to keep the car on track with all that excitement.

BTW, just did a few more practise laps this evening - improved another two-tenths bringing my lap down to 1:43.7 - this with low TC and no ABS! Replay attached.

Strangely, it didn't feel any less stable than with low/full ABS, in fact the braking distances seem shorter (which I have yet to get used to, find right braking points) meaning there is more room for improvement...

Attachments

• Monza_090601_2009_HOT_LAP-vishalrao-1-43-7.zip
    88.3 KB · Views: 132
tifosi said:
Dont worry 1:44s are pretty good and those are the times we end up doing usually. 1:42s will put you into the pro league of Saumil, Cj, etc and you wouldnt feel like racing with us :p
The best lap times around monza in a 550 in gtr2 is ~1:38-39
Yeah, even my race times are 1:43 only.

Tifosi you get 1:38 :O??

vishalrao said:
BTW, just did a few more practise laps this evening - improved another two-tenths bringing my lap down to 1:43.7 - this with low TC and no ABS! Replay attached.

Strangely, it didn't feel any less stable than with low/full ABS, in fact the braking distances seem shorter (which I have yet to get used to, find right braking points) meaning there is more room for improvement...
If you didn't notice any difference between ABS on and off then you weren't abusing ABS enough :D.
With ABS on, you can take the car by the neck and just slam the brakes and muscle around with the steering at the same time and just fly through corners.

Also Monza is a very start-stop kinda track with hardly any elevation changes. ABS makes a huge difference at twisty tracks like Imola and Magny Cours.
The downhill and uphill braking in some parts of Imola is where ABS truly shines.

I never got a 1:38 :p. My best is around 1:42s

But I've seen people get 1:38s on online servers (i have legit copy).

@Vishalrao - That was a neat lap. You could have pushed more through the lesmos( the double right hander ) and on the straight after that you made a slight mistake which cost you ~0.2. You should start driving on other tracks now :p, monza gets boring really quickly.

Nice lap indeed. It would've been a 1:42 if you had just kept it clean :).

Firstly, stay away from the kerb on the 2nd Lesmo. Get really close to the apex but don't touch the kerb, it's slightly elevated and unsettles your car taking away precious downforce and screwing the exit. And screwing the exit here means killing laptimes since it's immediately followed by a long straight.
Then as Tifosi pointed out, you went off for a bit on the straight itself.

You also nixed your entry into Variante Ascari (the last chicane) by cutting into it too far and putting 2 wheels on the grass for a split-second.
And finally, you went wide into the final 180°.

bottle said:
Does the porsche 956 work in multiplayer ? just did a 1:41:3xx :p

Anyone play Evolution? Just got the legit copy. If not, I guess I have go ahead and get the other version of GTR-2 since none of the stores here have a copy anymore.

Back