User Guides [GUIDE] Rooting and Unlocking your Samsung Galaxy Nexus(Nexus Prime)

01_gallery.png

Hi guys,
I got my brand new Galaxy Nexus on 27th May'12 and rooted/unlocked it within 2-3 hrs of usage
This is just a small guide from me regarding rooting your Samsung Galaxy Nexus(GNex) and unlocking its bootloader
Lets start off with some basic fundamentals on rooting and the bootloader

What is rooting ?
Most of us here don't really know what "ROOTING" really means its become a tradition for most android users,get a new phone and root it but what the hell does is really mean ?
Its not like your gonna dig a hole in the ground and plant small trees for a "Go Green" initiative :p

Jokes apart,Rooting gives for "ADMIN" rights on your phone,Since android is a linux based OS,rooting will give you more access over your android OS and apps that take advantage of the root permissions.
So basically it gives you "SUPERUSER" rights on your phone and your can makes changes to your phone which include but is not limited to uninstalling pre-installed apps that come along with your phone,most of those are useless so untill you root your phone it won't be possible to remove them plus it gives you permissions on installing custom roms and recoveries which won't be possible on stock.

What is a bootloader and why unlock it?
Bootloader in simple terms means a code that is executed before any Operating System starts to run and in an android phone every manufacturer has its own version of bootloader depending on its motherboard,so its basically like a BIOS for your PC
The bootloader is locked by the manufacturers because they want you to stick to their Android OS version specifically designed for the device with those special "UI's"
So before you decide on flashing a custom rom its better to get your bootloader unlocked

Rooting and Unlocking process :
1. Download the GNex TOOLKIT V7.0 and install it from here -
Code:
http://www.mediafire.com/?fawgj0qpriw391m
NOTE : Make sure you have the Galaxy Nexus USB drivers installed first,Connect your nexus to PC/Laptop and Goto device manager and check under Android Phone
It should show something such as Samsung Galaxy Nexus ADB Interface,if not install them first from the above mentioned toolkit

Once installed,this is how the interface for the toolkit looks like(I have an older version 6.2) :
2yv1eh5.jpg

n8676.jpg

2. Choose the proper version of ICS on your phone,I had Android 4.0.2 by default which i then upgraded to 4.0.4(Built no. IMM76I for the GSM version)
3. Option 7 is the "1 click for all" install which is the same for every built listed in the tool,so select that while keeping the Gnex connected to your PC via USB
4. Go to the restroom and have a nice relaxing act of pouring your yellow fluid down the hole(PEE) :p
5. When you get back you will have a rooted phone + a Unlocked Bootloader + Clockwork Mod recovery(custom recovery) installed on your GNex
6. Now you are good to go to flash a kernel of your choice or install a custom rom

P.S - During the steps if you are wondering,what is "FASTBOOT" then this is how it looks on your GNex -
GalaxyNexusFastboot_Bootloader_Mode.jpg

ROFL !! you don't believe it do you ??Its just simple as that...VOILA
Honsetly,I didn't want to ruin the original stock OS look from google so i still haven't installed any custom roms on my phone
But i have tested a couple of kernels on my GNex which are given below

The kernel installation is just optional so please ignore it if don't wish to flash it
1. GLaDOS kernel -
Code:
http://goo.im/devs/aperture/GLaDOS-GalaxyNexus
You can get the control app for the kernel from here :
Code:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=aperture.ezekeel.gladoscontrol

2. Franco Kernel -
Code:
http://minooch.com/franciscofranco/Galaxy%20Nexus/nightlies/
You can get the control app for the kernel from here :
Code:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.franco.kernel

Kernel Installation Steps :
1. Once you have downloaded the kernel,copy the .zip file onto your phone's memory
2. Power off ur GNex
3. Press Power + Both the volume buttons simultaneously and hold them down
4. Now you are in the "Fastboot" where you can see "START" written in big letters and a stupid android bot....At the bottom of the screen it will tell you that the bootloader is unlocked
5. Press the Volume down key key to select "Recovery Mode" and then press the power button to enter the clockwork mod custom recovery,Most Amazing part of the custom recovery is that its fully touch compatible,just awesome
6. Select "Install zip from sd card" and choosing your specific kernel zip and it will start flashing it and then just reboot
7. Install the specific control apps for better customization of your phone

And your finally good to go with your newely rooted and unlocked Galaxy Nexus
Hope someone finds this guide useful and please don't pay attention to spelling errors :bleh:

- You can either consider using Trinity or Franco's kernel
- I'm currently on Franco's kernel
- Yes,the color settings will change once you install the kernel but you can easily control the settings from the control app for that particular kernel available in the play store

There are so many versions for the franco's kernel. Now which one is the latest (stable one of course). I don't mind using a bit old version only it shouldn't be ridden with bugs. About the control app, is it necessary to buy one? That is one thing that is stopping me :p

Thanks for the patience.

There are so many versions for the franco's kernel. Now which one is the latest (stable one of course). I don't mind using a bit old version only it shouldn't be ridden with bugs. About the control app, is it necessary to buy one? That is one thing that is stopping me :p

Thanks for the patience.

Since you are on ICS now,the stable release for Franco's kernel will be "Milestone 4" and if you want a nightly built then go for r196
And no,its not necessary to purchase the control app if can use the commands in terminal emulator to change the settings :p

Since you are on ICS now,the stable release for Franco's kernel will be "Milestone 4" and if you want a nightly built then go for r196
And no,its not necessary to purchase the control app if can use the commands in terminal emulator to change the settings :p

Could you highlight the stable releases for both ICS and JB? For Franco and Glados both.No Nightlies. Nope. Nada. Nope. No No NO. :D

Could you highlight the stable releases for both ICS and JB? For Franco and Glados both.No Nightlies. Nope. Nada. Nope. No No NO. :D

I haven't used the Glados kernel since i shifted to JB(It use to get a bit hot when i was on ICS with this kernel)
But i can tell you that Franco's kernel was stable even when using the nightly releases,on JB stock i'm using the milestone 5 which is a stable release

So just go ahead and use Milestone 4 from Franco since you are on stock ICS,you won't regret that kernel ;)

I haven't used the Glados kernel since i shifted to JB(It use to get a bit hot when i was on ICS with this kernel)
But i can tell you that Franco's kernel was stable even when using the nightly releases,on JB stock i'm using the milestone 5 which is a stable release

So just go ahead and use Milestone 4 from Franco since you are on stock ICS,you won't regret that kernel ;)

I am on stock JB since yesterday. It all depends if I want to test CM9 tonight or not. Then I will be swithcing back to stock ICS. If I do, I will try Mr. Franco's kernel and see the results. I heard the battery life is awesome on that. Then CM9 already has a kernel associated. I guess I will have to take certain measures to remove Franco's kernel at that point of time? Or if I flash CM9 everything automatically gets erased?

Solutions required -

1) Stock Jb kernel suggestion - Already answered. Milestone 5 :) Thanks a lot for that.
2) Stock ICS Kernel - Milestone 4 (Already answered :) )
3) ***CM9 Issues if any upon flashing it when Franco's is already present for stock ICS****
If yes, then how to remove the flashed kernel and bring it back to stock kernel ( if required at all).

Sorry for the trouble again :D

I am on stock JB since yesterday. It all depends if I want to test CM9 tonight or not. Then I will be swithcing back to stock ICS. If I do, I will try Mr. Franco's kernel and see the results. I heard the battery life is awesome on that. Then CM9 already has a kernel associated. I guess I will have to take certain measures to remove Franco's kernel at that point of time? Or if I flash CM9 everything automatically gets erased?

Solutions required -

1) Stock Jb kernel suggestion - Already answered. Milestone 5 :) Thanks a lot for that.
2) Stock ICS Kernel - Milestone 4 (Already answered :) )
3) ***CM9 Issues if any upon flashing it when Franco's is already present for stock ICS****
If yes, then how to remove the flashed kernel and bring it back to stock kernel ( if required at all).

Sorry for the trouble again :D

You don't have to remove the kernel it will automatically get replaced with the one for CM9 or any particular custom ROM that you flash
btw,Franco doesn't support CM bulits...Just an FYI ;)

I am on CM9. Not noticing any great battery improvements as such. Most probably will switch to liquid smooth by tomorrow :p Only hassle are the Gapps. I have to separately flash them. Oh well... :)

YASHBHATT, As you know I am new to both Android and Nexus community, I have few Questions. Is Unlocking the boot loader the final step for me to transfer to YAKJU build from YakjuXW. After that how should I Flash YAKJU jro3C? I Mean What should I Do to update my phone to 4.1 Official ROM after unlocking the bootloader.

YASHBHATT, As you know I am new to both Android and Nexus community, I have few Questions. Is Unlocking the boot loader the final step for me to transfer to YAKJU build from YakjuXW. After that how should I Flash YAKJU jro3C? I Mean What should I Do to update my phone to 4.1 Official ROM after unlocking the bootloader.

Yes,you can avoid the "Bootloader Unlocking" at this point
Once you upgrade to Yakju 4.1.1,then you can go ahead and perform the Unlocking and rooting at the same time,there is just one option for Rooting,Unlocking and flashing custom recovery(Option 8,I guess)

Quick question:
If i buy this from sprint/verizon (through relatives in states) at the dirt cheap rates they are going for and then do the permunlock F***DOCOMO (or any other method, if they exist) will i be able to use it in India with airtel/vodofone? Is this even possible?
What happens to the contract on which I bought the phone once i unlock it? Will the name on the contract get into trouble? (maybe stupid question... but still... doesn't hurt to confirm)

Quick question:
If i buy this from sprint/verizon (through relatives in states) at the dirt cheap rates they are going for and then do the permunlock F***DOCOMO (or any other method, if they exist) will i be able to use it in India with airtel/vodofone? Is this even possible?
What happens to the contract on which I bought the phone once i unlock it? Will the name on the contract get into trouble? (maybe stupid question... but still... doesn't hurt to confirm)

Galaxy Nexus comes in 3 variants : Maguro(GSM),Toro(CDMA) and LTE(CDMA)
Unlocking a GSM device will give you access to other carriers but that's not the case with Sprint/Verizon Galaxy Nexus,even after unlocking you will need a CDMA provider in India for the device like Reliance

As far the contract is concern,read the T&C for the provider before doing anything.Laws in US are far more strict than what we have here,people get sued for just seeing a p3nis :p

I used Galaxy Nexus ToolKit v7.8.0 to upgrade to Jelly Bean on my US Verizon Galaxy Nexus. Since I unlocked the bootloader to do this, did this also unlock the SIM. I am going to London/Europe next month, and want to be able to use a different SIM to have data using a European service provider. Will this work?

I used Galaxy Nexus ToolKit v7.8.0 to upgrade to Jelly Bean on my US Verizon Galaxy Nexus. Since I unlocked the bootloader to do this, did this also unlock the SIM. I am going to London/Europe next month, and want to be able to use a different SIM to have data using a European service provider. Will this work?

No,Unlocking the bootloader doesn't unlock the phone itself
It's still locked with Verizon,contact your service provider for the unlock code

P.S - I'm not sure if this is correct but as far as i now the Verizon GNex sold in USA are locked to CDMA network and doesn't have a GSM radio for international use.The SIM card is dedicated for 4G LTE data not voice
Just confirm this with Verizon, if this is true then you won't be able to unlock the SIM

Back