CPU/Mobo Have I damaged my Cpu ?

I pulled the cooler to strongly and the cpu came out with it. It looked liked i might damaged cpu and mb. I checked the pins they seemed fine so I put the cpu back and it works for now.
Have I damaged my cpu and mb ?

Last edited:
thanks I got really scared. any advice on how to remove heatsink without causing damage ?
1. Just before removing, adjust fan curve for low fan speed. And run stress test for 5 min to raise CPU temperature. High temp will help coming off easily. If water cooler, you'll have to run for much longer as all coolant will need to warm up.

2. Intel LGA has support around CPU, so twist to disengage. But this support changes over different LGA sockets, and probably in different motherboards : so do this twisting only if CPU is snug against its support in the motherboard.

I pulled the cooler to strongly and the cpu came out with it. It looked liked i might damaged cpu and mb. I checked the pins they seemed fine so I put the cpu back and it works for now.
Have I damaged my cpu and mb ?
Unlikely as this is something which I faced few times. Unless one shakes the cooler and the processor gets pulled out which can eventually damaged/break/bends those pins.

Back