Windows Having a weird issue where, after random time, the GPU goes to -1%/100% and entire pc starts to slowdown and eventually hang

Have been trying out AI stuff recently , wherein i was installing python , git etc (all from genuine source)

Weirdly for past few days , the pc starts to slow down after i do say select a browser on my second monitor ,or open up taskmanager . I cant pinpoint what triggers this , but after that , it slowly starts to slow down and everything i click , starts to hang and eventually taskmanager also stops responding , i had to hard reset or reset .. only option.

My pc 3080 , 5600x , 2 tb ssd.

I used DDU and reinstall nvidia drivers to latest ,

Ran Kaspersky , malwarebytes , hitmanpro , all came negative

Ran system integrity check , ran error checking for harddisk related errors ,

updated os , browser etc
checking taskmanager , nothing suspcious.

Solutions thus far (29/9/23)

1. Changed XMP Profile
2. Reseated GPU , checked all wires
3. Removed offending softwares (possible) - whatsapp - Moved to web , taskbarx , etc
4. updated all drivers , os etc
5.ran DISM / CHCKDSK , MEMORY Diagnostic test
6. Scanned with KIS , Malwarebytes,Hitman pro for possible malicious items
7. Removed HWmonitor , CPU-Z , GPU-Z as per @calvin1719 advice - i would have in million years wouldnt have suspected these ..

yet to Reinstall OS and Update Motherboard firmware.

Last edited:
one thing i forgot is , hardly two months back only i moved from 970 SSD to 980 SSD , by cloning the 970 to 980. Would that cause any issue ?

In event manager , i see loads of errors pertaining to Volume shadow copy.

I am looking into the errors , thanks for the advice.

A perfectly cloned disk shouldn't have any issues unless the parent disk and os already had error.
its shouldnt.

DISM , SCANSFC are fine..

sorting through event manager .. but upon next such event , will keep eye on event manager.
i did install cuda drivers , but even before that i was having such weird issues..
any other scan i should do , just to be sure , there is no malware , miners etc ?
changed power setting to balance , nvidia cp power management to normal ,
reinstalled nvidia drivers in safe mode only.

Update 1 :

I saw one event which said "A pointer device has no information about the monitor it is attached to."

I have a usb hub to which my kb is connected. I have now plugged my kb directly into motherboard.

That usb hub was having some weird issues , have taken off from system. Lets see. Hope it should resolve. I do have 5 ext hdd connected..through a powered usb hub , hope its not the issue...

Update 2 :

After removing that hub (anker) , pretty old one too, so far no slowdown ,or weirdness or crash.

Will keep running and let you guys know if it crashes again.

I still remember when my old mouse , kb and ext hdd was connected to it, there were mild glitches , where KB wont work , would have to replug the usb etc. thought i was due to too many usb connected , but recent linus video showed it wont be an issue.

Update 3 :

So far nothing. Anyone can put forth any theories why it caused GPU to ramp to 100% / -1% ? And slows the entire PC slowly ?

Last edited:
Update 4 :

It happened again. there is not much in event manager.. general stuff. Any other method to see what is happening real time ?

I have removed the usb plug given for Cooler Master MM712.

At this point , i am running the very basic peripheral , Kb , Wired Mouse , displays (hdmi and dp) , thats all.

Removed all other USB`s , including powered USB hub >> 4 ext HDD , 2 EXT hdd connected directly to pc.

Anyone can give me some pointers .. i will be happy.

Symptom is same , Randomly the pc starts to slow (particularly after i click or use kb) , GPU ramps up to very high speed , then every window i touch becomes unresponsive.. then goes to complete freeze.

Try one ram at a time (You haven't mentioned the rams and modules)

Try a fresh, clean and neat OS installation and just use the OS for few days while not installing any games or heavy apps.

G.Skill 3200 cl16 4x8Gb ram

Today removed gpu , reseated , checked all wires. was about to shuffle ram , then left , since it might include removing the top radiator(cpu) of AIO.

thinking of reinstalling makes my head spin.. :arghh:

Keeping it as very last effort.

guide me to a get a clean OS ISO

Update 5 :

Few odd things , When it boots , it shows 3 kbds , 2 mice 0 mass ,1 hubs

But i have connected only 1 kb , 1 mouse , audio jack , thats all. Very weird.

Ran Memory Test , it came out fine.

I am finding extremely hard to pinpoint an issue.

Chjanged XMP prfile from 2 to 1 , just in case there is frequency mismatch at 2

Last edited:
for now , i dont have option to RMA the board , since i need to pc for other works(important) for next few weeks.
I havent updated the BIOS though , its almost a year old bios , @rk17 updated it for me before he sold the board. Will do that in case i encounter another crash.

system is kind of stable with xmp 1 profile. someone suggest a tool to identify the issue or track. I tried process explorer (before xmp change) , it too became unresponsive when the system started to hang.

so far no issues. But help me see areas where i am failing to see.
Started Backing up stuff slowly.

Few things in the last month :

1. SSD clone from 970 to 980
2. Too many software/dependency/.net/python stuffs for AI project
3. Too many usb hubs and ext hdd (5-6) ,
4. Too much backups / data back and forth the ext hdd and my nas and my ssd etc.
Thanks Alucard1729 for PM`ing me . Thanks a lot.. Wonderful gesture.

Last edited:
for now , i dont have option to RMA the board , since i need to pc for other works(important) for next few weeks.
I havent updated the BIOS though , its almost a year old bios , @rk17 updated it for me before he sold the board. Will do that in case i encounter another crash.

system is kind of stable with xmp 1 profile. someone suggest a tool to identify the issue or track. I tried process explorer (before xmp change) , it too became unresponsive when the system started to hang.

so far no issues. But help me see areas where i am failing to see.
Started Backing up stuff slowly.

Few things in the last month :

1. SSD clone from 970 to 980
2. Too many software/dependency/.net/python stuffs for AI project
3. Too many usb hubs and ext hdd (5-6) ,
4. Too much backups / data back and forth the ext hdd and my nas and my ssd etc.
Thanks Alucard1729 for PM`ing me . Thanks a lot.. Wonderful gesture.
You haven't mentioned the motherboard brand/model.
In bios, do check for auto AI OC option if thats present and enabled. Disable it/make it manual! I had such option in earlier Asus mobos and most of the time the culprit used to be this AI OC tweaking which is unfortunately by default enabled in many mobos.

Have been trying out AI stuff recently , wherein i was installing python , git etc (all from genuine source)

Weirdly for past few days , the pc starts to slow down after i do say select a browser on my second monitor ,or open up taskmanager . I cant pinpoint what triggers this , but after that , it slowly starts to slow down and everything i click , starts to hang and eventually taskmanager also stops responding , i had to hard reset or reset .. only option.

My pc 3080 , 5600x , 2 tb ssd.

I used DDU and reinstall nvidia drivers to latest ,

Ran Kaspersky , malwarebytes , hitmanpro , all came negative

Ran system integrity check , ran error checking for harddisk related errors ,

updated os , browser etc
checking taskmanager , nothing suspcious.
Generally OS slowdown after start is linked with RAM failure.
You can try-
1. Removing the installed RAM and using different/someone's RAM to check.
2. Updating the Graphics Driver.

sorry ,

MSI MAG TOMAHAWK X570
AMD 5600 X
EVGA 3080 LHR FTW3 EDITION
CORSAIR 110i AIO
GSKILL 3600 CL16 8x4GB
WIN 10
KIS
3 LIANLI INFINITY FANS
850W COOLER MASTER PSU
ROCCAT Vulcan 121 AMO KB
CM MM712 mouse
DELL S2721DGF
BenQ GW2480
Generally OS slowdown after start is linked with RAM failure.
You can try-
1. Removing the installed RAM and using different/someone's RAM to check.
2. Updating the Graphics Driver.
I think the title is misleading at present juncture of the problem.
The System runs fine for X amount of time and then something initiates a slowdown and subsequent crash.
But after changing to XMP PROFILe , the issue has not pop`d up.
Also as per @rk17 , i have disabled fastboot on windows as well , will be doing the same in BIOS as well.

Its been years a problem like this rose for me which went to creating a thread and asking for help..(remembering the days on digit forum)

Last edited:
Also, check in Task scheduler for any fishy/malware task entry which sets itself active/trigger after a specific interval resulting in the slowdown.

Last edited:
nothing suspicious.. from the looks of things. But thanks again for pointing them out.
ran three software to weed out any malicious software.

anyway disabled most of them , particularly the sh%t edge

So far no crashes.. wish it just continues the work well from here on. @rk17 did point me on whatsapp that it could be something to do with fastboot enabled on last ssd and not being carried over to new one properly.

Attachments

• mmc_xlKl3nNydH.png
    mmc_xlKl3nNydH.png
    30.3 KB · Views: 46
If the problem resurfaces, boot from a Linux Live USB and use it for a 2-3 days. If you face problem in Linux too, it is your hardware. If not, its windows.
true.

Update 6

Two days nothing happened. I was simply browsing the web with waterfox , vivaldi and whatsapp was there .. There was some weird interaction , and i noted , when i start pressing backspace (keep pressing) in whatsapp it started to hang... i mean , it could be either the system was already started to slowdown/crash in the background or this KB input initiated it.

More weird. Atleast the frequency came down. Removed few softwares like samsung magician , TaskbarX ,etc

Moving and planning to do a reinstall of win 10 fully. someome please point me to original ISO (latest) and also for office.

I have very strong belief it could be the shitty whatsapp :mad: {uninstalled]

Last edited:
true.

Update 6

Two days nothing happened. I was simply browsing the web with waterfox , vivaldi and whatsapp was there .. There was some weird interaction , and i noted , when i start pressing backspace (keep pressing) in whatsapp it started to hang... i mean , it could be either the system was already started to slowdown/crash in the background or this KB input initiated it.

More weird. Atleast the frequency came down. Removed few softwares like samsung magician , TaskbarX ,etc

Moving and planning to do a reinstall of win 10 fully. someome please point me to original ISO (latest) and also for office.

I have very strong belief it could be the shitty whatsapp :mad: {uninstalled]
Download microsoft media creation tool. It will download windows 10 iso and prepare bootable USB

Back