Graphic Cards HD 4850 vs 9800GTX+

vrd

Adept
ok,..i have almost finalized on the Radeon HD 4850.

but still i cant get 9800GTX+ out of my head,..it is only 1k costlier than 4850 and seems to be beating 4850 in most of the benchmarks:

AnandTech: NVIDIA's First 55nm GPU: GeForce 9800 GTX+ Preview
Legit Reviews - ATI Radeon HD 4850 Versus NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX+ - 3DMark 2006
My take on the 4850 vs 9800GTX+ - [H]ard|Forum

also it seems that the 9800GTX+ seems to be oveclocking well against the 4850 while consuming less power.

and on a more personal note,..i have never had a ATI gfx card before so i am a bit skeptical about changing sides :eek:hyeah:

i guess my real question is which of these cards will be more future proof?

the GTX are never future proof as they are notorious for generating more heat, consuming more power..

More-Over, Crossfire technology is Much more Advanced than SLI, so IMO go for HD4850 Sonic Edition : 10990

No card is future proof IMO
Technology keeps changing so fast in gfx scene and new ones come out every 3 months

I would say, go for the one which is best bang for buck, that should be 4850, Also buy the brand which gives 3 years warranty (so better resale value)

GTX is only 740/1800~/2200. I Tested GTS @ 800/1998/2400, and 4850 @ 700/1100, ATi has good lead, DiRT/GRID/TDU favours ATi, 800 score lead in vantage (same config), Silent @ 45% fan RPM and effective too. Lead in Crysis and Warhead too.

I dont whether know you will buy this from me or not but ATI has better IQ (image Quality) also. However dont get the standard 4850.

You best bet is this one:

Palit HD4850 Sonic Review » Page 16 - Conclusion - Overclockers Club

Conclusion:

The Palit HD4850 Sonic is an overclocked card built on a purpose built PCB. That purpose is to provide a card that is both stable and overclocks like gangbusters. It delivered clock speed increases of 15% on the RV770 core and a hefty 26% on the memory. OverclockersClub has done a few reviews on the ATI based HD4850 cards to show a wide range of performance with non reference cards with unique heatspreaders to just your basic reference video cards. Of the seven tested to date the Palit HD4850 is the cream of the crop. The three phase power design helps to get the most from this card. It just rocks. When pushed to the maximum this card gave the HD4870 and GTX260 a run for their money and and won in most instances. You just normally do not see that from a nice mid-range card. I have got to give Palit props for this card.

Performance is not the only part of the package here. There is the cooling solution that works to effectively remove the heat generated by the core. As you know, the reference design does cool decently when the fan speed is manually adjusted via aftermarket programs such as Rivatuner or with a profile edit. But ATI's driver package does not allow the card to be cooled effectively because of the way the fan speed is controlled. This causes stock cards to run under load in the 90 degree Celsius and up range. Pretty much a card killer in my book. This issue is not a problem with the Palit HD4850 Sonic. Load temperatures were in the low 60 Celsius range with the driver controlling the fan speeds. When the fan speed is manually controlled and pushed to 100% the Sonic would load in the 50 to 51 Celsius range, a nice improvement. Setting the fan speed to 70% was a good compromise between noise and heat with the Sonic in the same 51 Celsius range. The fan on the cooling solution is a lot like the reference design when it is ramped up. It can be a bit noisy but that 70% mark was a great compromise. Delivering incredible performance out of a mid-range card, Palit has done a great job with this one. It performs well above its price point when pushed to the limit. If an HD4850 is going to be a part of your next build or you are looking for a good upgrade, the Palit HD4850 Sonic Overclocking Edition is the card to buy, hands down! It's got it all, price, performance cooling and good looks!
Pros:

Massive overclocking

Great performance

Non reference design

Three phase power circuit

Cool running

Factory overclocked

Performs outside its price point

Priced to sell

Cons:

Fan noisy at 100%

:p :p

PM rahul for quote...

TheITWares - Graphic Cards

vrd said:
ok,..i have almost finalized on the Radeon HD 4850.

but still i cant get 9800GTX+ out of my head,..it is only 1k costlier than 4850 and seems to be beating 4850 in most of the benchmarks:

AnandTech: NVIDIA's First 55nm GPU: GeForce 9800 GTX+ Preview

Legit Reviews - ATI Radeon HD 4850 Versus NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX+ - 3DMark 2006

My take on the 4850 vs 9800GTX+ - [H]ard|Forum

also it seems that the 9800GTX+ seems to be oveclocking well against the 4850 while consuming less power.

and on a more personal note,..i have never had a ATI gfx card before so i am a bit skeptical about changing sides :eek:hyeah:

i guess my real question is which of these cards will be more future proof?

thanks for the quick replys guys.

i did not know that CF was a better performer than SLI.

one more point i think tilts the scale in 4850's favour is that it supports DX 10.1 while the 9800+ is only DX10

vrd said:
thanks for the quick replys guys.

i did not know that CF was a better performer than SLI.

one more point i think tilts the scale in 4850's favour is that it supports DX 10.1 while the 9800+ is only DX10

Just being the Devil's advocate here (I am thinkign of gettign a 4850 as well) but the NVidia cards support physx.

No card is future proof IMO

Technology keeps changing so fast in gfx scene and new ones come out every 3 months
amen to that..... ATI cards are showing a gr8 deal of performance after the ATI 3XXX series. But Nvidia has still to put up more comparing the cards at the same level

@whatsinaname AND vrd: Both Directx 10.1 AND physx are overrated as of now. Not many games use these extra features to great effect that you must have either of these :p Unless you have a specific app for which you will get a critical boost, ignore both of these ;)

very well put there by techie .. nvidia is just trying to sell their cards by hook or crook. Now that they are giving away Fc2 and some other games most of the un-loyal :p ppl would go for Nvidia. I am shifting to the red camp soon just for the CF feature ;)

i guess my final choice is going to be the Palit ati radeon 4850 sonic only!

one more reason i am choosing this is because i will be able to run it in crossfire on a intel p35 chipset board also.

if i choose the nvidia card and later decide to run it in SLI,..i will have to get one of the nForce boards which according to many people don't OC well,are unstable and heat up a lot.

If you have a P35 chipset , then no way you should go for nVidia. You shud have mentioned that in the first post hehe.

Go for the Sonic card if you wish for a bit more performance , plus the cooler is also slightly better , thus reducing the slight heating problems in the ATi cards , but if you are on a budget , go for the normal 4850.

Well, if you plan to run something other than Micro$oft Windows, then nVidia has better cross platform support (Drivers for Linux, Solaris, FreeBSD).

If you have a P35 chipset , then no way you should go for nVidia. You shud have mentioned that in the first post hehe.

actually i dont have it. i was planning to get a new one. i am going to take the final decision on which board to get(p35 or nForce) depending on the gfx card:)

Back