Storage Solutions HDD Price ... coming down ...!

I'm still a bit freaked out using anything bigger than 512gb. Losing 1tb or more in one shot is too much. Prices we can't do much about, if they wanna rip us off to the max, they will. Just wish HDDs would be as reliable as they were say 5-10 years ago. I mean, they had warranties of 1-3 years and we NEVER had to even claim them. Now it's just ridiculous. No matter what, you have to have a secondary backup solution like dvds etc.

I'm still a bit freaked out using anything bigger than 512gb. Losing 1tb or more in one shot is too much. Prices we can't do much about, if they wanna rip us off to the max, they will. Just wish HDDs would be as reliable as they were say 5-10 years ago. I mean, they had warranties of 1-3 years and we NEVER had to even claim them. Now it's just ridiculous. No matter what, you have to have a secondary backup solution like dvds etc.
its all now quantity v/s quality now

^^ Before 5 - 10 years, we had only IDE HDDs wherein the transfer rate, cache, buffer, etc, etc, and finally the capacity was much much low. The HDDs were also big in size and good quality components were used. But now the situation changed. We use advanced O/ses and run games with high complex graphics which cross several gBs of data and an HDD has to run a lot of tasks while doing some complex calculations at a given time... So the lifespan of todays HDDs cant be estimated.

But the price is ridiculous which has to come down which situation is awaited by millions of PC geeks.

As rightly pointed out by -dovakhiin, it would take a long time before they reduce the prices even if they have recovered the loss.

lol.

1TB internal ones used to be 2.6K, and external USB3.0 HDDs used to be ~3.9K, and USB2.0 ~3.5K back in August,2011.

not really! The prices went up two months back and came down a bit. I read that there is going to be a 9% decrease in coming 5months from now. So freaks who are dreaming about an 1Tb hard drive for 2500 or below 3k should wait for an year more.

Wonder why the Chineese aren't making any el'cheapo HDDs taking advantage of the situation. Hdd technology isnt something too much for them, as they are already making flash memories/tablets etc with decent enough technologies. Atleast that would tecah the so called two mega brands , ie SB and WD a lesson.

First they cleared out all other companies from this market like maxtor, samsung etc and now they can do anything. I think theyve been receiving secret marketing classes from Intel

Wonder why the Chineese aren't making any el'cheapo HDDs taking advantage of the situation. Hdd technology isnt something too much for them, as they are already making flash memories/tablets etc with decent enough technologies. Atleast that would tecah the so called two mega brands , ie SB and WD a lesson.

First they cleared out all other companies from this market like maxtor, samsung etc and now they can do anything. I think theyve been receiving secret marketing classes from Intel

There is a more lucrative market called the 'Flash' market which they are already conning!

Err, hard disks are a whole different ball game, they require state of the art clean rooms etc. to manufacture and the tolerances required are unbelievable. Especially with newer tech like GMR heads, perpendicular recording and areal densities going through the roof. Not saying it can;t be done in china, but most cheap-a$$ chinese companies wont be able to pull off reliability. As it is the failure rates are too high.

Well, for China ANY product is a market for them.
<
And I strongly believe they could easily manufacture hdds. Why they haven't been doing that yet, is something I would like to know as well.

Why to enter in that market where already established brand doing with very low margin (may be) & peopel have STRONG brand loyality with Seagate, Samsung, WD etc..

Well, for China ANY product is a market for them.
tongu23e.gif
And I strongly believe they could easily manufacture hdds. Why they haven't been doing that yet, is something I would like to know as well.

Why to enter in that market where already established brand doing with very low margin (may be) & peopel have STRONG brand loyality with Seagate, Samsung, WD etc..

That is a point, but it has never deterred them from entering other markets which already have well established brands.

GUys i dont know how true it is but

there is this computer place called vishal computers and they are selling 1TB hdd for 2.7k
<

its in ritchie street in nakoda complex

Back